Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've run a 2.6 WTB Ranger, but it doesn't leave much room at the chainstays. A jump to 2.8 may work with the right tire, but 2.6 to 2.8 is a much bigger jump than it sounds. I have a 3.0 Rocket Ron on a hardtail and it was a definite no-go.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've run a 2.6 WTB Ranger, but it doesn't leave much room at the chainstays. A jump to 2.8 may work with the right tire, but 2.6 to 2.8 is a much bigger jump than it sounds. I have a 3.0 Rocket Ron on a hardtail and it was a definite no-go.
Thanks for that info. I test fit a 2.6” DHF ( it probably measures closer to 2.5”) and I could defiantly go bigger I’m just not sure how much bigger.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update if anyone is interested in going plus on their 2020 RZ. I’ve got a 29x3.0 DHF upfront and now have a 2.8 Rekon out back. I have the Rekon mounted on a 29mm ID rim and I have about 4mm of space in the non drive side chain stay. That is the closest point and everywhere else has plenty of room. I mounted the Rekon up last night and the tire is at 35psi. Running the DHF at 15psi and plan to drop the Rekon down to 18-19psi and adjust from there. It measures 2.7” wide at the tread now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
3 rides on the 29 plus RF now and I really enjoying it.

How is it with the climb? I have the stock tires right now on my 2021 Rift Zone 2 and the bike feels super heavy while climbing. Looking to get a lighter tire that can really climb but still be okay while going down hill.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The drag on the stock tires is noticeable but that does translate to outstanding grip on technical climbs. These tires grip great but do not seem to drag like the stock tires. Having said that these are not light weight tires. I run them because I really enjoy the feel of 29+ tires on most of the trails I ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts