Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well they're finally here.

I'm excited.

I'll try to get pics up soon. Our camara is out of juice.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Saw some today as well

They do look great. The shop owner was having a hard time getting a set of Ignitors to seat up while I was there. Finally got it after spraying soap water around the whole bead. That was with a compressor.

Again, they look great and the spoke tension felt very tight so they're probably a very rigid wheelset. The freehub engagement leaves a lot to be desired, nowhere near a King/I9/Hadley. Will be interesting to see what others say. 800 is a lot for a wheelset.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Anybody have an actual real-world weight for the 29er Crossmax wheelset?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
very nice! I love having options, although I have to say I'm pretty happy with the bontrager race lites...

·
Registered
86 Posts
What does that mean

They do look great. The shop owner was having a hard time getting a set of Ignitors to seat up while I was there. Finally got it after spraying soap water around the whole bead. That was with a compressor.
Why is that were they trying to go tubeless or the rim to tire fit was that tight?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Answers

Weight= 1800 grams with skewers and valve stem installed

Thru-axle version? Yes, 20mm front,but not convertible from one to another. In other words you can get a thru-axle version or a QR version. Both cost the same.

Tubeless tire fit- Good. Tighter than most 29"er rims but this is with tubeless ready rated tires. Bontragers TLR Race Lite disc 29"er wheels fit tubeless ready tires the tightest of all. I imagine non-tubeless ready tires will not fit as tightly because the bead tolerances are not in the same league as tubeless ready tires.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
tozovr said:
$775...ouch.
I don't think $775 is that bad. Its in line with other light weight 29" rims. Bonty are $799 X-lites...

·
Registered
103 Posts
anyone heard anything about availability in Europe?

weird with Mavic being French and all, but there's no mention of these on their website, and when I contacted the UK distributer, they just said details are not confirmed yet.

Any sightings of them in other countries?

Is 1800g lighter than the Race X Lite TLR's?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
How wide are the rims on these new high zoot wheels?

Sorry if this is common info among the regulars here, I have not been on line much as of late...

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Answers

For TobCapone: Here is a cut and paste from the other Crossmax thread:

Hey, I'm the guy on Twenty Nine Inches that has the set reffered to here. Yes, they are pre-production, but they are supposed to be only slightly different than the production run in regards to how they seal up with tubeless compatible 29"er tires.

The set weighs 1800 grams including skewers and valve stems.

It is pretty laterally stiff for such a light weight set. I am impressed with the build quality and how they have been performing as "wheels" (Not factoring in the tubeless element) The only nit? The bearings in the rear wheel need adjusting. To be fair, this set came to me after being demoed by someone else, so I have no idea how many rides/miles are on them.

In regards to the Bontrager Race X Lite TLR wheels, the Mavics seem a bit stiffer. The Bontragers are great wheels though, and for guys that like their non-proprietary parts and Swiss made hubs, they are the only way to go.

As far as the tubeless factor, I can only comment on the Bontrager "system", because the Mavics are only recommended to be run with Hutchinson's Python tires which I do not have yet. That said, the Bontrager tires work just fine on the Mavic wheels. The Bontrager TLR system is bomber. I am using the entire system, including the Super Juice sealant, which is a glycol based sealant idea borrowed from the trucking industry.

My contact at Mavic said the Mavic C29ssmax Wheels should be here any day now, (meaning available for sale, they already are "here" in the U.S.) I suspect that sales will be brisk, since Mavic says they are concentrating effort on these to meet demand.

The rumored 24 spoke Bontrager wheels are the "crows foot" spoked pattern wheels that we got a snaek peak of out at the product launch in Santa Cruz last spring. No word on when these might become available, but they are said to be laterally and radially stiffer than the 28 spoke Race X Lite wheels out now.

Hope that clears some things up for you.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

29erchico: XC width. 24mm outer measurement. Same as the Bonty wheels.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
29erchico said:
How wide are the rims on these new high zoot wheels?

Sorry if this is common info among the regulars here, I have not been on line much as of late...
19mm inner, 23mm outer

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just had a set come through the shop with the rep today. Sounds like they hit the states last week and are available. He also mentioned that this is essentially the 29er version of the Crossmax ST wheelset.

my .02

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
mtn_man2 said:
Just had a set come through the shop with the rep today. Sounds like they hit the states last week and are available. He also mentioned that this is essentially the 29er version of the Crossmax ST wheelset.

my .02
Out here (east Coast) our Rep has his demo wheels and said the rest will be in in about 4 weeks. I'm actually building a few walkways for he and his wife as well as instaling 2 granite landings. Very nice to do business at the Mavic office in Haverhill, MA LOL. If I'm not mistaken, everything ships from Haverhill...and I looked and peeked everywhere, no 29ers:D

My wife insists I'm not "working" when at these meetings LOL.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts