Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be switching to a Karate Monkey. I'll be building a set of 36 hole Rhynolite/XT wheels. Because of my size (280#) my local bike shop owner has advised me to go with a 4x lacing as opposed to 3x lacing.

Any opinions here. Will 4x really make the wheel any stronger?

·
This place needs an enema
16,919 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
I will soon be switching to a Karate Monkey. I'll be building a set of 36 hole Rhynolite/XT wheels. Because of my size (280#) my local bike shop owner has advised me to go with a 4x lacing as opposed to 3x lacing.

It's a toss up--there are arguments for both. Neither has a clear advantage. Build whichever you have the correct spoke lengths for. Don't be afraid to go 3x/4x on the same wheel (or 4x/3x if it's the rear...).

MC

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
lil hillbilly said:
isnt the 4x thing a high flang specific thing? the set i laced has been great. white ind on delgatos 36 4x:thumbsup:
No. Number of spokes has has more to do with the number of crosses that can be used than the flange diameter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd do 14 gauge straight spokes 3X on a non-disc wheelset... If you're feeling spunky, you might solder a wire at the outermost cross...

You'll loose a bit of braking power going non-disc, but at 280 you could probably benefit more from the wider hub flange (stronger wheel)...

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Discs all they way ...

SPDu4ea said:
I'd do 14 gauge straight spokes 3X on a non-disc wheelset... If you're feeling spunky, you might solder a wire at the outermost cross...

You'll loose a bit of braking power going non-disc, but at 280 you could probably benefit more from the wider hub flange (stronger wheel)...
I am on a standardization kick right now. I'm using discs right now, so I'm going to keep using discs. Besides, I already have the hubs and the brakes.

Looks like I'll give 4x a try. According to the spoke calculator, there is not much difference. Keeping the spokes at approximately right angles to the hub does seem to make sense as this is the way the forces are expressed on the spokes.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
3x

I once went on a 6 wk loaded touring trip with 4x wheels, and the experience was terrible because I broke 12 spokes, and had to remove the freewheel for every single one. On a 3x wheel I could still leave the freewheel on halve the time. Never saw the advantage, it is the quality of the materials, and the quality of the build that counts more than anything!
Later trips without a single break often.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
I am on a standardization kick right now. I'm using discs right now, so I'm going to keep using discs. Besides, I already have the hubs and the brakes.

Looks like I'll give 4x a try. According to the spoke calculator, there is not much difference. Keeping the spokes at approximately right angles to the hub does seem to make sense as this is the way the forces are expressed on the spokes.
Read this. Lots of good info...

http://www.geocities.com/spokeanwheel/lacinggw.htm

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Unless you're wed to the XTs, you might want to consider a wicked h00g flange like these Hope Big Uns. I built one up for the front, very burly. Not compatible with WB forks though (can be QR or TA).

willtsmith_nwi said:

·
from the east
288 Posts
um...

Soupboy said:
Unless you're wed to the XTs, you might want to consider a wicked h00g flange like these Hope Big Uns. I built one up for the front, very burly. Not compatible with WB forks though (can be QR or TA).

Is my counting off, or are there only 5 disc mount tabs sticking out of them hubs?

Is that a Hope thing?

eric.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Bicycle Rider said:
Is my counting off, or are there only 5 disc mount tabs sticking out of them hubs? Is that a Hope thing? eric.
Yes, 5-bolt rotor. Now primarily a Hope thing - used to be a few companies that offered them. Wider bolt pattern also results in stiffer rotor. Rotors widely available from Hope or their distributors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.