Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cameron Chambers won the 24 Hours of Nine Mile over the weekend on his Gary Fisher 29"er. He had a hardtail, and a Sugar 293 with WB fork. The SRAM/ Rock Shox crew was there, and halfway through the race, they swapped out the WB fork for a REBA. I guess Cameron was pimpin' the Reba pretty hard afterwards. I beleive that he set a course record for the Solo Male category with 22 laps completed over a 12 mile circuit. The previous best was 18 by Tinker Juarez, if I'm not mistaken. Congrats to Cameron!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh Yeah! I almost forgot!

Keith Bontrager was also at the 24hrs of 9 Mile on a Fisher 29"er ss. Not the Rig, unless it was one painted in team colors, because Keith's was. Maybe it was a proto Bontrager frame disguised as a Fisher? ( HOPE! :D )

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Keith Bontrager was also at the 24hrs of 9 Mile on a Fisher 29"er ss. Not the Rig, unless it was one painted in team colors, because Keith's was. Maybe it was a proto Bontrager frame disguised as a Fisher? ( HOPE! :D )
I have to dig up the Bike magazine that had some comments in it from Keith, as I remember it he was against the concept.......

·
Registered
224 Posts
Pretty good for a Kansas Boy

Cameron is the man on a 29er. I watched him race 2 years ago on a single speed 29er in Kansas and blow away everyone else on geared bikes. Then I went to Colorado and spoke with some guys out there he had rode with and they were blown away by his speed on their geared bikes as well. Pretty good for a boy from the "flatlands of Kansas."

·
Awesome! Totally awesome!
117 Posts
He did like 260 miles in 24 hours. Saw him talking to some friends at the awards ceremony, he looked like he just came off of a fun ride. Tough dude.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
Cameron used to do a lot of the races in the Kansas City area on a Vicious SS before he got picked up by Fisher. Raced in cutoff overalls and no shirt, and beat the crap out of everybody (raced and won Expert on a singlespeed, on HILLY Missouri courses). Never had any kind of attitude. Coolest dude to stand around and talk with.

I think he was just about the first person in the area with a 29"er, and now we're all jumping on his bandwagon after seeing how fast he is on it (although something tells me ol' Cam' is just about as fast on a 26).

Anyway, just wanted to say 'congrats' to Cameron, and let everyone know he's a nice guy as well as being a badass.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
More 29er's and a Fuel....

Guitar Ted said:
Cameron Chambers won the 24 Hours of Nine Mile over the weekend on his Gary Fisher 29"er. He had a hardtail, and a Sugar 293 with WB fork. The SRAM/ Rock Shox crew was there, and halfway through the race, they swapped out the WB fork for a REBA. I guess Cameron was pimpin' the Reba pretty hard afterwards. I beleive that he set a course record for the Solo Male category with 22 laps completed over a 12 mile circuit. The previous best was 18 by Tinker Juarez, if I'm not mistaken. Congrats to Cameron!
The winning team in the 4-man pro (KC Woodchucks) are also from the flatlands. 3 of the 4 riders on that team are on 29er's. This is the same team that won Bronze in the 24 hour National Championships earlier this year.

Must be something in the water in these parts...

Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
Other 29ers at 9 mile won Pro/Expert division

Guitar Ted said:
The KC Wudchuks ventured up to 9 mile as well. We hooked up with Cameron on the preride, and we were all smiling ear to ear about 10 minutes into the course. We knew it was going to be a 29er dream. Talking about a course that begged to be ridden on a 29er. The doubletrack was fast and the rock-infested singletrack only required a point and shoot technique. This was my 1st year to race 29er at 9 mile and to me a 29er is the only way to go.

Cameron was stoked about the Reba that he'd just scored it down at the 05 Trek presentation and excited to try it. After the race he had glowing praise for the fork.

On the Wudchuk team, 3 of the 4 of us were riding our Gaikowski ti29ers and managed to bring home the win in the Pro/Expert 24hr division.

Only problems we had involved tires...would someone please make a fast rolling tubeless
tire!?!?!?!

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Pinky Pilot said:
The KC Wudchuks ventured up to 9 mile as well. We hooked up with Cameron on the preride, and we were all smiling ear to ear about 10 minutes into the course.

Cameron was stoked about the Reba that he'd just scored it down at the 05 Trek presentation and excited to try it. After the race he had glowing praise for the fork.

On the Wudchuk team, 3 of the 4 of us were riding our Gaikowski ti29ers and managed to bring home the win in the Pro/Expert 24hr division.
Pinky, we've been hearin' little tid-bits (only if one really pays attention) about Gaikowski Ti 29ers since I photo'd and posted them up after the 04 OC this year. Can you or one of the crew post up some new/better-detail photo's, reviews, opinions, contact info, web sites, order and pricing info, typical or custom geometry options, availability/etc??

Related: does anyone know Cameron? Would be nice for him to get on here and share his thoughts about 29ers, 24hr races, the REBA, etc...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
In the middle of another thread, the Kenda Kharma 2.2" was announced. Kenda's so far seem to have a good DIY tubeless record, and what's the word on 26" Kharma's? Any good for faster rolling?
I've seen riders successfully work their big-knobbed tire with a powertool to trim down the knobheight. Sometimes, when a tire has a lot of side knobs, you can do with half of them for a rear tire. Trimming the centre knobs would be like turbo-speed wearing them down. Far from ideal, but it has already sene a Maxxis Highroller going from a bad roller over-gripping 550g meat to a fast 470g rear tire that should suffice for most Dutch conditions at least. However, in reality, giving riders chose stock folding Nano's for it's natural rolling ability, behaviour and cush.

Shiggy's Aug '03 review of the Kenda Karma 2.0"
Dual Tread Compound, averaging 454g, at pretty decent casing size. A 29x2.2" should perform vastly better on all surfaces, and weigh...550g? Someone check the Kenda booth at Eurobike and Interbike!

·
Registered
36 Posts
TN29'er said:
Tell me more about these Ti 29ers. I am not familiart with them. Where can I get the specs on one?
The frames are from Jason Gaikowski. He was a builder for Croll back in the day. He's moved to KC now and mainly builds and specs bikes for his friends in his spare time. I forwarded the inquiries about his frames on to him. He was toying with the idea of another batch earlier this summer. The frames were not cheap. They still have the tube markings on them which helps in our quest for an industrial look.

I've ridden a fair amount of 29ers so far (I know I'm biased), and this has been the best I've been on. Steers quick, stiff bb feel, but still with the cushy ti ride.

The picture posted above by ncj01 of the Wudchuks at the 04 OC includes 3 of the 4 members of the 24/9 team. Jason is on the far left, me second from the left, and Scott Capstack third from the left. (Eric Carter our 4th man is not pictured.) The guy on the far right is Paul Quindry who competed in The TransAlp race this summer. As far as he could tell, he was the only one on a 29er.

I'll contact Cameron and see if he might have the chance to answer some questions. I'll throw some ideas at him, and see what he comes back with.

Craig Stoeltzing

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Chambers

Cam is a good friend of mine from High School. I spoke to him shortly before the race. He said he was pretty stoked for the ride. He gets on here every so often and reads. I don't think he really posts. 260 is like a training ride for that guy. He did 340+ at Old Pueblo. The coolest guy you'll ever meet. Can't believe he hasn't caught more press time thus far. He's killing em. The beautiful thing, he doesn't care. It's like an edge for him. He's off the radar. He just rides.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
This thread deserves a pic of the man himself. But now I know why he's hardly in the press, he's nearly impossible to capture for photographers!
Cameron, congrats!

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
Just saw the '05 Trek/Fisher catalog, and he's in there 2-3 times prominently, which I think is very cool. Nice to see a "local" guy getting some national press.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Kysriums for MTB?

Is it just me or is the fella with the CX1 (second from left) rocking some Ksyrium Elites for 29er MTB use? I just picked those up for my roadie and they are stout but never imagined stout enough for MTB.

Anyone else riding Ksyriums off road?

Sean

ncj01 said:
Pinky, we've been hearin' little tid-bits (only if one really pays attention) about Gaikowski Ti 29ers since I photo'd and posted them up after the 04 OC this year. Can you or one of the crew post up some new/better-detail photo's, reviews, opinions, contact info, web sites, order and pricing info, typical or custom geometry options, availability/etc??

Related: does anyone know Cameron? Would be nice for him to get on here and share his thoughts about 29ers, 24hr races, the REBA, etc...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ksyriums

Soupboy said:
Is it just me or is the fella with the CX1 (second from left) rocking some Ksyrium Elites for 29er MTB use? I just picked those up for my roadie and they are stout but never imagined stout enough for MTB.

Anyone else riding Ksyriums off road?

Sean
In the picture those are the original Ksyrium SSC wheels. I've run them ever since Feb 04 and had great luck with them. I've put between 1200-1500 miles on them with a mix of tubed and tubeless. They work great tubeless. I have broke 1 spoke, but it was a stick that wedged between the spoke and the seat stay. It bent but did not break the spoke. As an experiment I didn't replace the spoke and continued to ride the wheel until it broke about 200 miles later. I then replaced the spoke and haven't trued the wheels since. Rock Solid. Another guy around here has been running the Ksyrium Elites with good luck. We are both fairly light riders and are not hard on wheels as a general rule.

Also, here are Cameron's thoughts on the Reba:
"The Reba burys any 29 inch fork I have ridden. And I have ridden nearly
every generation of every fork. It has the stiffnes of the WB, which is why
I was riding that fork, but is heads above it on suspension quality. Mostly
that is because of real easy adjustability that makes sense. At nine mile I
was riding nearly all of the singletrack with the compression locked out and
the flood gate nearly all open. It made the fork accelerate up short rises
and out of corners with a good amount of stiffness yet was soaking up
anything that was harsh enough to jar me. Basically SPV style. But I didn't
have the SPV headache with set up. Positive and Negative pressures for
whatever weight rider where posted on the back of the fork leg. And that
part worked like a SID. I usually always run more pressure than is
recommended but because I had such a wide range of adjustability I just ran
recommended and has quite happy when I was running the whole thing wide open
at the end of the race when your hands and wrists have had it. The other
thing that excited me alot was the feel of the fork fully locked out. I
never warmed up to the lock out at the bottom of the travel like the zoch.
And my WB I don't like because it slops around weird and bugs me, I keep
thinking something is breaking. The Reba I was fully hammering out of the
saddle on the front of the bike and it gives enough to keep you tracking
straight and not jar at all. All in all it might be what we need to really
usher in some of the people not sure about the 29er thing."

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Interesting...

...I'm anything but light at 240ish fully loaded but I'm impressed that the Mavic road wheels hold up to anyone's off road abuse. Now, if only they made a disc specific set...

I had the brief chance to exchange pleasantries with Mssr. Cameron at the Crowder event this spring. I believe he pulled out of the race - wasn't feeling well - but was totally fired up regardless and imploring people to take part in a race in Kansas sometime this summer.

It's amazing how well this young guy does in endurance events - as they seem to be more the forte of more "mature" athletes. Look out for when this kid gets "old".

Sean

1 - 20 of 24 Posts