Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, I'd like to give a try in 29" wheels to ride in rocky and tight ,slow speed single traks in rain forest here in Brazil.
I current own a Ibis HD 26" and many times I stay stucked into rock gaps or deep roots or deep holes I wonder how much cold be better on 29",some friend have 27,5 but I can see any advantage over 26" when we ride together.
I'm thinking in Specialized Enduro 29', it is a good option?Are there another sugestions?
regards

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dont rule out shorter travel 29er..
Banshee phantom(soon to be release) and kona process 111should be on your shortlist.

I come from a canfield bros one, i rode a canfield yelli screamy at the same time...i could ride the same trails almost at the same speed with both bikes...i chose the process for this year, wich is to me a full suspension yellii...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can't speak for the other bikes but I put about 200 miles on my Remedy 29 last year and it's more of a point and shoot type of bike, very plush, but not so nimble (depends on your riding ability). Like mentioned above the stays are a big factor for maneuverability, but I would also look at the wheelbase of the bikes you are considering.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,330 Posts
I love my enduro 29, but where I've always noticed that 29ers "slow you down" is switchbacks/tight turns at moderate speed. At slow speed it's no problem to get through tight stuff, and at high speed you just rail through faster than the smaller wheels can come up, but for a tight course correction at moderate speed you have to slow down and then speed up out of the turn, this is where you "lose" the most speed and the smaller wheeled bikes can pull ahead. Lots of people think it's the "super tight" stuff where the 29er will fare worse, but in my experience there's just not enough gyroscopic wheel force to make that true. Again, all said, I love my enduro 29, it's just so much fun on the downhills. Doesn't "feel" like a "traditional" 29er with crazy long chainstays.

·
Here, diagonally!
2,097 Posts
Lots of people think it's the "super tight" stuff where the 29er will fare worse, but in my experience there's just not enough gyroscopic wheel force to make that true.
From my experience I do think my 26er had an advantage in the super tight swithbacks in the trees. I think this may have been mainly due to the extra 1.5" the front of the 29er sticks out...sometimes you have to run the front wheel right up to a tree before turning hard to make the switchback. Don't get me wrong, this is a minor downside.

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
From my experience I do think my 26er had an advantage in the super tight swithbacks in the trees. I think this may have been mainly due to the extra 1.5" the front of the 29er sticks out...sometimes you have to run the front wheel right up to a tree before turning hard to make the switchback. Don't get me wrong, this is a minor downside.
I'm still on my 29er and won't be going back, but I think it has to do with having to lean a 29er more. I definitely found myself hitting trees with my shoulders more on the trials I ride until I adjusted to it.

·
The White Jeff W
5,692 Posts
I'm still on my 29er and won't be going back, but I think it has to do with having to lean a 29er more. I definable found myself hitting trees with my shoulders more on the trials I ride until I adjusted to it.
That made me :lol: I thought it was just me walking around with scabs on my shoulders from brushing trees as I go by

·
Registered
656 Posts
Devinci Atlas is another short chain stay with short wheel base 29er that handle really well in the tight twisty stuff. I have one build out beefy with a Pike 140 and love.

It lacks in azz end/rear travel though and think I will replace it here with a Enduro 29er some time towards the end of the year.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have to say since I made the switch to a 29er ( Intense Tracer 29 ) I have had some growing pains in some situations. Slow tight and twisty in the rocky technical stuff has given me some fits. It's probably more me than the wheel or bike... And also I noticed real quick, when on one of my normal trail rides, making last minute line choices when at a moderate to quick speed coming downhill can result in the bike putting you on your ass real quick. At least with me at the control, and this was not an issue I ever noticed before on my 26er Yeti 575. To be fair, the Intense has a steeper head angle by a degree or two than my Yeti which I'm still adjusting to. I may be trying an angleset if not just trying some other frames...

·
Registered
861 Posts
I love my enduro 29, but where I've always noticed that 29ers "slow you down" is switchbacks/tight turns at moderate speed. At slow speed it's no problem to get through tight stuff, and at high speed you just rail through faster than the smaller wheels can come up, but for a tight course correction at moderate speed you have to slow down and then speed up out of the turn, this is where you "lose" the most speed and the smaller wheeled bikes can pull ahead. Lots of people think it's the "super tight" stuff where the 29er will fare worse, but in my experience there's just not enough gyroscopic wheel force to make that true. Again, all said, I love my enduro 29, it's just so much fun on the downhills. Doesn't "feel" like a "traditional" 29er with crazy long chainstays.

I agree with you, this is the disadvantage of 29er from the smaller wheels. probably a 650b bike is a good compromise. also acceleration of 29er is too slow and you have to exert more effort to pedal.

which 29er bikes has shooter chain stay?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts