Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am looking for a new bike and can't (yet) afford a whole stable-- how many of you have a 29er as your only mtb, or, if you had to trim down to one, would keep the 29er??

I like climbing, technical climbing, and twisty singletrack...

Thanks

·
fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
448 Posts
Dude, you're gonna get so many responses to this with a "Hell Yeah" that you'll look nuttier than squirrel poo!

Yes, I ride nothing but 29ers, three to be exact. More if my wife would allow it.

FNutz

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Sounds like the riding you like is what 29ers excel at, especially if you're on the tall side.

Unless my RFX is going to Whistler, it just hangs on the wall and whines, while my Sultan happily goes out day after day on rides varying from race to smooth xc to rough xc to technical climbing/descending.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
i just sold my giant anthem. it was lighter and had fs but after getting my ht 29er, the anthem just sat in the garage. i might add a Niner jet9, if the reviews are good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
alpka said:
As I am looking for a new bike and can't (yet) afford a whole stable-- how many of you have a 29er as your only mtb, or, if you had to trim down to one, would keep the 29er??

Thanks
Yes...I have two 29ers...the last 26er in the stable hangs in the corner unused and lonesome.
My son rarely uses his 26er...always want to use the spare 29er.

As far as trimming down to one bike...not a great idea...you can always use a spare ride.

b3ksmith

·
Registered
52 Posts
yes, its not a novelty item like a "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans-maro-bird that you use when the weather is nice.

I ride 29" wheeled bikes because they work well for me. I have a HT, a SS, and a cross bike that can fit smaller (700x45's) rubber on. The mtn bikes will take the big cross tires and they all use the same tubes.

·
old part timer
137 Posts
My 26" bike now is on display at the local bike shop. I don't miss it at all. The one 29er is all I need.

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
6 months back, I owned 26" bikes, today I own 1 29" and the rest are parted for sale.
I hope to have two 29r's soon, one geared and 1 SS, both El Mariachis.

G

·
Only one bike in the corral....

And it's a 29 HT.

Works well for a quick after-work ride, works well for an all-day epic.

·
Registered
830 Posts
All I need is a hardtail 29er and a road bike. If I were limited to one, I'd take the 29er. To answer your question simply:

HELL YEEE!!!

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
I'm a fairly recent convert (on big wheels for 2 months).
After riding a 29'er for a month I decided to give my beloved a Stumpjumper a chance to redeem it's self.
It beat the living crap out of me! I used to, as well as anyone who ever rode it, considered it one of the sweetest riding bikes on the trail.
Now I don't know what to do with it; it as way too much sentimental value to sell, but the 29'er is faster and more enjoyable to ride.

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
alpka said:

Thanks
In addition to my road bike, I have a FS 26er and I just got a rigid SS 29er. If I had to pick one now, I'd go with the gears and suspension. That said, I am so impressed with my 29er I have plans to get a FS 29er and I guess I'll be selling my 26er.

·
Registered
485 Posts
dos niner is my only mtb. converted 26er to a dedicated training bike. its even got 700c's with slicks for the road. great setup, but itll never see dirt again.

the dos does almost everything really well. an extra set of wheels is nice though.

·
Registered
878 Posts
a good addiction

your trails sound just like where I ride...

I keep my beloved 26" geared Vicious Metal Guru, a GREAT GREAT BIKE, built up in the basement and keep saying ...ill keep the gears for the big days...

Thing is...ive never looked back from Dec. 06 when i got my first 29'r...just bought my second...with gears for the big days...hopefully ill ride this one and reconcile my rigid SS addiction.

Attachments

·
n3rd
253 Posts
All I have is a 29er rigid SS--sold my 26 geared hard tail. Planning on building up a new 29er Rigid SS and converting the old one to a fixie sometime in the beginning of 08.

29ers aren't a novelty bike like say a TT/Tri bike.. no reason to keep a 26er around once you buy a 29er IMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts