Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone make a recommendation as to a fast, low resistance tire for my 29er?

I'm getting ready to ride the C&O canal trail in Maryland. It's 180 miles long, flat and mostly hard pack with some gravel. My bike is a 29" Gary Fisher Paragon. I'm running it notubes with Stan's.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
660 Posts
srwings said:

I'm getting ready to ride the C&O canal trail in Maryland. It's 180 miles long, flat and mostly hard pack with some gravel. My bike is a 29" Gary Fisher Paragon. I'm running it notubes with Stan's.

Thanks much.
A full on 29er tire is a bit overkill for the C&O. Take a look at cyclocross tires instead, should be all you need. Be a good idea to ask this over at www.more-mtb.org too. Lot more local riders on there who have actually done the C&O, some did the 180 in one day. I'm aiming to conquer the entire C&O sometime this spring.
Cheers!
-jon

·
Registered
466 Posts
srwings said:

Thanks much.
Just in case it wasn't obvious, 29" wheels are identical to 700C wheels in diameter. So any road tire will fit diameter wise. If your rims are at all wide you would have problems blowing off something super-narrow like a 23 mm tire, but 28 mm wide and wider can and will work with nearly all 29" rims.

Depending on how smooth this trail is you might be best served with a touring tire. I personally would use something like a Continental Contact touring tire in 32 mm. They are as close to flat proof as is possible in a bike tire, lighter than any full on 29" tire, lower rolling resistance than any full on 29" tire, and have a tread pattern that is appropriate for hard pack dirt.

Nanoraptors are indeed a fast rolling 29" MTB tire, but in my experience are on the order of 2 MPH slower than the above mentioned touring tire.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Yes, I would like to avoid a full-on MTB tire given the description of the C&O. I'm really stuck on running notubes so hopefully I can find something in a 700c that won't blow off my Bontrager Race Disc 29's.

·
Registered
19,133 Posts
srwings said:
Thanks all. Yes, I would like to avoid a full-on MTB tire given the description of the C&O. I'm really stuck on running notubes so hopefully I can find something in a 700c that won't blow off my Bontrager Race Disc 29's.
Ix-nay on the anos-Nay then. As far as I know you can't run them them with Stan's. Someone update me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
check out the Michelin transworld city 700/ 47 (touring and tandem ) tire its a great big all road/gravel tire
been rave on rail trails and county commuting

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
srwings said:

Thanks much.
Stan's really necessary? There isn't much thorns and stuff to give you pinch flats. I'd suggest a fatter cyclocross tire, with a smoother center instead of a fatter 29er tire.

As an aside, here's our one-day adventure a couple of years ago. I rode my Karate Monkey and didn't finish because I suck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Drevil said:
Stan's really necessary? There isn't much thorns and stuff to give you pinch flats. I'd suggest a fatter cyclocross tire, with a smoother center instead of a fatter 29er tire.

As an aside, here's our one-day adventure a couple of years ago. I rode my Karate Monkey and didn't finish because I suck.
Drevil is right. He does suck. :thumbsup:
-jon

·
It's always greener
290 Posts
There's always the ol' Schwalbe Big Apple. I think itit's available in 2.1 or 2.3...and boy do those roll. They even have some off road traction. quite surprising, and comfortable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Last year I used Schwalbe Big Apples and thought they were the ultimate rail-trail tire. The past 4 months I've been using Kenda Kwick Roller EZ Rides in 700x45 and these tires are even faster. Stay away from the Iron Cap option and they come in at 500 grams each.:thumbsup: Very smooth center section with a little grip on the sides (something the BA's lacked).

Attachments

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Others have already covered the "race tire" options (Crow, Nano, Karma) and the slicks (Transworld City, Top Touring, Big Apple), so I'll stick to the true semislick choices since they aren't as generally well known:

My first pick would be the IRC Mythos XC Slick 700x42, if for no other reason than they're stock on Fisher Dual Sports, so barely used ones are easy to come by. Your dealer might even have some extra take-offs lying around. Rolls well, not too heavy, decent volume for a 42, decent offroad, not too expensive. A few other options:

Maxxis WormDrive 700x42. Fast and light (440-450g), though visibly smaller than the Mythos. If speed is your goal and you aren't too tough on tires, might be the right choice.

Kenda K847 Kross Plus 700x38. Heavier than the WormDrive, but otherwise very similar in terms of tread and casing size. Somewhat better offroad performance than the Worm, and substantially more durable. Cheap! $15 MSRP -- I got mine for $6.50 at Nashbar a while back. Speedgoat has them.

Michelin TransWorld Sprint 700x40. Despite the marked size, bigger than the WormDrive. Totally puncture proof, with a center diamond tread and decent edge knobs that work fairly well together offroad. And generally under $20, available at any LBS with a QBP account. Does roll slower than the others due to its puncture belt though, and it's fairly heavy at 650g.

Schwalbe Black Jack 1.9. This would be my first choice for a dirt road camping trip where substantial rocks or gravel are expected, though it may be overkill for your trail. Rolls fast due to its raised center section, but grips almost as well as a full knobby. Under $20, direct from Schwalbe North America.

Specialized Borough 1.9 is the biggest semislick available, now that the Kenda Khan is out of production. Haven't ridden it but should work well. $40 (ouch), direct from Specialized.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Schwalbe Hurricane

The pic posted above of the Big Apple is not a picture of the Big Apple although it's an excellent choice if your looking for side lugs for the gravel sections check out the Schwalbe Hurricane it's available in 700 x 40 and has a kevlar puncture protection.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
667 Posts
gitzit said:
Last year I used Schwalbe Big Apples and thought they were the ultimate rail-trail tire. The past 4 months I've been using Kenda Kwick Roller EZ Rides in 700x45 and these tires are even faster. Stay away from the Iron Cap option and they come in at 500 grams each.:thumbsup: Very smooth center section with a little grip on the sides (something the BA's lacked).
I have these tires, and they are very fast.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, that's true. I don't really need Stans. I appreciate all the tire suggestions. Heck, I'm wondering now if I should just do this on my road bike. Shooting for Apr 6-8.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.