29, mullet, 27.5, other

• mullet

• other

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,295 Posts
I'm thinking it's probably just easier to design bikes and rear suspension around smaller wheels, or some suspension designs limit what they can do.
Agreed. There's no question that a long travel frame is easier to design around a 27.5 rear wheel. Hence the popularity of the mullet, which is a concept that makes sense to me. I've got an off-road motorcycle that employs a smaller rear wheel than front. It just makes sense inasmuch as the job of each wheel is so different -- one from the other.

I don't own a mullet bike yet but wouldn't hesitate to buy one so long as it's specifically designed as such. I like short chainstays & long travel -- this is easier to do right by building around a slightly smaller rear wheel. That said, I certainly wouldn't go smaller than 29" on the front wheel.

My point: I won't be surprised if the industry ends up embracing the mullet big time. But this will depend on acceptance by the public and consumers buy what they ~think~ they want which isn't necessarily what's best.

Again, a good mullet bike must be designed as such. We can't just throw a 27.5 wheel in a frame designed for 29 F&R and say, "I tried mullet and didn't like it." It doesn't work this way.
=sParty

·
Registered
378 Posts
Again, it's not so much a choice of wheel size, it's a choice of the bike overall.
While it's true. I guess it still depends on the situation or our needs.

In my case, I'm in between sizes. S/M. Most S only have 27.5, while M have 27.5 and 29. We are talking about same bike, same model and brand. Wheels are the obvious deal breaker on this situation.

Think of it this way. If you were looking for a new car, do you look for cars by wheel size? Do you look for cars with 65R17 tires? Or maybe focus on ones with 60R16 sized tires? Of course not. It's a silly question because you have no idea what car these tires are going on. Which one fits you r needs and wants?
With due respect, I think this is not a good comparison. Vehicles are offered as is with no choice of wheel size out of the box. But for the sake of argument, if Ford Raptor will be offered with 285/70 R17 wheel and 195/65 R15 H , do you think people will buy a pickup truck with a size of Ford Focus wheels?

My current daily ride trail bike has 27.5's. I didn't select that bike because it has 27.5's. I bought it because it fit, and it rode and handled the way I wanted and needed. Wheel size was irrelevant. If it happened to have 29's on it, so be it. But it just so happened to have 27.5's.
Well again, it's case to case. My friends prefer 27.5 on trails because they think it's more agile and better control. A 29er Santa Cruz also fits them but they rode 27.5 because they like it. They prefer it. They didn't go to store like.." I need a bronson medium. Just deliver 27.5 or 29.. its up to you seller".

Now, there's a previous response that he owns both 29 and 27.5. He just pick the bike depends on where he will be riding. But not everyone can afford multiple bikes. Not everyone lives in a spacious home (like me living in a condo). Now, back to the dreaded question, if you can only have one bike.. 27.5 or 29?

·
Thicc Member
1,311 Posts
Well, if I'm riding xc I don't want to ride a 27.5. For one, all the good xc bikes are 29. Also with a 1200g wheelset and 700g tires, 29 is agile enough. Compare that to doing some chunky trail riding with 1200g tires, I want 27.5 every time. It's just more fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you elaborate?

If you have to choose one, 29 or 27.5?
Personally if I'm riding longer distances and more open areas I choose 29er. If it's tight single track or large jumps I'd rather have 27.5. but then again everyone's different. When I had my karate monkey it came a 27.5 and I didn't realize how much I liked it until I replace them with 29er Wheels which I had on the bike before that. Now it's just better that I have both.
My 29ers a full rigid single speed but I've been known to take that to the jump track too. It's got schwalbe e Marathon tires which has absolutely no rolling resistance!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
With due respect, I think this is not a good comparison. Vehicles are offered as is with no choice of wheel size out of the box. But for the sake of argument, if Ford Raptor will be offered with 285/70 R17 wheel and 195/65 R15 H , do you think people will buy a pickup truck with a size of Ford Focus wheels?
Maybe that was a bad analogy. My point, though, was some people walk into a bike shop and say, "I'm here to look at only bikes with XX" wheels". They'll completely discount brands and models only because of wheel size. Nobody walks into a auto dealership and says, "I'm here to look at only cars with 18" wheels". If I had approached my bike purchases that way, I know for a fact that I would have missed out on the best bikes for me over the years. My only point is it's about overall design and purpose.

Some cars do come with different wheel size options. One of our Tahoe's has 22's. The other 18's. Same gen, btw. The 22's stay on pavement, the 18's (with a larger OA tire diameter) lives for off-roading. Sure, there's more to it than wheel size between the Tahoe's. Shocks, springs, lift, gears, axles, etc., etc. Design and purpose. That's my point to considering more than just wheel size of a bike.

Maybe I'm a weird outlier on thinking this way... :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Depends. I have 3 29/700c, one 26 and one 20in. Building a 27.5/27.5 plus and one 26.

I like certain wheel sizes for certain things.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts