Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a Salsa Timberjack SLX. I'm 6'1 225# and have been riding 29s for some time. All of the local shops don't have any in stock except one, but they only have the 27.5 wheeled bike. Sould I check it out or hold out for a 29er. The bike shop is 2+hrs away, so I don't want to wait my time if I should hold off. Thank you

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Depends...What sort of terrain? Is it tight/techy or more open and flowy? That's a factor for me because being 6'4" requires XL frame so combined with new geo makes for a huge bike in tight tight New England singletrack. I chose the 27.5 over 29 for maneuverability.

Super happy with 27.5 but 29 would probably be better if I had more open 'flowy' terrain. I can't comment on difference in 'rollover' between my 27.5 X 2.5 width compared to 29 X 2.3 width because I've never had a 29er.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
At your size you should be looking at 29+ for trails. If you must have a regular 29er, I don't think you'd regret that decision, but you'd probably enjoy a plus tire, whether 27.5 or 29, more than a conventional 29x2.3, and it's also very likely that you would be faster, especially on a hardtail.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm taller than you 6'3"~ and about 270lbs I have been riding a XL Giant Trance adv 2 27.5 it is nimble and I like that.

either wheel size is fine for your height and size.. it is a matter of personal pref really. I'm not sure I'd drive 2hrs to test it ..but if you get a chance try out the 27.5 and see how you like it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for responding stationed, that's good information. I see that shop has Salsa coming soon with their demo truck. I might head there and be sure to look at both sizes. Thanks again

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm 6'4" and one of my bikes is exactly the Salsa SLX, 27.5+ (there's no TJ 27.5 "thin"), size XL. Honestly, it feels almost too big for me. If you are 6'1", I'd definitely go with the L size. The seatpost is a mere 10mm above the maximum insertion in my case. A shorter rider would have problems.

My other bike is a RM Instinct, which is 29. I cannot feel a lot of difference in wheel size between the two, although they handle very differently. There's no corner that I cannot do and say "Ah, if I had the other size"... Same as any obstacle. Plus size will have better grip and be a bit slower, and regular size will feel faster, with less grip.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,203 Posts
I'm 6'1" and ride both 29 and 27.5. A lot depends on the geometry of the bike- I've ridden snappy and sluggish variants of both types.

The main thing I try to pay close attention to is low bottom bracket height as I like to ride technical trail features (and more prone to pedal strikes than some).

Choose a tire/frame combo that works best for your riding style.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.