Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a happy day. All my stuff is on the way. Today would be tires! Hey hey!

So the Exiwolfs were coming off the Caffiene29er.... or the Tincan as it is affectionately known around here. The front tube had been twisted on install... thanks Cannondale/LBS. I'm sure no one will own up to it. :p The front tire would not roll in any kind of decent balance. The rear wouldn't roll right either. It didn't look like the beads were set all that well on the WTB Dual Duty rims. It didn't matter... they were coming off.

I popped off the heavy Exiwolf, and slipped on the not-so-heavy NanoRaptor. I have access to a giant tire room... it is for giant tires, and it is a giant room. Anyway, I was going to lube up the little Nano for proper bead seat-age, and then I planned on hitting it with some good air to seat the bead well. I grabbed my digital gauge, and my high zoot inflation chuck, and headed back to the tire room with the wheel.

I was so happy. Lose the weight in the tires, and replace it with a rear rack that should arrive at my door any minute now. Good trade for this bike's purpose: Multi-day, self-supported, mountain bike touring.

I grabbed the giant swab and went to town with the gelled-glide tire mounting lubricant. Ohhhh... the stuff is nice. I add a little water, and it just soaps itself up so nicely. Yep... it soaps itself... turns white, and bubbles all on it's own. I slathered the lube on without getting too much inside the inflation cavity itself. After all, I am a pro right? I have mounted millions of mountain bike tires. Ohhh yeah... feeling pretty Superfriend.

I grabbed the air hose, and gave the adaptor on the presta valve a quick shot of air. Ohhh yeah. Shop air. Nothing like 180lbs straight out of the line. That is 50lbs more pressure than most rinky-dink, little man shops. Ohhh yeah... I am owning it.

I squeezed the tire. "It can take a lot more", I thought to myself. "Let's get this baby seated in there...", I thought. Shop air. So good. Many wannabees overdue it in this situation with all that power in their hose. It would seem like the natural thing to do. But not for me. I am great. I know what air can do. I am in control. I choose. I make the decision. I have learned my shop air lessons in my youth. I am all over this with the tools I need to get the job done in style. I am solid man.

Pssssst... a little blast of air from the hose... Pssst...psssssssssst...

SKA-PINK!

Ahh... that is what I was looking for. That nice sound of the bead snapping into place. It wasn't even all that loud. I won....

A bit more air....pssst....psst...

SKA-PINK!

Ohhh... there was another one. Nice. That probably took care of it.

OK then... time for the hydraulic dunk tank. Gotta clean the soap off. So nice to have the giant dunk tank. I thought about the giant tires that have to be compressed hydraulically to get them underwater for checking. I was glad I wouldn't need that for my small tire needs.

So pleased. I am so powerful and smart and savvy. I rolled the tire in the water thinking of all the singletrack creeks that I cross during my riding. Is the water this deep... or is it this deep... Soapy bubbles... soapy bubblin goodness... spinning... spin... hmmm....I wond.....

KA-BLAMMERWAMMEROZZZER!!!!

Exploded in my face.

Water flew 20 feet in the air and everywhere. The tube was out of the tank, and on the floor... shredded. How did it get there? We think 10 inches of it disintegrated or melted or something. It smelled like fireworks or gunpowder. The wheel was underwater. Way to go 29Colossus. You are the man. :skep:

Of course, in the giant building it sounded like a bomb, and I guess in a lot of ways it really was. I was lucky to not get hurt. The only thing dry in the area was me! People drifted in one after the other as they do with loud and unusual noises in a place that is pretty dangerous as it is anyway.... just to make sure whoever the idiot was that created the sound was either dead, or alive.

When the water vapor settled, I grabbed another tube..... and some leather gloves.... and some ear muffs with a face shield.... I was not feeling all that robust, but I was feeling safe. Blow up now! I dare ya!

Ohhh yeah... I also USED the digital air gauge the second time around.

What did I learn? The shop air pumps 20lbs of pressure in less than a second. I figure I had about 150 in the tire before it exploded.

:nono:

I am the greatest.

:rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear tire just blew up sitting here in the stand. Probably had 45lbs in it. Brand new tire. Ruined. Sounded like a shotgun. I rode the bike 3 miles earlier. I just installed my new rack... setting up the brake... spinning the wheel with no drag. All done... Looking good... ready to go....

SLAMMERPOPPERCRACKPAZ!!!!

:madman:

Guess it didn't appreciate the idiotic volumetric efficiency test from earlier.

I'm a freakin rocket scientist.

:eek:ut:

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rockin said:
had you bought your tires from Icycles.

Live and learn I guess:thumbsup:
Have you seen their selection of 29er tires? :confused:

It is none to less than none.

Lost sale!

Two explosions in one day is tiring.

Good to go for tomorrow though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I had a Fast Track pop off my Bonty rim last winter. Filled it up to near ~50psi and put it on the trash can, like Stans says to. A few mins later, kabloom and the white stuff went all over the place. Ears took a pretty bad hit too and had a little ringing going on for a short while.

Glad you came out ok and didn't get hurt!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'm stupid, I can't make sense of this without pics.
Tanks? 20feet high of which water? The stuff that lucrated the beads?

I had a fully latex'd Michelin cross tire blow up on me at the gas station. No tube involved to get lost. A gun would have been more silent for sure. Almost wrecked my hand (I held tire and tube at 60psi). Road wheel was an instant taco.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
wow... that story brings back memories from my shop days.

i think at most shops around here, if a bead lets go but the tube didn't immediately blow, it's cause for a "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" warning to all around.

as scary as that situation can be, we were usually laughing like loons shortly after the fact just about every time.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
Yup, been there, done that. Excellent story telling though, youdaman:thumbsup: It happens here to, from time to time, and when it does, the sad thing is, my dog won't come out from under the desk for the rest of the day, scares the crap out of him. Wish he understood English!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.