Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 29 wheelset and want a 27.5 wheelset to bounce back and forth with. Trying to learn mechanics of the bike and need some helpful knowledge.

Current setup is a GX eagle Paradox build with 29" DTSwiss 350/XM481.

Wanting to get a set of I9 Enduro 350 for a 27.5" build. Is it as easy as getting the new tires/wheelsets w/ same rotors and chain cassette, and just switching them out, or do I need new hubbs and other components? How do increased pedal strikes come in and what would I need to do to prevent them?

Any advice/knowledge with this would be greatly appreciated. Really want to understand the mechanics of how the builds go together and trying to figure this out.

· monster member
1,212 Posts
I don't have any useful answer. But I will take the opportunity to back up your thoughts... I think.

I was looking for a nice, light, Trail 27.5er in '19 and really couldn't find one. Most every 27.5er was a 29er with fat rims and tires put on it. So they weighed more than they should because the mfr had to make the frame, swingarm, etc. strong enough to handle the extra leverage of the larger 29er wheel, and they kept all that, and then stuck 27.5er wheels on. So I caved and got a 29er but I think a 27.5er would feel better on downhills with essentially no downside except on very rocky flat trails. Now with a couple years with my 29er, I wish I stuck to my guns and looked for a dedicated light 27.5er. (I found one that looked good to me from Intense, but no Intense dealer near Pittsburgh, and I wasn't about to spend $4500 on something that I couldn't test-ride or have a local dealer. I know that with Covid, ppl are making exceptions, but pre-covid I wasn't at all in the mentality to do that.)

Anyway, I feel your pain on the 27.5 quest. I'm thinking it's the perfect size... better than 29er but whatever.

· Thicc Member
2,254 Posts
As a guy who ran a 100/100 29er bike as a 100/130 27.5, I can tell you a few things you can do. I used offset shock bushings to raise the bottom bracket. This is frowned upon because they tend to rotate, but I didn't have any problems with that. Used a +30mm fork. Used a 2.6 tire on the front and sometimes on the rear. Went from 175 to 170mm cranks. It worked really well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.