Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build or buy a lightweight (@1600g) wheelset for xc riding/racing and it would also serve as my everyday training/trail wheels. I would run out and buy the DT Swiss 1540's or the BR Race X Lites, but the price is bordering on insane. I'm lightweight (145lbs) and don't drop/jump more than 2ft really, so I probably don't stress wheels too much.

The wheels mentioned above are 28 spoke hubs. Obviously this saves maybe 50g per wheelset. My question is how much stronger/stiffer is a 32 spoke wheel vs 28 spoke wheel assuming a similar rim/hubs etc? If I build a set, I don't want to have to true them every other ride.

If I build a set using say Hope Pro 2 hubs, Olympic rims, double butted spokes (DT Swiss comp? wheelsmith?), and brass nips (is alloy too finicky?), I calculate a 50g penalty for 32 spokes. That's not a bad penalty if the wheels would hold up much better to everyday riding. The final build would be much less expensive and about the same weight as the benchmark wheels like the DT Swiss and Bont I mentioned above (add 100g per set to their claimed weights for the rimstrips).

SEE IF THIS SPREADSHEET POSTS PROPERLY...
FRONT (g) REAR (g)
HUB 180 285
RIM (W/TAPE) 365 365
32 SPOKES 173 173
NIPS 32 32
Valve Stems 15 15
765 870 1635

So how big of a diff do 32 spokes make in the durability?? Should I just stick with 28?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Do you trash wheels?

You are light. If you have a good history with wheels, the difference between 28 and 32 shouldn't offer you any extra troubles and you will enjoy the weight savings. I weigh 165 and ride low-spoke count XC wheels without problems. Although the current wheelset on my 29" is 32h.

If you have a history of wheel problems, bending rims, etc, I would stick with 32 or 36.

JMH

Rich A. said:
I'm looking to build or buy a lightweight (@1600g) wheelset for xc riding/racing and it would also serve as my everyday training/trail wheels. I would run out and buy the DT Swiss 1540's or the BR Race X Lites, but the price is bordering on insane. I'm lightweight (145lbs) and don't drop/jump more than 2ft really, so I probably don't stress wheels too much.

The wheels mentioned above are 28 spoke hubs. Obviously this saves maybe 50g per wheelset. My question is how much stronger/stiffer is a 32 spoke wheel vs 28 spoke wheel assuming a similar rim/hubs etc? If I build a set, I don't want to have to true them every other ride.

If I build a set using say Hope Pro 2 hubs, Olympic rims, double butted spokes (DT Swiss comp? wheelsmith?), and brass nips (is alloy too finicky?), I calculate a 50g penalty for 32 spokes. That's not a bad penalty if the wheels would hold up much better to everyday riding. The final build would be much less expensive and about the same weight as the benchmark wheels like the DT Swiss and Bont I mentioned above (add 100g per set to their claimed weights for the rimstrips).

SEE IF THIS SPREADSHEET POSTS PROPERLY...
FRONT (g) REAR (g)
HUB 180 285
RIM (W/TAPE) 365 365
32 SPOKES 173 173
NIPS 32 32
Valve Stems 15 15
765 870 1635

So how big of a diff do 32 spokes make in the durability?? Should I just stick with 28?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.