Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2020 trek roscoe 7. I went tubeless. I weigh 180lbs.

What psi do you recommend for rooted clay dirt muddy trails (I don't want to go low enough to damage rim)

What psi do you recommend if there is all pavement? (Riding with wife on a paved trail)

What psi would you recommend for a bike jump park?

Just looking for a starting point. I appreciate your time and input!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
So difficult to answer questions like this. You'll need to adjust, but start a bit high.

At my weight, 20psi is way too much and the bike is a pogo stick!

I'm 155 or so and go 12.5/13 in the front.
Rear is 15 max. If I plan to ride trails that are more rocky I stick to around 15 but I go down to 14 if it's a normal ride where I won't be beating up rocks.

Lower a little at a time and if you feel you are hitting obstacles so hard to get a rim strike, note that pressure level and don't go that low for those conditions.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ +1. As low as possible without getting rim strikes or rolling a tire in sharp turns with really good traction. With 2.4" tires I run 14/16 f/r. For 2.8" that would be 12/14 f/r.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I would suggest you start at 19 PSI and trickle down to find your sweet spot. That is what i did. Each ride or 2 go 1 less PSI you might go up 1 when you pass your ideal. I am a light guy so i have a low # but i read tubeless 14 or more.
I pedal to the trails(no car) psi similar everywhere for me but add 2 psi if you spend 4 days away from trails would be my suggestion.

·
EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
953 Posts
I am also around 180# - front will be a bit less than rear. I would do 15 front and 18 rear to start (general riding), 18 front 23 rear (DJ and pavement). You typically wont ding the front, but you will get squirm if you go too low - the rear is where you have to be careful, because the moment you ding your rim its too late.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
All that corresponds to my results too, Plus bike 27.5 x 3 running 17 front and around 20 rear.I'm in the mid 160# range and brutally handsome.

·
just ride
775 Posts
I'm 142 lbs bare and probably 152-155 with gear. On my hardtail (Pedalhead 2019), I run 12 psi rear of my Rocket Ron with Vittoria inserts and 12 psi front for my Butcher 2.8 no inserts.

On my Full suspension (Stumpy 2019), I run 14 psi rear and 12 psi front. Same tire setup as my HT but no inserts.

I'm new to Plus size tires. Maybe only 8 months but I've logged in 2.4k miles between these bikes (3rd one was my 2019 Marin San Quentin 2 that I sold and built a steel HT instead of that nervous aluminum frame). At first my tires would squirm when I take the berms at highspeed no brakes on Flow trails (like Demonstration Forest in Soquel, Ca) but I adjusted my riding to be "smoother" and kept myself active on the bike at all times even when landing small jumps/drops (about 4' is the highest I do). No squirm and have not burp my tires ever since I relearned how to ride smoother. I remember burping my tires 4x on a 4 mile downhill because I was squaring my turns. I've also gotten faster with my setup now and not because I'm trying to pedal fast but because I use less brake, smoothing out the trail with the plus tires and started pumping my bike on berms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.