Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first ride will be after work today

7.2C Sight
Medium
Pike 150
I9/Sapim/WTB i23 tubeless
Wolftooth 42t rear, 30t front
RaceFace Atlas Bars - 765mm / w 65mm stem

looking fwd to pedaling something 4.8lbs less than my previous ride (kona Satori)

Will post up my ride impressions/reviews after rides...

photo 1 (2).jpg photo 2 (2).jpg photo 4 (2).jpg

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I think you bought my bike! :lol:
I went to C3 bike shop on Saturday to buy that bike and they had already sold it> Is that where you bought it?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve

As a matter of fact - and i figured as much after reading your posts/thread about bike selection - that my purchase likely was the one that left you in the cold.

yes - bought from C3 - actually pulled the trigger about 10 days back - but was waiting for the wheel parts and shop time to open up for it to be completed... just grabbed it late morning today.

I will say, as 29er rider/cool-aid drinker for over three years - I do not think you will be disappointed with the TBLT... that bike is sooooooo good.

I do believe some of the real and perceived delays for getting the next round of Sight/sRanges in shops - was the port workers strike - which has now been settled. You may give it a few days and check back with the guys at C3 later in the week - the status may change. If I learn anything from them in the short term - ill post up.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Steve

As a matter of fact - and i figured as much after reading your posts/thread about bike selection - that my purchase likely was the one that left you in the cold.

yes - bought from C3 - actually pulled the trigger about 10 days back - but was waiting for the wheel parts and shop time to open up for it to be completed... just grabbed it late morning today.

I will say, as 29er rider/cool-aid drinker for over three years - I do not think you will be disappointed with the TBLT... that bike is sooooooo good.

I do believe some of the real and perceived delays for getting the next round of Sight/sRanges in shops - was the port workers strike - which has now been settled. You may give it a few days and check back with the guys at C3 later in the week - the status may change. If I learn anything from them in the short term - ill post up.
LOL funny how close that bike came to living with me in Castle Rock! I actually test rode it, and it had a really short stem on it and felt a bit small. So I rode the large and it felt a bit big. So on Saturday I was planning on confirming that the medium with a longer stem was the right fit, and I had the money ready to drop on it.

In fact, I think your bike was in the repair stand when I was there. I recognize the blue bars! I was like "sell me that one!". "Sorry, that belongs to a customer" :(

It looks like you made some sweet upgrades. Did you need to change out the crank to run your 1X?

I'm sure my TBLT will make me happy. You think I'm made of money? I'm not going to buy a Sight after all the dough I just spent on that Tallboy! (Although having both would be pretty sweet!)

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,894 Posts
Plastic pedals with reflectors looks humorous on a bike that.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like a kid at the candy store - had to get those first pix - wheels are now de-stickered and pedals changed - sag adjusted and off to the trail in a bit...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've found that 25-27% sag works great, as I first tried 22-23%, and it was a little pogo-like. Rear rebound speed is around the middle setting, not too fast, not slow. You're gonna love it once you get things set up!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SO - first off - holy freekin shnikeez! What a bike in so many ways!! Will add more color and detail after a couple more rides and i get her dialed a bit more - but for a first ride - it was truly a revelation
In a nutshell:
- everything all the mag/forum reviews have stated thus far.
- It was my first ever Carbon MTB ride - and it was so stiff, quiet - beautiful really. - The Pike is all they say it is - stiff and without touching it after basic sag and starter rebound setting - subdues the small stuff, eats the big stuff
- poormans 1x conversion - Wolftooth 42tGC (shimano version on new XT cassette) - shop dialed this in perfect w the X9 rr der. It was butter smooth and crisp. I am now a SRAM fan - as the shifting was so fast, crisp and light at the controls. 30t frt - looks like I need to work on my fitness for some of these front rage climbs - didnt kill me but I felt it as had lower gearing on my overweight 29er
- Formula brakes - i planned to swap these for shimano - but reviews and shop guys love em - once they bedded and I adjusted the lever reach - they felt great

I found my self riding it like my 29er (as I accustomed to) and was almost dangerous with the steering and finesse - i dont need to do either as input for this bike to go where you want - i carved a couple slower tech moves and switchbacks so much tighter I almost dumped the bike for being too tight around things... fortunately kept her going and no rash on me or bike!

a gratuitous trail shot...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I am worried about low enough gearing as well with my TBLT 1X. 29er wheels compounds the problem. I'm going with a 28T front. I think you could probably do the same with a direct mount from Woolftooth, MRP, or Northshore billet.

Sounds like a sweet ride (as I knew it would be :madmax: )
:lol:

If I bought that bike, I was thinking of switching the Monarch shock to the Fox CTD. Did you ever feel like you needed some platform climbing up that hill? (Deer Creek?)

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Kamper11, where was that photo taken, NTM?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ Smilinsteve - I flipped to the lock mode on the monarch once - but I've grown fond of an active rear - so it only lasted while on the grind climb in cottonwood canyon to the rocky section rebuild (after flooding). Kept it open the rest of the time, and i feel unless on a double track or fireroad or long grind, i wont use it that much. Rear felt great set btw 25-28ish %

@Pau11y - yep - NTM - I believe they call the trail on the south side over 58/coors Cottonwood Canyon? this was after sessioning the rocky section that was rebuilt. Were you out there yest??

@jimmy - not sure - but guessing a pound or so... I am running maxxis 2.4 HRII fr, Minion DHRII rear - so some non-xc rubber -

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like that bike. I have been reading a ton on bikes lately. Been looking hard at Norco. Going to check them out at a shop here soon. I'm looking at sight vs range. Enjoy that beast!

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Ntm

No, but I will to tonight :D

Hey, if I didn't mention it, that's ONE SEXY BIKE! I've been partial to SC bikes but I've always held a fond place for Norcos...could have been from my BMX days. But MAN, have they stepped their game up lately! Congrats!

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Congrats! Sharp looking bike. Sounds like you're going to love it.

30-42 seems too tall? You guys must have some long steep climbs over there on the Front Range. I'm going 32-42 on my 33# Chili with the OneUp conversion (and 34-42 with the XO1 on my 5010). I may be suffering. :{

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or - it could be I aint no spring chicken anymore - will be 47 far too soon now
and
I probably like comfort food and beer far too much!! Inc that post ride craft IPA that turns into a few by time I close out!!

K-Rob - just a note that I've followed your reviews/impressions quite a bit - thanks for the post - i do believe this is the bike that goes the next mile for me and my riding. That 5010 to compliment your Chili should make for an awesome 2 bike do everything stable. Will also look forward to those impressions.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Wow, that is one nice ride! Friend of mine has his Range geared the same and is thinking of going 32 up front. We have long steep climbs but he is young and strong. Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts