Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding a full squish Trek Fuel EX and have Rekon 2.60 upfront and rear.
What would you guess is a good starting point for PSI Font/Rear on this bike at 220 lbs 6.1 or 100kg before water and stuff, and fairly aggressive.

I know this is bad !!!! but I have been doing the squeezy the tire thing and riding. This might work for a trail side flat but not ideal . This technique is making for inconsonant bite and traction characteristics,

Just for fun, did some testing with the new gauge, I was not even close to "replicating the same psi" by a squeeze on a 2.6" up to 8-9 psi delta, honestly, shocked at how hard it is to "guess" the psi on a wider tire
I just got a Topeak SmartGauge D2. with new guage in hand where would yall start for a Big guys like me

· Registered
407 Posts
I am not quite as big (200) and neither is my tire (Dissector 2.4WT) but I started at 25 psi. I have been experimenting with a few pounds higher but lower seems too squishy during riding (the tire almost seems like it's going to roll over sometimes). I'm not sure the bike matters but the rim width might, mine are 29mm inner width. And I'm running approximately the same psi in the rear, and that's a Rekon 2.25). Also FWIW, I have the earlier version of the Smartgauge that I just found after not seeing it for approximately 10 years. Still works, and still has original battery!

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
What is your rim width? Which casing?

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I would start at f23/r25 and work from there. Any time kisses in g outs I would add a psi. I would test lower at times based upon trail conditions.

You are going to get some recommendations from big guys that run high teens. A lot of this is speed dependent, and you may not have issues until you are fullgas.

Also, don’t forget to set PSI at the trailhead when temps have normalized a bit. If stored in a hot garage or an ac house it can make a few psi difference.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Played with PSI some today, on those 2.60's and wider rims, 20/25 felt really good today on the current conditions, which was very dry with some loose over hard packet, did a few hard carving turns and felt rock solid, never got squirmy at all. Tomorrow , i will try come rock gardens, Wife we kept doing down on , she is not at 18/21 but her body weight is 128lbs, she want to try it a little lower next ride.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Played with PSI some today, on those 2.60's and wider rims, 20/25 felt really good today on the current conditions, which was very dry with some loose over hard packet, did a few hard carving turns and felt rock solid, never got squirmy at all. Tomorrow , i will try come rock gardens, Wife we kept doing down on , she is not at 18/21 but her body weight is 128lbs, she want to try it a little lower next ride.
At her weight on a 30mm rim and 2.6 tire, I would expect her to be about 14/16.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.