Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Specialized claims, or did previously, that there is room for plus size tires up to 3.0 on the new 2019 Stumpjumper. I have been told by my LBS that the larger tires do not fit, and i am wondering what is the fattest/biggest tire anyone has fit on one of these bikes.
Thx in advance for your insights and knowledge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. I wanted to buy one but it wouldn't take 3" tires so no deal.
Thx NYrr496, Though I've been riding for years, I've never jumped too far into the gear and tech end of the sport... I had no idea that the real tire measurements did not conform to the claimed dimension / size. So, same here... I wanted a 29+ on a '19 SJ, but no deal with me either. My high hopes for the perfect plus size all mountain machine - crushed. This particular inquiry is for my wife's bike (the '19 SJ) which I want to push into the plus range, but cannot afford to buy dozens of tires just to find the mystery 3.0 tire that specialized used for their + size claim. If they want to send me an all mountain 2.8 or 3.0 that actually fits and performs as well as any other high end tires I'll likely be buying another one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will not fit a Bontrager XR2/Chupa 3 inch.
A Terrene CakeEater 2.8 was tight....
Hey Mayor, I appreciate the insight. The Cake Eater was on my list of considerations, I've also heard the Maxxis DHF and DHR run somewhat small and could be an option. Are you currently running the CE's and if so how are they for summer trail conditions?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Hey Mayor, I appreciate the insight. The Cake Eater was on my list of considerations, I've also heard the Maxxis DHF and DHR run somewhat small and could be an option. Are you currently running the CE's and if so how are they for summer trail conditions?
The Maxxis 3" won't fit. It's a heavy and slow tire to boot.
I have used the CE's a few times....they did work pretty good when it was muddy.
I usually end up on the Xr2s....work great for where I ride. Roll fast, light and great volume.
After finding the Stumpy didn't really fit + tires...I didn't buy it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Spesh says 3.0 on the 27.5 and 2.6 max on the 29er, don't they? I thought that's what I read somewhere when I bought mine.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Spesh says 3.0 on the 27.5 and 2.6 max on the 29er, don't they? I thought that's what I read somewhere when I bought mine.
When the bike was released....they said it fit 3 inch tires....and it was a 29er....so.
People quickly found that 3" didn't fit.
I don't know what Spec says about it now...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The 29x2.8 McFly I mounted measured just under 2.6” wide, the same as my 29x2.6 Rekon.

Have you measured the width of yours?
Yep, the McFly is skinny as it measures 2.7" wide. I'm mounting up a new 3" DHR II for another bike this weekend so I'll test fit it on the SJ and see how it fits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input! I am starting to think that a Terrene 29x2.8 McFly - Cake Eater or a Maxxis 2.6 Rekon - 3.0 DHF combo could work. Or a mashup of any of them. i just measured the stock "29x2.6" Specialized Butcher and it reads 2.35", no wonder this is a challenge... Just looking for a good Plus setup for New England all mountain trails.

·
turtles make me hot
11,465 Posts
Cool bike but like I once said in a thread about the RSD Big Chief, this is not a plus bike. Spesh shouldn't have created this confusion.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I am starting to think that a Terrene 29x2.8 McFly - Cake Eater or a Maxxis 2.6 Rekon - 3.0 DHF combo could work. Or a mashup of any of them. i just measured the stock "29x2.6" Specialized Butcher and it reads 2.35", no wonder this is a challenge... Just looking for a good Plus setup for New England all mountain trails.
Caveat: The Cake Eater I tried was new on a 35i rim and it was a pretty tight fit ( sorry, I didn't measure it)
After some miles....it is a little bigger and measures 2.9.
Not sure if it would still fit in the back.
FYI....I'm north west of Boston

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mayor, Interesting update on the Cake Eater dimensions. I've been informed by those in the know that the Cake Eater and the McFly are built on the same casing, so aside from some additional knob height on the CE i would think both should fit. It's only 1.5 mm taller. Noosa2, image below, seems to have made this work. I can definitely see how a true 2.9 is just not gonna fit. My rims are the stock carbon Roval's with a 30mm id, so that could help. I'm in the north central area, how do you like the CE on the New England trails?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Noosa2, Just curious how the McFly's are working out for you and do you think that you could fit a Cake Eater which has an additional 1.5 mm of knob height? what is your rim id?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hey Noosa2, Just curious how the McFly's are working out for you and do you think that you could fit a Cake Eater which has an additional 1.5 mm of knob height? what is your rim id?
I'm a bit disappointed in the longevity of my McFly but doing a bit of research it seems like most folks get good life out of them. It has about 8mm to the tightest spot (seatstay brace).
I test fit a new 3.0 DHR II and just like the DHF I tried originally it did spin but rubbed on the seatstay brace. It is close to the seat stays and chainstays but Enough room to run it...too bad about the seatstay brace.
IMG_1486.jpg
IMG_1485.jpg

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Oh, my rim width is 35mm ID. If the cake eaters are only bigger than the McFly's By an extra 1.5 mm of knob height then they would easily fit on my frame.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts