Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After going full Canfiled, the experimental build is Frogger over here. :) it's going to be a fun little guy for when i feel like riding nice balloony tires.

The build:
Medium Tilt
Ohlins TTX coil at 210x50 with 450 lb spring
Ohlins RXF 36 29er 150mm coil
Hope m2 brakes
SRAM GX AXS shifter and derailleur
32t chainring 10-51 XT cassette and chain
Wheels: DT Swiss M542 laced to Hope tech 4 hubs
160mm Canfield cranks
Crampon pedals
Fox Transfer 150mm dropper post
Spank vibracore bars, 15mm rise
Oury grips
Rekon 2.8 tires (for now, might switch to nobby nic 2.8s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Subscribed.

I'm planning on experimenting with both 29" and B+ when my Tilt comes.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Honestly i love plus bikes. They have a special place in my heart. I also aggressive hardtails but I can't ride them anymore (ow). So this is my new one for those days i hit some smooth or deep (snow, sand, decomposed granite) or urban fun.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a Riot now that I run with Plus wheels every now and then… I like it. Definitely different than 29 - like a “different bike” kinda way.

Lower BB, super grippy, better in really loose sandy surface, etc.

I love how versatile the Riot is… love it so much that I bought a tilt, so I’ll be able to give my TILT plus impressions here in a few weeks.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Anne, what's the bb height?
Shop measured it but they said it was no problem and plenty of clearance. 12.7inch AFIAK. Do you want me to measure? I don't particularly care, but if helps you out i will.

I know with GG stuff i was obsessing about numbers. I'm done with that now, and just enjoying the rides :)

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Tilt BB drops from 343 down to 331 with 27.5 2.8 tires. That's 13.5" and 13".
Doood. It feels amazing. Like a little rocket :)

I had mine built up to replace a short travel Shred Dogg and a Pedalhead (my body doesn't like the hardtail abuse anymore), but this feels amazing.

·
Nurse Ben
11,587 Posts
Shop measured it but they said it was no problem and plenty of clearance. 12.7inch AFIAK. Do you want me to measure? I don't particularly care, but if helps you out i will.

I know with GG stuff i was obsessing about numbers. I'm done with that now, and just enjoying the rides :)
The numbers are more for others folks ... I prefer a much higher BB.

Glad to hear you're not obsessing/stressing ...

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers stripes. Looks like tons of room on the seat stays but the tire looks pretty close in the chain stay pic. Is that just the camera angle?
I think so. I took them quickly, and if I get up early enough tomorrow I'm gonna see if i can get a quick shakedown ride and get some feedback posted. I also need to put the softer spring in the fork first tonight :)

I'm not sure I'll be able to get better angled pics for a couple of days but I'll let you know. The Maxxis Rekon 2.8s i think are relatively true to size.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

First ride impressions:
  • Just like the Balance, it's fun and playful. I don't have any issues with clearance (160mm cranks), and the tires were fine just like as expected when going through puddles and deep sand.
  • Like the Balance, it's surprisingly playful AND stable. You rarely run into that, and I like that. This is the first set of bikes I've had that I don't feel the need to overfork to get them to feel right. Thank you Canfield!
  • I don't like the 150mm fork on the front. The front end feels way high and wander-y on climbs, but if you want it to feel like a slope bike, the 150/125mm travel combo is for you :) I want mine to feel more trail for longer saddle days, so I'm going to drop the fork to 140mm.
  • I'm also going to restroke the rear shock from 210x50 to 210x55, making the travel even from front to rear (140mm front/139mm back).
  • A 32t chainring on a plus bike is stupid. I wish someone would have warned me. Going to put on a 28t next. Today I hurt.
  • The 40mm stem felt a hair short. Going to put on a 50mm stem when I get the suspension readjusted.
  • I think I had too much PSI front and rear. 18 front, 19 rear. Going to try 16 front and 18 rear when I get the suspension back. For those who haven't played with plus tires, the PSI is always key.
  • I was surprised, even overinflated, how nice the Rekons handled so far. I'm hoping they will do well once I get the bike settled.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,565 Posts
I think changing the fork and shock travel is a good idea. Not that I need to approve, but it's exactly why I shortened my fork for my lithium build (I didn't feel like tearing the shock apart to remove the 5mm spacer until it's rebuild time).

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think changing the fork and shock travel is a good idea. Not that I need to approve, but it's exactly why I shortened my fork for my lithium build (I didn't feel like tearing the shock apart to remove the 5mm spacer until it's rebuild time).
I think the 170mm on the Balance is perfect, but the Tilt with the 150/125 is out of balance (haha). The current Canfields feel really solid with equal travel, and you don't have to do stupid geo tricks with them to get them to feel right. Matter of fact, it does the opposite IMO.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's some another picture of another plus Tilt, but wider rims than mine (these look like 40mm IW). Clearance looks about the same. Sorry I'll have to figure out a way to take better pics of this but it doesn't look like a problem at all.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I decided to leave it 150mm front and 125mm rear for now. I'll get more ride time on it after DH season ends. I put on a 50mm stem, a 30t chainring (as long as it doesn't kill me, I'll wait on the 28t), and I'm going to put on 155mm cranks. I also put on white decals on the fork so it looks clean now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
View attachment 1943246
I decided to leave it 150mm front and 125mm rear for now. I'll get more ride time on it after DH season ends. I put on a 50mm stem, a 30t chainring (as long as it doesn't kill me, I'll wait on the 28t), and I'm going to put on 155mm cranks. I also put on white decals on the fork so it looks clean now.
Dope

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.