Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 29r has arrived. It has American Classic wheels. Tubes with 28mm valve stems are in the tires. This leaves just a short piece of the stem to seat the pump chuck. I ordered three tubes from Bike Tires Direct. They claim on their web site that the tubes have a 34mm stem. The tubes arrived today and they have 28mm stems. I see that bike29.com has 10 tubes for $20 that have 36mm valve stems, but I'm concerned about what I'd really get if I ordered them. Can anyone shed some light on tube sources and true stem lengths?

Thanks.

Chuck Davis

BTW - I assume the measurement is done from the stem base to the stem end and it doesn't include the valve core.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Monument247 said:
My new 29r has arrived. It has American Classic wheels. Tubes with 28mm valve stems are in the tires. This leaves just a short piece of the stem to seat the pump chuck. I ordered three tubes from Bike Tires Direct. They claim on their web site that the tubes have a 34mm stem. The tubes arrived today and they have 28mm stems. I see that bike29.com has 10 tubes for $20 that have 36mm valve stems, but I'm concerned about what I'd really get if I ordered them. Can anyone shed some light on tube sources and true stem lengths?

Thanks.

Chuck Davis

BTW - I assume the measurement is done from the stem base to the stem end and it doesn't include the valve core.
I used to sweat this stuff too....I went to my LBS and bought some valve extenders (problem solvers)....they cost a couple bucks and allow me to buy what ever tubes are on sale. twist these babies on, air them up and ride!

here is an example (although they cost a bit more than I paid)
http://www.webcyclery.com/search.php?substring=valve+extender

·
wawe member
892 Posts
Monument247 said:

Thanks.

Chuck Davis

For your current tubes, a schrader adapter will do the trick and are usually $1 at a LBS.

As for Bike 29, they're a LBS too. GIve them a call and see what they have to ship you.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Monument247 said:

Thanks.

Chuck Davis

Bontrager tubes I ordered from bike29.com (2 tubes with 2 Nanos) a month or so ago had over 40mm valve stems lengths (that doesn't include the valve core) and are designed to be used with deep dish rims. With the valve core, the length of the Bonty tube is 48mm. Not sure if those are the same tubes they are selling in the 10 tube deal, but give them a call and ask what kind they are and what the valve stem length is. Or shoot them an email. Either way, they'll answer your question.

Speedgoat sells the Bontrager standard 29"er tubes as well with the long 48mm valve stems. The slime filled tubes have shorter valve stems, so if you want the long ones - get the standard 29"er tubes.

I think Continental 29"er tubes have really LONG valve stems as well. I wore my pair out last year and tossed them after umpteen patches from all the thorns where I ride. However, I seem to remember they were quite long with a silver valve stem.

BB

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
26inch

You can use 26 inch tubes in a 29er. So whatever they have at your local shop will do.

Also if you use that little nut sometimes it can yant the stem out far enough if you tighten it down.

-M

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input. I have a couple of plastic valve extenders that I can use until I get this straightened out. The metal ones leak if you loose the little o-ring. You then have to use Teflon tape. Regardless, I don't want to start out with fixes like that on my beautiful new Dean 29r Colonel. 8) The same thing for the shraeder adapter, plus my floor pump only does presta. I emailed George at bike29.com for some info. The 26" tube solution is a little scary, but that'll have to be my spare until I get this straightened out.

I've learned more than I wanted too about stems. I have many tubes around, both 700c and 26". Evey one of them is 28mm except three 700c I have from Performance that are 43mm. Go figure.

Chuck Davis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.