Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received two of these 27W 1400 Lumen 3x P7 LED lamp heads last night.

11v - 18v 27W rated. I hooked up 4x Panasonic 2.9AH 18650 Li-ion cells in series and used a Magicshine battery bag. I use 4mm female battery leads and added a 4 cell balance harness.

How does it work?
210grams for the head+bracket+removable rear fins.
160grams for the head only (this will work nice on a helmet)
Blows the Magicshine P7 away - lots more penetration and more spread
Nicer colour than the Magicshine. Looks like around 5000K.
Looks like 3x the light output of a Magicshine.
Cheap - I got mine for $50 USD + $40 for the batteries - ie a great light for under $100 USD.
Has a bar bracket included

Has several light modes, very low (1W I think), medium, full, 0.7hz flashing, and SOS. I seem to recall it remembers your last setting (I will double check this).

Bottom line:
This has got to be to cheapest and quickest way in to decent lighting. I is much better than a Magicshine. You will also need a inline switch and battery balancing charger (I recommend the Turnigy 6S 6A - do not buy a clone).

BTW - RC users know that not balance charging will give only 100 charge/ discharge cycles or less, but balance charging and cell monitoring- ie properly looking after your batteries will give 500 cycles.

Sorry Mods - I got home late, so I did not get a chance to take photos - so I have posted the eBay ones here. There are also clips on Youtube - I will look for the links.

Note - currently not listed on eBay.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
My major comment would be that IF driven at the full 2.8A per P7 there better be thermal rollback in the driver or that thing will have serious issues for such a small package and minimal finning.

I've run thermal tests on considerably larger triple P7 light housings with substantially more fin surface area and even those housings required thermal management of the drive current to the LEDs to prevent the housing from going north of 60C.

The tab on that bracket looks pretty flimsy - does the bar clamp do away with the bracket?

cheers,
george.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Light has been posted once before. Not sure if it was here or over on CPF though. Not much of a splash.:skep:
Not P7 though. Those are triple core leds so I have been guessing this is what is in the light. Led link.
Not sure of any other triple core out there, but someone here might have a better guess.:confused:

Here is the ebay link for the light.
Text from ad.

This auction is for 1 pc Black spotlight
Ultra bright 9-LEDs waterproof spotlight
LED life span over 10000 hours
Good for running light: wide light angle & high brightness
3W each LED of total 27W output; 1500 Lumens 2 Amps
55mm (2.15") diameter x 66mm (2.6") in length
Working voltage from 12VDC to 18VDC
Anodized black aluminum light body
A stainless steel "L" mount + an aluminum clamp mount
Without using the clamp, can bolt on a flat surface
Wire length is approximately 41 inches
White wire positive & black wire negative
Comes with male and female waterproof connectors
Easily clamp to any 22~25mm tube or handlebar
Univsersal fit for bicycles, motorcycles, cars, trucks, boat.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
odtexas
I think that's 3*P7 - one can clearly see 4 cores in all three LEDs.
Pepster
What's the runtime in middle and in maximum mode?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think odtexas could be right there. If you look closely you can actually see only 3 emmitters per LED.

The email add also descibes it as 3W per LED = 27W (can only be 3 x 3 x 3)

But the link he provided is only 1W per emitter (ie 3W per LED) and the LED does look like it could be different (ie square emitters vs. round)

perhaps if Pepster could post a picture of the actual light, that'lll clear up the confusion.

would be interested to see what they are

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I've seen the same thing advertised on auction as quad Q5 1500lm. I think when I questioned it they changed the spec to XPG R5. Then the auction vanished.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Regardless of exactly what type of LED it is, the fact it puts out 1500 lumens for the price is huge.

BTW, how is the finish and quality of the light housing? THe little piece of sheet metal where is mounts looks pretty weak. Is it removable?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it does get warm after 5mins - but it is designed to be mounted on a moving vehicle.

The bracket is very strong - I am a 100kg+ strong guy and I cannot bend the bracket - this is designed automotive strong, ie much stronger than the average bike gear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fujio001 said:
Regardless of exactly what type of LED it is, the fact it puts out 1500 lumens for the price is huge.

BTW, how is the finish and quality of the light housing? THe little piece of sheet metal where is mounts looks pretty weak. Is it removable?
Yes, the bracket is removable - hence the different masses I gave after I weighed the components. The heatsink that holds the bracket simply screws of the back.

The finish and quality of the light housing is fist grade - not a single flaw or blemish.

The guys @ work are impressed - I could have sold several today...

I will post pics when I get home.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Whitedog1 said:
Light head can be found on Ebay in this store: here

Okay, when I clicked onto your link I found this 1500lm lamp. This one looks to be using a single die emitter....??.:confused: ...so...unless they're using SST-50's, no way this is 1500lm...Damn, a triple with SST-50's would be sweet though, but heck...how could you sell a lamp with 3 x SST-50 for only $69.00? :skep: :skep: :skep: By the way, they don't tell you what emitter they actually are using. :nono: ( on this link )

edit...I would love to see some beam pics of one of these.:ihih:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought one of the 9w versions of these and they are not the greatest light i've ever seen, mine was £31 including shipping. I took it apart to have a look inside and it comprises of a disc of aluminium approx 4mm thick that the stars are attached to, they are attached with a white grease which allows them to move around and it is only the lense that keeps them in place.
The disc sits into the body of the light (which is very thin gauge) with no thermal compound, the driver floats around in the space behind the led disc and has no thermal path to the light body.
The led's themselves look very cheap compared to a cree, the dome sits about 3mm high and is squishy like its made of silicon and the star it is mounted to is approx 1mm thick, the link wires between stars are very small gauge single strand bare aluminium.

Personally I wouldn't buy another one and these make the magicshine look very very good, in the end I modified the disc to fit into the head of an old mag light i had and Artic adhesive some Xpe's onto it and used a Bflex to drive it.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
klynk said:
odtexas
I think that's 3*P7 - one can clearly see 4 cores in all three LEDs.
You sure about that?;)
I guess when you say "one can clearly see" that you meant you are the only one.:D
Besides the ad states
"Ultra bright 9-LEDs"
Sort of a give away there as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
odtexas said:
You sure about that?;)
I guess when you say "one can clearly see" that you meant you are the only one.:D
Besides the ad states
"Ultra bright 9-LEDs"
Sort of a give away there as well.
Sorry, you're right. Tricky chinese LEDs... :skep:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts