Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these around? Who make frames/wheels/tires for 29r fattys?

Can someone direct me to a thread?

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
noone makes a tire with a bsd of 622 in a width grater than @2.5" right now. the endomorph 26 x 3.7 measures out to right around 29" outside diameter though, and all the fat tire bikes out there take 29" wheels with grace.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
There's a nice Waltworks on the boards somewhere that was built to fit a Racing Ralph on a Speedway Uma 50mm 29er rim. It's hard to search Waltworks threads due to Walt's own sig, I tried. Try his blog.

I've been wondering lately if a Pug would take such a setup. Any opinions?

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
CLONG said:
There's a nice Waltworks on the boards somewhere that was built to fit a Racing Ralph on a Speedway Uma 50mm 29er rim. It's hard to search Waltworks threads due to Walt's own sig, I tried. Try his blog.

I've been wondering lately if a Pug would take such a setup. Any opinions?

yes, as would many production 29" frames.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,117 Posts
Wouldn't quite call it a FATTY

jsord said:
Are these around? Who make frames/wheels/tires for 29r fattys?

Can someone direct me to a thread?
I have the Waltworks that CLONG mentioned (and thanks for the compliment!), and yes it was built for max tire clearance, but there's no way I could call it a FatBike, not with the current assortment of frames out there that accomodate Endomorphs.

I had the WW frame built up just as the FatBikes were emerging, and wasn't quite sure I wanted to venture that far, but have now found there's no comparison. FatBikes rule for the more extreme conditions. My WW is more fun once the snow gets packed a bit, as it has decent flotation, but as the conditions become more marginal it falters just by nature of its smaller volume tires.

IF 29er tires in larger sizes become available, I still have some room between the stays to accomodate, but it'll never match the current tire widths a dedicated fatty frame can.

CLONG, here's a few pics, raw frame, BB area showing what Walt did to give max tire clearance, some clearance shots, and the latest version of the built up bike. A WW fork will be next.

Frame arrived Aug/2005.

A chainstay yoke idea I've seen elsewhere, notably Kona. Walt asked if I was going to run a 3-ring setup, and since I said no, only 2-rings, this works.

Uma 50mm rims with large tires, and still a bit of room to grow.

And the smile creator! This is the only frame I've ever had custom built, and Walt nailed the dimensions for me. It's a ton of fun on our local trails once they get a bit packed, until that happens, the FatBike sees the action.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i like that frame alot :) got to get a set of those una 50mm rims for my KM,with 2.4 tyres that would be a nice bit of float,when i built the bike 37mm halo freedom rims were widest available over here in the uk,thanks for posting pics;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
if you dont mind a few more questions about that frame... what are the widths of the bb shell, bb spindle and q? thats a sweet bike!
the one thing i really miss from my 26" bike are the fat tires and im wondering what kind of compromises one has to make to get such a cushy setup.

thanks!

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,117 Posts
peanutbutter said:
if you dont mind a few more questions about that frame... what are the widths of the bb shell, bb spindle and q?........what kind of compromises one has to make to get such a cushy setup.
pntbtr, the frame is actually pretty standard stuff. The BB is 68mm wide, and I'm running a square taper UN72 with RaceFace Turbines. I think the spindle is a 110mm, but that would depend on the particular cranks you run. The only real compromise to make is possibly not having the ability to run a large outer chainring. Since it's set up for trail riding on snow, and you don't often get the high speeds, I don't miss it. If I did need a little more top end, I could get a DH 36 or 38T outer and stil have clearance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts