Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In process of deciding how much money to put into my older 27.5. For those who have gone from 27.5 to 29 have you noticed much difference as far as ease of hills etc ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have you checked the state of 27.5+ tire selection lately? Seems like manufacturers have given up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In process of deciding how much money to put into my older 27.5. For those who have gone from 27.5 to 29 have you noticed much difference as far as ease of hills etc ?
No I haven't seen much of a difference. But it's a lot easier to find the tyres and rims I want in 29er than in 27.5

·
passed out in your garden
2,844 Posts
will a 29 wheelset fit in your 27.5 frame?

I did that on my HT after destroying the 27.5 rear, Ill never go back.........

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I time my climbs (actually, my rides) because I try to get gear that enables me to keep up with my son who is 38 years younger than me. It's a lost cause, but at this point, I'm just trying to make sure he's not too bored to ride with me. When I went from a very nice 27.5 to a very nice 29er, all of my times consistently improved; climbing improved, but there were some descents that did as well. But, that could also be that between 2015 and 2018 when I made the change, designs across the board improved. One descent in particular, Bull Run in Moab, was a descent that I had not been able to clean until I got on the 29er. The suggestion that I should just get better, rather than get better gear is valid, but I'm 68....I'm not going to get better. But the gear will and I'm running out of time to spend the children's inheritance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Really, I thought it was latest greatest
When I got back in to riding in 2018, I ended up with a 27.5+ only frame and my buddy said it’s on the way out. Then I switched to a 29/27.5+ karate monkey frame last year. Had an issue with new bike and decided to switch back to old frame recently. Was rather surprised at the lack of availability of tires. For example, WTB Rangers no longer made. Maxxis Ikon, same. Those are arguably 2 very popular tires. Lots of new 27 tires that are non plus (< 2.8). To your original question, there is a difference but it is subtle. For me, the biggest difference was down to the lowering of BB height and diff in CS length on the same frame (KM) when I switched back and forth. Another option is to ride a mullet configuration which I did do for a while. I just personally think because of 27.5+ tire availability I would not count on it in any way. It feels like a bit of a scam though because there are still 27.5+ bikes sold and marketed. Hate this part of the industry. Enforced obsolescence.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
When I got back in to riding in 2018, I ended up with a 27.5+ only frame and my buddy said it’s on the way out. Then I switched to a 29/27.5+ karate monkey frame last year. Had an issue with new bike and decided to switch back to old frame recently. Was rather surprised at the lack of availability of tires. For example, WTB Rangers no longer made. Maxxis Ikon, same. Those are arguably 2 very popular tires. Lots of 27 lowering of BB height and diff in CS length on the same frame (KM) when I switched. Another option is to ride a mullet configuration which I did do for a while. I just personally think because of 27.5+ tire availability I would not count on it in any way. It feels like a bit of a scam though because there are still 27.5+ bikes sold and marketed. Hate this part of the industry. Enforced obsolescence.

I did a quick search on the Maxxis, Bontrager, and Continental sites and it looked like there was a very good selection of 27.5 plus tires. That may change though; who knows?
I've ridden 27.5+ and found the setup to be too sluggish for my personal preference, but it was mighty comfy!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I time my climbs (actually, my rides) because I try to get gear that enables me to keep up with my son who is 38 years younger than me. It's a lost cause, but at this point, I'm just trying to make sure he's not too bored to ride with me. When I went from a very nice 27.5 to a very nice 29er, all of my times consistently improved; climbing improved, but there were some descents that did as well. But, that could also be that between 2015 and 2018 when I made the change, designs across the board improved. One descent in particular, Bull Run in Moab, was a descent that I had not been able to clean until I got on the 29er. The suggestion that I should just get better, rather than get better gear is valid, but I'm 68....I'm not going to get better. But the gear will and I'm running out of time to spend the children's inheritance.
I ride with guys who are alot younger as well, my main concern as well is not becoming and anchor. I'm leaning towards making a 29 my econd bike and holding onto my old 650

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,366 Posts
Never dabbled with 27.5 since I was already on 29er and happy. What sold me was that I could ride things on a rigid 29er I struggled with on a moderate travel 26er. Switching back to 27.5 never appealed enough to invest in a new frame/ bike.

It's always seemed to me that 27.5 was only appealing when paired with Plus, or if you were shorter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have both wheels on my bikes:

2018 Cannondale Jekyll 3, 27.5
2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy C R, 29

I can't draw a fair comparison between the wheels because the jekyll is an enduro and tallboy is short travel. It's refreshing to switch between the bikes and I feel that I can't sell either because they're fun in their own ways. I will say though, if I had a choice, I would switch the jekyll to 29 because that bike is intended for technical/downhill riding. But the bike has been good to me and i'm not the type of person to change a good thing for a marginal benefit. I'll end up riding it until its tired and then make a significant upgrade. Idk where you are at with your 27.5 bike, but if you feel its tired, then yeah you might want to try something new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's hard to isolate wheel size as a factor in performance when so much has changed along with the larger wheels, some of the changes to better accommodate larger wheels. Trying to account for better acceleration vs less resistance to trail rollovers, faster side to side mobility vs better high speed stability especially when these differences are probably tiny... usually you end up with lots of conflicting opinions about what people prefer and which produces better times.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know it's tough advice to follow with current restrictions, but the more demo rides you can do, the better. I would avoid over-simplifying your choice to tire size. It may be tire size that makes the most difference for you, or it may be something else entirely and you won't know without riding the bikes. I know for me, I couldn't make the adjustment from 26" to 29" and got a 27.5. I've heard enough how 29 is faster that I believe it, but from what I've seen it's minimal (seconds in a mile). Based on that, whatever bike you enjoy regardless of tire size is the one you should ride.

If your enjoyment really does depend on getting every bit of speed possible, see if you can fit bigger tires on your 27.5. The same things I've read that convinced me that 29 is faster, also demonstrated that 27.5+ can be even faster still. If you can fit good 2.8's on your bike and run lower pressures, that may make the most difference for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like my new 29er a lot more than the 27.5+ I had... It just rolls smooth and the miles fly by. Geometry has a lot to do with it, but it's also the best climbing bike I've ever had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently went 29 front and 27.5 rear - best of both worlds I think - love the benefits of the big wheel up front and the better handling of 27.5 rear. Mullet all the way (if your bike can do the setup, that is ;)

Reactions: thegock

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got back into mtb in the past few years and have found that wheel size is less important than the overall geometry of the bike, and how that matches your personal preference (or not). I tried a full sus 27.5 first and it felt awkward and too tall, but then tried a hardtail 29er and it felt fantastic. Still riding that 29er. So my suggestion would be to try as many bikes as you can get your hands on. The other comments are 100% correct regarding tires though : tire companies are trying to phase out 27.5. Still, you could probably stockpile some if you found the perfect 27.5 bike and you have some skills finding things on the internet.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,005 Posts
A lot depends on what terrain you typically ride.

I've been riding 29er's since ~2008 and picked up a rigid SS MTB (with more modern geometry) that can comfortably accommodate either wheel size. On more technical trails and somewhat shorter rides (maybe 35-ish miles or less), 2.6 rear / 2.8 front 27.5's are excellent. For more XC-ish trails, gravel or urban assault and longer all trail rides (up to 100 mi), I prefer 29er wheels 2.25 rear and 2.4 or 3.0 front.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got back into mtb in the past few years and have found that wheel size is less important than the overall geometry of the bike, and how that matches your personal preference (or not). I tried a full sus 27.5 first and it felt awkward and too tall, but then tried a hardtail 29er and it felt fantastic. Still riding that 29er. So my suggestion would be to try as many bikes as you can get your hands on. The other comments are 100% correct regarding tires though : tire companies are trying to phase out 27.5. Still, you could probably stockpile some if you found the perfect 27.5 bike and you have some skills finding things on the internet.
I'm going to have to find a demo event before I buy, the problem is they generally dont bring their mid range hard tails

1 - 20 of 44 Posts