Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Repeating topic yes, but remember that the tire brands are reading this forum, too! They need trustable input on which tires we'd really like to see hit the market, and would actually buy.
I'm in contact with a big and capable tire manufacturer who's now researching it's 29" options and priorities.

My votes:
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.1" (500-520g), for pure racing
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.4" (650g), for rigid or rougher suspended trail riding/marathons
Schwalbe Fast Fred 29x2.35" (560g) for loose or even sandy courses and ultra-low rolling resistance. My favorite 26" tread!
Kenda Klimax 29x2.1" (Pure race tire, would be quite light)
Maxxis Flyweight 29x2.0 (370g).
Maxxis Minotaur 1.95 (420g) (wet race tire, and on dry grass)

And then I'd like some bulky 29x2.5's for deep snow (if I ever see it in my life), or indoor snow downhill races (which we have here). Also a chance to try out 30" DH, and how it works out.

As I see it, we now have plenty of allround tires, each with it's own specilism :
WTB Nanoraptor : allround, good in sand, rolls very well or best
WTB Motoraptor : allround, good on rocks
IRC Notos : allround, good in loose and wet? (few experience)
IRC Mythos : allround, good in loose dirt? (no experience with 29" version)
Bontrager AcX Jones : allround, superb front tire for dry conditions, wet pretty good, too
(non-available) Maxxis HighRoller : allround, superb over wet dirt, being quite narrow.
Kenda Klaw XT : Allround, slow roller, but great gripper in mud and deep snow.
Kenda Khan : Off-road capable touring tire, rolls very well.
Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" : Slick, rolls like mad, sufficient as a dry weather rear

Come on, let your wishes be heard, be original and make it interesting to the industry to further diversify tire offerings!
Try to make clear what YOU want, and what you'd honestly think would sell the most tires. We don't want tire manufacturers help us out, but offer something only a few of us would buy. Thanks in advance!

Happy trails,

J

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
well, Im personally a huge WTB fan for here in socal.

a 2.1 veloci rear would be excelent, but not too important (running the 26er offering on both other MTBs)

a 2.4 mutano front or a 2.5 moto front would be exactly what im looking for. havent tried the 2.5 Weirwolf yet, but one is in the works...for the 26er SS.

bigger is better for front tires!!! 2.1 really doesnt cut it for my desired traction liking, but the 2.1 motoraptor 29er has been much better than the 2.1 29er Kenda that I was running.

now, why does the moto 29er look like the mutano 29er? they are much different in 26er sizes, as far as tread pattern goes, but not so much for the 29s.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
a couple for the wish list.............

continental-explorer 2.1, make the vapor wider.......it's too narrow
wtb-mutano 2.4....please..
wtb-moto 2.4....but do the mutano first:)
wtb-velociraptor 2.1 rear......
hutchinson-python.......dream come true...
michelin-anything, just do something please!
maxxis-hurry up already.

what I really want is for someone to make a tubeless kit that doesn't require me to spend hours of tinkering and fiddling...............

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
shiggy©®™ said:
The 29" Mutanos and Motos are nothing alike. The Mutano 44 looks like a scaled down 26" Mutano 2.24. The 29" Moto is just like the old 26x2.1 Moto with fewer bigger blocks.
i think its the lack of big blocks on the 29er 2.1 moto vs the 26er 2.4 moto that has me confused. still, both good tires in my book.

I rode the 2.4 moto for the first time on out saturday BC ride and was sold- it performed as I would have liked, especially for a first ride. bombing that dusty downhill on that tire gave me nothing but confidence.

thanks, shiggy.

Edit: why (again) does my post come before shiggy's, when I "replied w/ quote" to him???

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
SlowSSer said:
now, why does the moto 29er look like the mutano 29er? they are much different in 26er sizes, as far as tread pattern goes, but not so much for the 29s.
The 29" Mutanos and Motos are nothing alike. The Mutano 44 looks like a scaled down 26" Mutano 2.24. The 29" Moto is just like the old 26x2.1 Moto with fewer bigger blocks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can't argue with any of these suggestions. But would have to say I would love to see the Michelin JetS in 29". Best roller out there.

e

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Hi all,

Repeating topic yes, but remember that the tire brands are reading this forum, too! They need trustable input on which tires we'd really like to see hit the market, and would actually buy.
I'm in contact with a big and capable tire manufacturer who's now researching it's 29" options and priorities.

J
My List:
  • Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25/2.4
  • Schwalbe Albert 2.25
  • Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.1
  • Kenda Blue Groove 2.10/2.35
  • Hutchinson Spider 2.1
  • Hutchinson Python Air Light 2.0
  • Nokian NBX 2.1/2.3
  • Conti Gravity (Vapor) 2.3

Also a light weight 700x42/50 Big Apple

·
Registered
515 Posts
my list

I'd go for almost any fatter offering from WTB. I'm running a 2.1 moto right now...bigger would be sweet. I love my 2.5 Weirwolf on my 26"er, having that in 29 would be bliss. A Panaracer Fire DH Pro for the front in a 29x 2.3 would be great IMO. How about Ritchey come out with a MotoVader 29x 2.4?

I'll just add my vote to all the other suggestions as well....I want more options.

·
WAWE
1,432 Posts
My 29" votes in order of meatyness...

- Hutchy - Python 2.0
- WTB - Mutano 2.4
- IRC - Trailbear 2.25
- Panny - Fire FR 2.4
- Nokiy - Gazzaloddi 3.0 - okay, 2.6 :D

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
First one that comes to mind is the 2.3 Conti Vertical Pro. For the conditions I ride in around here, that tire is the best front I've ever run. The Bonty Jones 2.2 29" is really pretty damned good, and almost wide enough, but I like a big fat meat up front. And I would rather have it with the relatively narrower, pointier knobs like the vertical.

For the back I'm really pretty satisfied with the WTB Moto 2.1, and I haven't even started with a fresh one yet (just got a 29er in October, and I'm still running the used tires that came on it, Jones front, moto rear).

I did like the Specialized Enduro Pro as a back tire on my 26" bike, but I think we'll be skiing in hell before Specialized starts supporting 29.

·
2,807 Posts
Python in a 2.2"

Hutchinson Python Air light in a 2.2"

I would ride the fuc% out of those all day long.

Still the best tire i've ever ridden in the dusties of Northern Colorado. Kinda sketchy in the mud though...

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
My 29er tire vote...

Cloxxki said:
My votes:
a bunch of weight weenie racing tires....
And then I'd like a bunch of bulky 29x2.5's
J
That is such an easy question....
1. WTB 2.5 Weirwolf, Moto, Mutano
2. Panaracer Fire 2.1 & 2.4
3. Maxxis High Roller 2.1 & 2.3 & 2.5

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Hi all,

My votes:

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.4" (650g), for rigid or rougher suspended trail riding/marathons
I'll join you on that one, Cloxxki. Love my Big Apple's, but a fat Ralph, Fred or other off road tread from Schwalbe (or another brand) in the fat meat version would be a nice set to have.

BB

·
highly visible
3,255 Posts
My list:

- Geax Blade 2.25
- A wider version of the front Kenda Klaw, maybe 2.35
- Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6
- Hutchinson Alligator (replaced by Spider?)
- Conti Vertical 2.3
- Tioga White Tiger 2.5

Or just the Blade. Really, if I could have that, all would be well.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mondo said:
Front Bontrager Jones
Rear Panaracer Smoke 45c
Those tires already exist for average 6 years. so are you satisfied for the next 6 years to come?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Maxxis wishlist

Maxxis Flyweight 29x2.0/2.1 (390g) for fast flatland races :D
Maxxis Larsen TT 29x2.0/2.1 (550g) for allround worldcup races :)
Maxxis Larsen Oriflamme 29x2.4 (650g) for the beachraces :cool:
Maxxis Medusa 29x1.8 (520g) for the mudraces :rolleyes:

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
OH! I love tires!

My votes go for:
~Tioga 2.3 DH or XC extreme_Like Fast Eddy, I LOVE these tires, I just don't let the lack of them limit my riding expereince.
~Ritchey Z-max 2.1-although a 2.4 Motovader would be pretty cool too.
~Conti Vertical 2.3-and a true 2.3 please!
~Hutchinson Python 2.2-pleasepleaseplease!
~WTB Moto 2.4

I'd be happy with any of these. All of them would knock me out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts