Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many tires out there it's a bit overwhelming...I'm looking for suggestions for my hardtail Salsa Timberjack...It has i40 rims..I am looking for tires 2.8-3.0...I'll be doing all around type of riding...wherever I find trails as I go around the country....Something with good grip that I can run at low pressure would be great...The stock tubed don't seem to have good traction. thanks, RB

·
Registered
585 Posts
My all around except for mud is the Maxxis Rekon+ aggressive trail tire. Not a hardcore shredder so this tire works just fine for both my Mojo 3 and wife’s Tallboy 27.5+ in the southeast New England trails.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My Chameleon (hard tail) came stock with 2.8" REKON. They seem to work.

I don't know if it's the SRAM brakes, or the tread pattern and a 2.8" tire but I had a hard time breaking the rear tire free with hard braking (no skidding).

Even climbing some of the dry hard pack stuff in the 50t 12 speed it seemed to bite down onto the ground pretty well.

I just put a hole in that tire and replaced it with an IKON, haven't ridden it yet though.

With only having experience in the REKON, it seems like a suitable tire for the various conditions I've put it through.

Some intense mud -okay but what tire will go through snotty mud without some spinning.
Dry climbs - hooked up well
Dry fast single track - seem reliable and predictable
Wet fast single track and climbs - seems reliable and predictable
Wet descents - seems to be fine.

I'm not a great product reviewer for things like that, ESPECIALLY tires. I tend to know that it is good (I'd know if a tire was crap), but I don't have enough experience to say Tire B is any better than this one.

Also, the replacement IKON is for the rear, REKON still in use on the front. Both are tubeless running approximately 15 and/or less (front). Based on a gauge that doesn't have an official 15psi mark on it. I tip the scales less than 160. My scale says 150 but who knows how accurate that is.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the Rekon+ as well, quite impressed with it. The biggest negative is it isn't true 2.8. Mine measures 2.6 on 35id rims.

I'd definitely take a look at the XR4, new XR3, and XR2. Or any of the SE variants if you need thicker casings. The XR4 is my favorite all around tire and I imagine at 2.8 (bonti's measure true to width) it would be a beast. Paired up with a XR3 in the rear would be nice. I'm planning that once these rekon's bite the dust.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
thanks for the suggestions thus far...I was researching some other threads also regarding a set-up like this and I kind of like these tires....thoughts anyone ?

FRONT TIRE: Maxxis HR II 27.5x3.0
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-High-Roller-27-5-3-00/dp/B073WJ3VVS

REAR TIRE: Purgatory Grid 3.0

https://www.jensonusa.com/Specializ...BH3ItIPTE9JvMcy4ridhy7nm63mXCjqQaAoZvEALw_wcB
The High Roller seems like it would be sketchy in the transition zone and too aggressive for a rear in the terrain I ride.

The Purgatory looks like it'd perform comparably to the Rekon+.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Agree with the others, the Rekon+ is a very decent any condition you might encounter type tyre, still has decent sidewall/casing, rolls well. As to the HR2, there are 2 variations, the 60TPI Dual compound and the 120 TPI 3C compound, in either 2.8" or 3.0" widths - 60 TPI has lower thread count with bigger threads and is normally tougher and less supple than the 120 TPI version. The links you provided, only the bottom link is to the PLUS version, the first is to the regular size 2.3-2.4"

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-539-140-high-roller-ii-plus

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
thanks for the suggestions thus far...I was researching some other threads also regarding a set-up like this and I kind of like these tires....thoughts anyone ?

FRONT TIRE: Maxxis HR II 27.5x3.0
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-High-Roller-27-5-3-00/dp/B073WJ3VVS

REAR TIRE: Purgatory Grid 3.0

https://www.jensonusa.com/Specializ...BH3ItIPTE9JvMcy4ridhy7nm63mXCjqQaAoZvEALw_wcB
I like my 29x2.35 Purgatory. I don't know if it rolls as fast as the REKON though. Or if that much tread is necessary as is offered by a 3" tire. Maybe it is, I've just never tired and I don't want to throw that much money way to 'test' a larger tire like that.

I had one 'control' casing tire and I won't have a 2nd. The sidwalls are too thin for the conditions I ride. If you don't ride over sharp stuff the control casing is probably fine. The 'grid' casing seems to be pretty durable.

With that said, I did buy my bike 8 months old then continued to ride it almost 2 years before slashing the sidewall of a front tire (control). The rear tire (control) came pre-cut from the previous owner which I promptly replaced right away.
I replaced both in May of 2018 with the grid casing. So I slashed a front control casing on a 3.5 year old tire and have worn out 2 grid casing rear tires. Not bad having just one issue in that amount of time.

I don't know much about other brand sidewall support/toughness....not enough experience on tires that are not Specialized.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
WTF would you reply to a thread in the PLUS forum, asking about PLUSH sized tyres, only to talk about "regular" size tyres? Do you think people specifically search out the PLUS forum because they're looking for someone to tell them they don't think that PLUS is warranted or needed? :rolleyes: Seriously :skep: You're like trump, no cluew what';s going on, but still blathering away anyway :rolleyes:

I like my 29x2.35 Purgatory. I don't know if it rolls as fast as the REKON though. Or if that much tread is necessary as is offered by a 3" tire. Maybe it is, I've just never tired and I don't want to throw that much money way to 'test' a larger tire like that.

I had one 'control' casing tire and I won't have a 2nd. The sidwalls are too thin for the conditions I ride. If you don't ride over sharp stuff the control casing is probably fine. The 'grid' casing seems to be pretty durable.

With that said, I did buy my bike 8 months old then continued to ride it almost 2 years before slashing the sidewall of a front tire (control). The rear tire (control) came pre-cut from the previous owner which I promptly replaced right away.
I replaced both in May of 2018 with the grid casing. So I slashed a front control casing on a 3.5 year old tire and have worn out 2 grid casing rear tires. Not bad having just one issue in that amount of time.

I don't know much about other brand sidewall support/toughness....not enough experience on tires that are not Specialized.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
WTF would you reply to a thread in the PLUS forum, asking about PLUSH sized tyres, only to talk about "regular" size tyres? Do you think people specifically search out the PLUS forum because they're looking for someone to tell them they don't think that PLUS is warranted or needed? :rolleyes: Seriously :skep: You're like trump, no cluew what';s going on, but still blathering away anyway :rolleyes:
Calm down dude.

Tread pattern and sidewall casing applies in this case. OP is interested in a Purgatory -I ride it and mentioned how the control casing is weak on Specialized tires.
I run the Purgatory tire, I answered I like the tread pattern.

What makes a 2.35" tire "regular" anyway?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Lots of love for the Rekon here and I like it too for a rear tire. I prefer a more aggressive front though and have been very happy with the Terrene Chunk up front. I'm running HR2 on the back now but have the Terrene McFly going on the back next after many raves from other riders I trust. Also take a look at the WTB Vigilante. I've run Spec Purg/Butcher on my 29er and been pleased with them but haven't put them on my plus bike yet.

ETA: There's a wealth of 27.5+ tire feedback in the Plus subforum thread here: https://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-plus-bikes/27-5-tires-931412.html

·
Registered
11,914 Posts
Calm down dude.

Tread pattern and sidewall casing applies in this case. OP is interested in a Purgatory -I ride it and mentioned how the control casing is weak on Specialized tires.
I run the Purg Grids in a 3.0 x 27.5 and like them (and their price).
Sidewalls are definitely a lot better than in the Control versions, as mentioned.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, still researching...I think I am leaning to the Surly Dirt Wizards..The more I thought about it the more I wanted a true 27.5+ x 3.0 tire over a 2.8...So I am thinking going both front and rear with the Wizards or perhaps a Wizard on the front and something like a Purgatory on the rear....One thing I found out is that for a plus sized tires the Wizards actually roll quite well...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Surly-Dir...GwGm0KE7M_eP8sEmmzo3eUCWumwI7hURoCmYgQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Well, still researching...I think I am leaning to the Surly Dirt Wizards..The more I thought about it the more I wanted a true 27.5+ x 3.0 tire over a 2.8...So I am thinking going both front and rear with the Wizards or perhaps a Wizard on the front and something like a Purgatory on the rear....One thing I found out is that for a plus sized tires the Wizards actually roll quite well...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Surly-Dir...GwGm0KE7M_eP8sEmmzo3eUCWumwI7hURoCmYgQAvD_BwE
They felt like anchors to me and didn't grip at all on loose over hard unless you were leaned 60 degrees or straight up. It totally transformed my Karate Monkey to get those pigs off of it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If you'd ever riden a PLUS tyre, then you'd know that just because there's a tyre that's great as a 2.3" does not mean that when they scale it to a 3.0", that it'll be the same great tyre. Conversely, sometimes there's crap tyres in the regular rize, that when taken up to PLUS turn into superb tyres, so yes, you giving advice without having the slightest clue is dumb and useless. Info even on the casing, which I agree on the control vs grid the one spesh tyre I gave a go on is accurate, but still, just like width, casings don't transfer up as they're scaled - original control casing in plus were more like the old S-works they were so thin to try and keep weight down, sealant constantly weeping out the sidewalls.

Calm down dude.

What makes a 2.35" tire "regular" anyway?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm looking at getting a couple of Rekons now...The site I am looking at has two different styles in stock....They are both 2.8....Do they make a 3" ?

anyways they have 3C Exo/TR, 120 Tpi or Dc/Exo/TR, 60 Tpi

What's the difference ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm looking at getting a couple of Rekons now...The site I am looking at has two different styles in stock....They are both 2.8....Do they make a 3" ?

anyways they have 3C Exo/TR, 120 Tpi or Dc/Exo/TR, 60 Tpi

What's the difference ?
I highly recommend a trip to the Maxxis website to decipher all their codes. If I recall correctly
TR= tubeless ready. Most tires are these days, not all!
60 tpi vs. 120 tpi = threads per inch on tire casing. More, like 120, is more flexible while less is stiffer and tougher and heavier
DC = dual compound tread. sticky on top, more firm at base of knobs
3C EXO = i think that is sidewall protection.

So many options! When they cost $60-80 each its worth knowing what you are buying

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I highly recommend a trip to the Maxxis website to decipher all their codes. If I recall correctly
TR= tubeless ready. Most tires are these days, not all!
60 tpi vs. 120 tpi = threads per inch on tire casing. More, like 120, is more flexible while less is stiffer and tougher and heavier
DC = dual compound tread. sticky on top, more firm at base of knobs
3C EXO = i think that is sidewall protection.

So many options! When they cost $60-80 each its worth knowing what you are buying
For all around riding would you think it's more desirable to have a lower or higher # Tpi ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.