Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,118 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to do it, but then I have a general leaning toward over-forking bikes.

Check axle-to-crown lengths of both; if they're not too far off (up to like 10 -12mm), you'll probably barely even notice a difference.
Beyond that, sometimes handling is improved and sometimes it deteriorates, depending on the bike.
=sParty

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The short answer is, it depends. We need to know a lot more than just you provided.
Yeah, I sure you're right, had a moment of laziness.

I'm riding a slackish hardtail, 67deg HT with a Fox 130mm fork. Bike came set up with 27.5'' wheels, although it often ride it as a gravel bike with 29'' wheels and 40mm tires. Fox can't service the air chamber seals anymore, but I was hoping to get a couple more years out of this rig.

Sooo, ride it as is without servicing the fork? Replace it with current equivalent (Fox offered me a deal)? Or buy a 29'' fork with an eye to placing it on the future bike that will replace this one?

That last option is what I opened the thread for, what kind of trade-offs for my current frame? TIA.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah, I sure you're right, had a moment of laziness.

I'm riding a slackish hardtail, 67deg HT with a Fox 130mm fork. Bike came set up with 27.5'' wheels, although it often ride it as a gravel bike with 29'' wheels and 40mm tires. Fox can't service the air chamber seals anymore, but I was hoping to get a couple more years out of this rig.

Sooo, ride it as is without servicing the fork? Replace it with current equivalent (Fox offered me a deal)? Or buy a 29'' fork with an eye to placing it on the future bike that will replace this one?

That last option is what I opened the thread for, what kind of trade-offs for my current frame? TIA.
I'll admit, that's not an easy situation for me to answer for you. I guess it boils down to two options.

Option 1 would be, let's call it "trying to keep the current bike the way it is despite the issues" and

Option 2 would be, let's call it "investing in a new fork that I will eventually put on a new bike".

If you go with Option 1, then you can save money to buy the bike you want. If it's a complete bike, then it'll come with a fork obviously. If that fork is not what you want to use, then Option 2 might be better.

If you go with Option 2, you'd be investing in a part for your future bike but intend to use it now for the current bike. But later on, when you purchase a complete bike, you're left with selling one of the forks I'm thinking.

I would offer up Option 3, find a used fork for your current bike on Pinkbike or from a trusted seller that you can find service parts (like seals, etc.) for and use it on the current bike.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to do it, but then I have a general leaning toward over-forking bikes.

Check axle-to-crown lengths of both; if they're not too far off (up to like 10 -12mm), you'll probably barely even notice a difference.
Beyond that, sometimes handling is improved and sometimes it deteriorates, depending on the bike.
=sParty
From my experience a 27.5 160mm fork is the same as 29er 140mm. Extrapolate the numbers but assume the equivalent travel in a 29er fork is 20mm taller.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all you responses, in the end, I decided to stick with the old fork and think about a whole new bike sooner rather than later, so there won't be a ride report on any mixing and matching of parts, happy trials.

·
Registered
117 Posts
20 mm longer is not 20mm taller unless the head angle is 90 degrees.

Reactions: dernst
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.