Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am looking at getting a new mountain, but I can't decide on a 29 inch tire or a 27.5. I want to be able to do the features that I have difficulty with now with my 26 inch, but don't want those features to be too easy so I never learn how to do them. Am I over thinking it?

Please help

Thank you!
Kristie

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
You do know that there is less than a ½ inch difference in radius between a 26" wheel and a so called 27.5?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Go test ride some bikes and see what YOU like. All you are going to get with your question here is 29er fans saying get a 29er and 27.5 fans saying go 27.5. There is a huge difference between the two, and you need to decide for yourself which works for your riding style and trails.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a relative novice but I have a 29" Scott Spark and a cheap motobecane 27.5" hardtail. From riding both of those, I decided to get a 27.5" Pivot Mach 6 which I just got a couple of days ago.

This is my take so far.

The 29" feels more stable and is smoother over small closely spaced bumps. Some trails here have lots of roots and it's nicer on that. The rocks at monte sano park, though, were a bit rough with the 100mm suspension. Plus the large tires went where they wanted to and it was generally harder to correct my riding mistakes compared the the 27.5".

The 27.5" makes me feel like I have a lot more control. I can maneuver it to where I want when I want and can correct bad turns easier. The 29" seemed more like I was just along for the ride.

For my size (5'8"), I think the 29" would be best for XC and the 27.5" for rougher stuff. Then again a long travel 29" might be perfect for everything.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Hi! I am looking at getting a new mountain, but I can't decide on a 29 inch tire or a 27.5. I want to be able to do the features that I have difficulty with now with my 26 inch, but don't want those features to be too easy so I never learn how to do them. Am I over thinking it?

Please help

Thank you!
Kristie
Yup, because wheel size is going to make you a better rider.

And I really don't get this statement "but don't want those features to be too easy so I never learn how to do them."

If you can do them that means you learned how to do them.

·
Rock and/or Roll
489 Posts
Yup, because wheel size is going to make you a better rider.
And I really don't get this statement "but don't want those features to be too easy so I never learn how to do them."
If you can do them that means you learned how to do them.
You should try and be a little less critical of a persons post, when english isn't their primary language.

To the OP: I personally prefer the 26" wheel size. The bigger wheels just feel bigger to me, not any better.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
You should try and be a little less critical of a persons post, when english isn't their primary language.
I wasn't critical of her English, so why are you?

I would have never guessed English to not be her first language especially seeing from her profile that she lives in the US. It actually is better than most people from this country.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Same issue with 29"

I'm still riding my 26" Trance and no matter what 29" I demo, regardless of terrain, I still do not find much of a difference. Rocks are rocks, logs are logs and bigger wheels do not make them disappear. Just my opinion/observation but something I have to get past to justify spending many thousands of dollars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts