Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might remember I bought a FS 26er having really only ridden a HT 29er on trails.

details here:
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=259602

The weights are not that different... around 26lbs vs. around 28.5lbs fully loaded.

It's a deep freeze here so both bikes are now set up with spiked tires. Schwalbes on the sixer and Nokian W240s on the niner.

Obviously the FS and slacker angles make a big difference, as do the tire differences, but here are my observations on the 29 vs. 26 thing, to the extent I can isolate that part.

The 29er rolls WAAAAAAAAAAY better. I feel like I'm towing a log around on the sixer. This may be affected by tire pressures etc, but I'm pretty sure most of it is the wheels. On a long ride this makes a big difference. I feel like I'm putting out about 15-20% less effort on the niner.

The 26er is definitely more flickable. It reminded me of the difference between my old 156cm snowboard and my current 164cm board. The 64 carves, the 56 spins.

There are a few ubertight trails sections (very tight up/downhill switchbacks) where the sixer performs substantially better than the niner. This is the most significant advantage the sixer has.

The sixer climbs better but I suspect this is the FS thing. I suspect a niner with the same suspension would be as good.

The niner rails better. No question at all. The sixer turns, the niner rails.

The sixer front wheel digs into soft stuff more than the niner. EG entering a mud bog or a sloppy snow field, turn the front wheel... the sixer slides out before the niner.

The sixer rear wheel spins under pedal mashing much easier than the niner.

Both bikes are comfortable over the rough stuff.

So, overall?

They are really different bikes. I would say the HT/FS distinction is a MUCH bigger deal than the wheel size. Geometry probably about equal in significance, maybe a bit more significant.

I like the way the sixer can be moved about underneath you more easily than the niner. I like how tight it turns. I do NOT like how hard it is to pedal. I do NOT like the way the front wheel vagues out on me in slop. I wish it railed like the Niner. I don't like having to be so aware of pedal mashing in loose conditions.

I find that I can run the niner at slightly lower tire pressures than the sixer for the equivalent tire, don't know why that would be.

Anyway I know this is a horribly overdetermined test but it's been interesting for me. I was all set on getting a RIP9 before I bought the Commencal but now I'm really not sure. I would definitely want to demo one first now to see how the 29/FS variables play out.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
thx for that.

My 29er versus 26er observations.......the most noticeable difference is that the wheel sizes, on the average, are different, with the 29er typically being larger than the 26er

Other than that, pluses and minuses that vary across rider, type of riding, etc....etc...

sorry for the overly-technical assessment

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I cannot agree in one point 29" are better climbers owing to longer contact patch, thus adhesion, of course accelaration is slighlty slower. The nibleness is a serious issue amogst 29ers, many manufacturers have done "sorcery" with geometry to minimize the sluggishness and languidity. Perhaps all 29ers wille be as agile as Spider 29 (it is as agile as 26,however nervous in dh sections)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
you cant disagree with somebody's own "opinion" of what they observe/feel.......generalizations are retarded given the MANY parameters involved in biking and subjective.

having said that, in some ways i think 29ers climb better but others no.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no 'of course' on acceleration. I can't tell any difference.

The 26er climbs better because it has rear suspension.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Great obs, I am thinking of taking the plunge ito 9er world so I found your comments helpful.

Fo, your analysis was waay too technical for me, I feel like I need a degree in physics to decipher . . . :)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Random Drivel said:
Great obs, I am thinking of taking the plunge ito 9er world so I found your comments helpful.

Fo, your analysis was waay too technical for me, I feel like I need a degree in physics to decipher . . . :)
dont feel bad......most people are simply not blessed with my infinite wisdom

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
FoShizzle said:
My 29er versus 26er observations.......the most noticeable difference is that the wheel sizes, on the average, are different, with the 29er typically being larger than the 26er
I disagree.

:devil:'s advocate

·
_
850 Posts
FoShizzle said:
thx for that.

Other than that, pluses and minuses that vary across rider, type of riding, etc....etc...

sorry for the overly-technical assessment
i agree with ya Fo, not just on this observation, but on many other differences that people claim to notice when it comes to bikes. (btw, this is guero from str)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
FoShizzle said:
you cant disagree with somebody's own "opinion" of what they observe/feel.......
Based on what I have observed, I feel you can disagree with somebody's own opinion of what they observe/feel. How do you feel about that? :skep:

generalizations are retarded given the MANY parameters involved in biking and subjective.
Generally, I agree. :p

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
FoShizzle said:
dont feel bad......most people are simply not blessed with my infinite wisdom
You mean "infinitessimal" wisdom.

In advance of your response to my instant response in which you will say that that is not what you mean, my response to this future response to my past response will be "yes it is." And in advance of your response to my response to your response to my response in which you will tell me that I can't tell you what you mean or feel, my response to your response to my response to your response will be "yes I can."

Is that clear?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
miles e said:
Based on what I have observed, I feel you can disagree with somebody's own opinion of what they observe/feel. How do you feel about that? :skep:
if there is anything in that text that implies disagreement with anything I may have said......you are wrong and I completely disagree.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.