Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can it be true? Are there 29 inch wheels out there for my lefty, Scalpel 900?!!

Could I possible have the best of both worlds - Cannondale Scalpel 900, with 29" wheels?!!! Oh, be still, my beating heart. If only, it were more than just a dream.

Is it possible to up grade a Scalpel 900, to 29 inch wheels? It seems like the disc brakes are no problem. Concerns would be the "lefty" and wheel clearance on both front and back.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Build One

There are 'lefty' hubs on eBay all the time, you could build one. I think that there's room on the fork for it, there might even be some info about converting a lefty to a non-cannondale frame and possibly to a 29er as well. Do a search for lefty and see what comes up.

I'm not familiar with your bike enough to say whether a 29" wheel would fit in back, I'd venture to say not really, at least with a real 29" tire on it. Maybe a cross tire would fit...

Plum

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
the lefty won't be an issue.

however, the scalpel thing won't work with good clearance.

there are plenty of other frame options. Want high end pivotless travel? Ibis silk ti 29er, 1.75" rear travel.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
voodoojb said:
Would you mind sharing the details of how you mounted that fork? Sorry if you have done this before... feel free to email me directly at: [email protected]
voodoo,

That's not my bike, I just posted the photo from the thread on this forum which discussed the guy who did that. Do a search and you will find the entire thread from sometime last year (if not before). Here, I'll do it for you:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=33893&highlight=lefty+monkey

BB

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
As you can see, the fork will take a 29" wheel with some modification (travel reduction), and a 29" bike will take the converted fork+wheel, after modification.

However, to keep geometry intact on the Scalpel, 26" rear, 29" front, prepare to give up 2.5" of travel.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Missed marketing opportunity - you'd think that someone along the way might've developed and marketed an adapter kit for Lefty front shocks of use in regular headtubes.
I'd think Cannondale would have a slight problem with that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My Lefty conversion details

Hey guys, I'm glad my lefty conversion is still interesting. Here is another post with the complete details: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=33015

I would suggest this on any 29" frame, but not with a 26" frame because of the geometry changes. My advice is jump in and get yourself a real 29er. Unfourtunately, Cannondale won't make us any... that's why I stopped racing for them.

On another note, anyone got an Exiwolf they would part with?

Brooke

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
That's right- C'dale won't do it

The rep to our shop told me that C'dale feels that the Lefty was/ is designed to work in concert with their frames only. No aftermarket 26 or 29 usage is planned, or recommended. This is what our rep told me the tech heads told him.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Factory Lefty 1 1/8" crowns

There were a few prototype 1 1/8" Lefty crowns made, if the story I was told is true. At a shop in the Northeast, convenient to a particular Garden State hotspot for trials -and trials riders who may or may not be related to Elaine Tierney- had one set sent down for a factory, or perhaps not factory rider. Who knows?

They should produce a standard version. A bunch of people like the fork but hate the frames.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
You're right, a lot of people love the fork. They love the fork so much that they buy the whole bike...

In a business sense I think that added fork sales while most likely decreasing frame and bike sales is a bad decision. Cannondale most likely think they same, why else would they be making them in 1.5"?!

What about the U.S.E. "Lefty", now that thing is COOL!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.