Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AK Chris mentioned something in his thread that was news to me and it piqued my interest: A Surly 1x1 can be run as a 29er? Is this right? Any other folks got any experience with this set up? If this does work, are any special mods needed? or is this simply a matter of pushing the rear wheel as far back as possible? What about wheel/tire in the stock fork or are we talking about a switch to the Monkey fork? Disc brake setup, since the v-brakes won't line up?

Any insight?

·
Just Ride!
1,288 Posts
Back when I was sampling 29er wheels and before actually buying a real 29er frame, I used a 1x1 fork with 29 Motoraptors and there is more than enough mud clearance. Of course you would have to run disc, unless you cut and re-weld the canti studs, like I did.

Attachments

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
419 Posts
BB Height?

I'm curious what effect it has on the ride, given that the BB is ~1.5" higher off the ground. Probably need a frame 1 size smaller than your typical ride to account for the increased stand over.

You could run enormous crank arms with the increase in ground clearance.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
It would actually be 1.25" higher :)
26" rims are 22.5", 700c rims 25".
Some people think a tall BB makes for quick handling. I can't verify, but I see that to be true where it's about avoiding rocks and toads, the bike taking a different line while your COG goes on in a fluent line.
In a tight turn without a tree limiting the turning circel, the COG takes a shorter route with a tall BB. Wheels will have to turn faster, exit speed could be good, accerating through the turn, even without pedaling. I'm rolling off topic here.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Up here, Pat Irwin had 29er snowcats and the Exiwolf's mounted. Clearance on the underside of the crown was tight, but there's a little room to file the bottom side of the steerer if needed. 29er wheels/tires will fit fine.

·
Registered
940 Posts
29x1x1

Yea, I've been running both my 1X1s as 29ers for a year now, and love it. Pinky is disc so I run 29er SnoCats, or Marge Gazz. 3.0. It does it all, but the new Exiwolfs rub the steerer protrusion on the fork, so a dremel is in order there. But I had to sell my Exi's to satisfy demand, so not even I can enjoy them. The Nano's work fine, so I know the Exi is bigger.

On my old 1X1 that's not disc ready, I had the studs moved to work with 29". It works great and I get to ride my old standby and smile. Nothing like big wheels. The standover does increase quite a bit, so if you're already too close for comfort, sizing down is an option. Otherwise I'd just get a 29er frame and be done with it.

Pat irwin

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Let's see a photog, Pat Irwin.

Hi Pat Irwin,

Hurl here; do you have any photogs of your 1x1(s) as 29er? I just finished my brown kung fu monkey, and the 2.3 Exiwolfs are boss. Had to laugh at you selling them; hard to come by right now, indeed.

cheers from Minneapolis.

-Hurl

·
Registered
940 Posts
Pat to Hurl

Hurl, good to hear from you after so long. What's new, what's next, where do we go from here? Where's the money you owe me, mother fu......?
You'll recognize my old 1x1 standby as the first SS you guys ever gave me, and I'll never be able to part with it. I wasn't riding it much as a 26, so the 29er surgery has given it new life. As the proud pappy of the 1X1, you'd be so proud.
Hope all is well and I'll get a pic up soon,
Pat

·
Registered
122 Posts
dont keep us waiting...

haha, im super excited to see those pics! a 1x1 29er style! i have a pal running fat cx tires on an old gt mountainbike frame, but to see full on 29er tire fitting just migth sell me a 1x1 as a single do all bike. switch back and forth from 29er and slick 700c commuter, or when the bigger travel is needed throw on the old small wheels and sherman fork...

·
Registered
940 Posts
No mods needed

other than having the studs moved to fit 29". A friend here in Alaska did it for me, and he's also the one who bent the bar.
The tire on there is a Moto, but I also run SnoCats with Nanos just fine. The fork in the pic is an old Tange that came as the rigid option on Voodoo bikes back in the day. It's nothing special, but has a hair more clearance than the 1x1 fork, but I also have a Pink 1x1 with 1 rear disc and the same snow wheels fit with the 1x1 fork. The new Exi will fit the Tange, but not the 1x1. A dremel will take care of that though.....
Hurl, I wish I could tell you that the Tange fork was a high dollar made especially for me, but it's actually one I put on for the first Iditasport I won just to save a few grams. I'm such a weight weenie, you know....
I also can't throw anything away, and I'm finding new life for all those old parts nobody else wants. The crank in the photo is a 1987 XT and it still works just fine. I find it humorous that it's the old 110 bolt pattern that fell out of favor for years, only to be resurrected on the new compact road cranks. Glad I hung on to them.
Cheers, Pat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.