Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cannondale Snob
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a ground-up (er... frame-up?) XC build. I'd like to go 1x9 for simplicity, weight savings, and because I don't really use the other two gears and hate my front derailleur :madman:

I thought this might be a good candidate for a 29er bike, except I have one concern here: weight. The current frame at the top of my list is the IBEX Trophy Pro, which weighs in at a mere 3.2lbs for '07. I can't find any weights listed for 29er frames. Accordingly, the rims and tires would be heavier as well, and it might just not be worth the weight. I'm only 5'10"/160lbs so I fit on the 26ers just fine. Currently riding an 18" frame though 20-21 should be a better fit....

G

·
ahhhh.. someone that shares my passion for FDs!!

i personally don't go for super light weight stuff, but i might be able to help a bit.

i don't know if Orbea ever made their 29er in carbon, that would be a pretty light frame.

for the price i don't know if you can beat a Niner. something like the AIR9 would be pretty light and perfect for this sort of build. 3.1lbs for the frame.

Salsa was working on a carbon seat stay bike, the Mamasita that would probably be pretty trick for a build like this. I think it was a 29er, don't know if/when it will be available.

Ellsworth was advertising a HT 29er frame recently too, that could be a pretty light ride.

there are also always custom options with so many sweet Ti builders as of late.

as for bike weight, you can probably build up a HT 1x9 similar to my wife's bike to right about 22lbs with a little attention to detail. my wife's bike was originally 22.5 (Dos Niner soft tail, 4lbs frame) but with bigger tires is now up to a beefy 23lbs.

i would be glad to answer any questions you have about 29ers and 1x9. i have tried a lot of different stuff.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Frame weight is 10-20% of a bike. Saving as much as 20% by picking one frame over the other is 1-4% off your complete bike...
I have a 1750g XL frame that has seen days as a 1x9 @~8.2kg. Budget build too.

A 19" Fisher frame should be between 1600-1700g. Try calling that heavy for <$300 off the classifieds.
For racing I rather have a 2kg frame that is super well build and utimately stiff where I need it and soft where I like it, rather than a 1.2kg frame that zigzags under my power when I try to go straight. My fastest 29" frame is the 2.85kg Redline Monocog, really!

·
Cannondale Snob
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holy crap! $750 just for the frame on the Air9! Only $299 for the IBEX Trophy Pro frame... Is everything about 29er bikes 2.5x more expensive than 26ers?

·
Registered
234 Posts
On One Scandal. Scandium, reportedly rides as smooth and compliant as steel, weight is around 3.5 lbs.
That's my candidate for a lightweight 1X9 build.

dz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.