Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1501 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Has anybody seen or heard when these tires will be available? I for one am excited to try them. I originally bought 26x4 tires for summer use but I didn't like the reduced diameter and with my 80mm rims I didn't like the tire profile and self steer that i was getting. I bought a second set of summer wheels and went with chinese carbon 27.5x50mm rims with Fat B Nimble 27.5 x 3.5 tires. That has been a very light, fast setup for summer but FBN 3.5 are more like 2.75 in width. I would love to get some 27.5x3.8 or 4.0 on there for dirt riding. I haven't seen any mention of being able to buy Bontrager tires in this size or other companies making comparable tires. Any spottings yet?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Has anybody seen or heard when these tires will be available? I for one am excited to try them. I originally bought 26x4 tires for summer use but I didn't like the reduced diameter and with my 80mm rims I didn't like the tire profile and self steer that i was getting. I bought a second set of summer wheels and went with chinese carbon 27.5x50mm rims with Fat B Nimble 27.5 x 3.5 tires. That has been a very light, fast setup for summer but FBN 3.5 are more like 2.75 in width. I would love to get some 27.5x3.8 or 4.0 on there for dirt riding. I haven't seen any mention of being able to buy Bontrager tires in this size or other companies making comparable tires. Any spottings yet?
I've been trying to keep my eye out and haven't seen anything available yet. Even when they are though, don't forget about the minor issue of availability of suitable rims. Those might actually be harder to find at first. I think 650bx4 is going to be perfect for my fat-front summer setup (26x5 is the correct height, but is a bit overkill and sluggish), but I'm not interested in an 80mm wide carbon fiber rim.

Has anyone heard of a manufacturer stepping up and planning a basic, good quality, alloy rim in the 65mm range? Something like a Marge x 650b?

BarbegaziComparo.jpg

·
Registered
361 Posts
I myself am looking forward to getting a 27.5x4, but not in any hurry. I read that other mfrs will be coming out with rims and tires, so there should be a selection. I suspect 65mm will come around eventually, and be popular for this and also B+ as a max width.

The reasons I am looking forward to this tire are first that I've determined that this is the wheel diameter that best suits my body size and preferences. So that means 29+, this, or 26x5. Essentially, we were wondering when they would go up in wheel size next, well, this is how they've done it, and I approve. Second, I've determined that I'm Q-factor sensitive, and full fat frames are too wide for comfort. I will need a special low-q frame, which limits me to 4" tire on 80mm rim. With that frame, a second wheel set in 29+ would make sense, not that it would be absolutely necessary.

Basically, I like fat, and I like diameter. But I can only take so much of each, and this is it for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I stopped into the local Trek dealer at lunch time to day and asked if the tires were available yet. They were able to order a pair for me, they should be here next week! I have 50mm Chinese Carbon rims I will be trying them on. I currently have Fat B Nimble 27.5 x 3.5 but they are way skinnier than 3.5. I am hoping these Hodag will be exactly what I am looking for.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I stopped into the local Trek dealer at lunch time to day and asked if the tires were available yet. They were able to order a pair for me, they should be here next week! I have 50mm Chinese Carbon rims I will be trying them on. I currently have Fat B Nimble 27.5 x 3.5 but they are way skinnier than 3.5. I am hoping these Hodag will be exactly what I am looking for.
Please weigh them and post numbers before you mount them. Also if you could get a bead 2 bead measurement, I would give you a symbolic high five. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Please post back with a ride report on those narrow'ish rims. I'm thinking of trying this myself as a summer option for the Farley.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Please weigh them and post numbers before you mount them. Also if you could get a bead 2 bead measurement, I would give you a symbolic high five. Thanks.
I will definitely weigh them and measure them and post the numbers. In the 2016 Trek Fat Bike thread I saw an actual measured weight of 1290 and 1295 grams.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a Gravity Bullseye that was made for 26x3 tires on 50mm rims. I was able to fit the notoriously undersized FatBNimble in the rear and ended up with either the skinniest fat bike or the widest plus bike, all with standard width components.

I say this on this thread because I am wondering if a 27.5x3.8 on a 45-50mm rim might possibly work in some frames designed for 29x3. I would be very interested in the actual tire width if anyone puts this together.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Gravity Bullseye that was made for 26x3 tires on 50mm rims. I was able to fit the notoriously undersized FatBNimble in the rear and ended up with either the skinniest fat bike or the widest plus bike, all with standard width components.

I say this on this thread because I am wondering if a 27.5x3.8 on a 45-50mm rim might possibly work in some frames designed for 29x3. I would be very interested in the actual tire width if anyone puts this together.
I should be able to make measurements on 50mm rim next week. I will post some numbers once I get them.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
FWIW, I just test rode a Farley 9.8 (27.5x4) and then a Pivot Les Fat with a 26x4 on a sand beach. The 27.5x4 had significantly more float than did the 26x4.

J.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Got a bunch more riding on the 27.5 x 4's this week. Technical rock gardens, baby head ATV tread, buff single track, small pebble gravel roads, big roots, pavement, off trail grassy rocks-- pretty much everything.

I'm sold. The way I describe them is that they are not earth shaking different than my 26x4, just a tad better in every category.

I know one thing--I don't have the slightest interest in any rim or tire smaller than that for summer use--it's a mountain bike, not a gravel grinder!

Can't wait to try them on snow, but I'm also setting up some 100mm with 5". Will be able to use the best tool for the conditions.

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
I'm sold. The way I describe them is that they are not earth shaking different than my 26x4, just a tad better in every category.
BAM! That was the sound of 26" rimmed fatbikes going obsolete. The industry needs a new trend anways now that it has churned through 27.5, 26er fatbikes, enduro and plus bikes in just 3 years.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Holding out for 29er fat wheels and tires with low casings to keep weight down.

Small increments don't make sense. Go right upto the best size in one shot.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
What could possibly give it "significantly more float"?
Trek's marketing materials under the tires......

I can setup my Fatboy so it has considerably less float and grip with a 4.8 tire than my Bucksaw with a 4.0, just pump the 4.8 up to 20psi and drop the 4.0 to 6psi.

Not to say that the 27.5" won't have more float than an identical width and tread pattern 26" tire both set to the same psi, but "significant" is drinking the manufacturer's Koolaid....

61 - 80 of 1501 Posts