Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched my hardtail from 29 to 27.5+ and have Nobby Nics on them now. I had the Rekon/Crossmark II on the 29er wheels and really liked them. I want something that rolls faster but still has good hookup. I'm a clydesdale. I'm debating over going with something like a DHF/Rekon or the Rekon/Ikon. What do you guys think?

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
I just switched my hardtail from 29 to 27.5+ and have Nobby Nics on them now. I had the Rekon/Crossmark II on the 29er wheels and really liked them. I want something that rolls faster but still has good hookup. I'm a clydesdale. I'm debating over going with something like a DHF/Rekon or the Rekon/Ikon. What do you guys think?
Here's my take: you have to be honest about what you ride, where you ride, and how you ride.

I have bought several different tires for my plus bike since getting it, started at 3.0's (stock), went to 2.8 Fast Traks (fast rolling, smaller knobs, A LOT lighter), and then got all hung up in the forums and articles and convinced myself I needed something "meatier". So I got a Butcher/Slaughter 2.8 combo, which put quite a bit of weight back onto the bike, but added bigger knobs and slowed it down quite a bit. I liked them for a few rides, but I am about to put the Fast Traks back on. Why, you ask?

You see, I had to remember that 99% of my riding is on the same trail network, approx 20 miles of hard pack single track per outing, not techy, just good old rocky-ish desert trails. I don't NEED huge cornering knobs, or big center knobs that "bite" into the trail, because they are so hard there is no biting to do. I ride at about 11mph average, don't have the need to corner aggressively, don't have a lot of tech climbs, but I do have a lot of gradual up & down that extra heavy slower rolling tires just take the fun out of.

So yeah, I am admitting that my riding is probably more tame than most of the people on here, but after 32 years of riding I have settled in on what I like and it's a good solo ride, at a quick-ish pace, with less complexity and rolling resistance to keep the smiles for the longer rides.

If any of that sounds like you, I would go with your second option, Rekon/Ikon. I'm sure someone will be along to tell you that you need a DHF front and rear, and maybe you do? If not save your legs and get something with less rolling resistance.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've run the DHF/DHR on my Bronson and it has been a great choice for the terrain I ride with that bike out here in Northern California. However, when I bought the Chameleon the Rekon/Crossmark II's that came on the 29er wheels made me realize I don't need something with all of that extra bite on it for a wheel that has a larger contact patch on the ground. Or at least that was my take. Ultimately the Nobby Nics were given to me, but right out the gate I could tell how much slower they rolled. Some of that is the bigger 2.75+ tire, but a lot of it is that massive amount of grip I don't need. So now that the Nic's are toast I'm ready to get back to a faster rolling situation. I was just wondering out here if it made sense to go rekon both front and back, or to swap that rear out to the ikon for even more rolling speed.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I run Rekon 2.8/2.6 on my 5010. You're not going to believe it, but I've got about 2K miles out of them, and the side knobs are just starting to flay away. Zero complaints and will almost certainly replace them with identical. I'm 170# kitted up, and ride pretty sympathetically to the machinery. Still, I do blast through a lot of chunky stuff and do some pretty decent (for an old man) jumps and drops. 15/18psi +/- 1psi on 35i carbon rims if you care. I may go to 2.6 Rekon F and 2.6 Ikon rear, since they're already hanging on the wall, but suspect I'll miss the braking and cornering of the 2.8 (2.67 actual) front tire.

I have DHF/DHR 2.8/2.8 on my Torrent HT. Ran 2.6 Ikon's for a while. Rolled a LOT faster, but I promptly holed a sidewall on a bodged landing (35i AL rims). From that, I gathered that the Ikon is not as sturdy as the DHR, and probably not as sturdy as the Rekon. That, and the combination of AL rims (maybe) and lack of compliance in the AL HT frame (definitely) made a beefier tire a better choice for where/how I ride.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ride a 2017 Fuel EX-8 27.5+. After trying different tire combo's (DHF front/DHRII rear, DHF front/Rekon rear, Rekon front/Rekon rear), all 2.8's, I am currently riding HRII front/Rekon rear on 40 rims. 56 years old, 160 lbs weighted, ST riding with some technical stuff, climbs, downs, etc..

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I run Rekons front and rear in 27.5x2.8. The Ikon might be a little faster, but those knobs are tiny. I doubt I'd enjoy riding with that modest a rear tire. Rekon in both ends is great for me, though.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
About 7 weeks ago i got a Rekon for rear, my rims are 40.
Just love it. I do not feel it is slow and i like to climb, i need grip for wet roots.
My front is Chronicle 3.0 it is doing it s job. If Rekon was available in 3.0 sure i would go 2 Rekons. I went with shorter arms, love them so i have the option to have 2x2.8

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OK, first up, just a straight up fact, the Nobby Nics roll like $hite compared to nearly anything else, I got the first ones (650Bx2.8") that came out and when I replaced them with Rekons, could no believe how much faster they rolled with the same or maybe more grip in the dry, in the wet, there wasn't even a contest between them. I just got the new version of the Nics in 29x2.6" and again, they roll like $hite, but they were the cheapest decent option 29x2.6" option I could find to try out that width and see how it was - the good news, they are bang on their listed size at actual riding pressures.

As to what combo to try, if on your 29er you like the Rekon/Crossmark combo, then the Rekon/Ikon combo should give you about the same characteristics. Personally though, I find the Rekons roll so well that they're not detrimental in that way and so I'd probably get 2 Rekons and give that a go, if you find it still rolls a bit slow, then get an Ikon to try on the back, conversely, if you find the front end grip isn't quite up to snuff, then order a DHF or DHR2 for the front.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
OK, first up, just a straight up fact, the Nobby Nics roll like $hite compared to nearly anything else, I got the first ones that came out and when I replaced them with Rekons, could no believe how much faster they rolled with the same or maybe more grip in the dry, in the wet, there wasn't even a contest between them. I just got the new version of the Nics in 29x2.6" and again, they roll like $hite, but they were the cheapest decent option 29x2.6" option I could find to try out that width and see how it was - the good news, they are bang on their listed size at actual riding pressures.

As to what combo to try, if on your 29er you like the Rekon/Crossmark combo, then the Rekon/Ikon combo should give you about the same characteristics. Personally though, I find the Rekons roll so well that they're not detrimental in that way and so I'd probably get 2 Rekons and give that a go, if you find it still rolls a bit slow, then get an Ikon to try on the back, conversely, if you find the front end grip isn't quite up to snuff, then order a DHF or DHR2 for the front.
Did you just blast me a few days ago for commenting on a tire that wasn't exactly related to the OP's question.
It's okay for you but not okay for me to give a generalization of an opinion on a topic?

·
Cycologist
10,333 Posts
I'm going with the Rekon/Ikon 2.8s combo but I haven't installed the Rekon yet. The Ikon was breaking loose a bit often on my ride Thursday but that trail has a lot more kitty litter type rocks than most of the trails I ride.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys have talked me into the double Rekon. My hesitation was the Ikon would break loose and from a review the sidewalls were not great. Both of those were backed up in here. As I originally posted the DHF was a thought but after the experience on the 29er wheels I really felt like it is too much tire. My rims are 45 internal and there is a lot of contact area. After reading everything here and the fact that Santa Cruz sells the bike with 2 Rekons when fitted with 27.5+ wheels, I’m definitely going that route. Thanks for all of your thoughts and experience.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hum, hope you don't ride very rocky terrain with lots of sharp rocks, because if you do, I'd be a bit hesitant running the Rekons on such a wide rim. I run mine on i35 and think it's about a perfect compromise between wide enough for support, but not too wide to expose the sidewalls too much. i40 would probably give a bit more support, but then I fear the sidewalls would be getting alot of contact with our rocks. FYI, despite what some others have experienced, my Rekons have lasted me well in our very sharp coral infested trails and these are the original ones, think they beefed up the casing a tiny bit on the newer ones and you can also now get EXO+ if you want a bit more security.

You guys have talked me into the double Rekon. My hesitation was the Ikon would break loose and from a review the sidewalls were not great. Both of those were backed up in here. As I originally posted the DHF was a thought but after the experience on the 29er wheels I really felt like it is too much tire. My rims are 45 internal and there is a lot of contact area. After reading everything here and the fact that Santa Cruz sells the bike with 2 Rekons when fitted with 27.5+ wheels, I'm definitely going that route. Thanks for all of your thoughts and experience.
Nope, it's not because I actually rode the tyre he had and is asking about, forgot to mention it was 650B for those like you who would need that, edited my post just so it's clear for you. FYI, comparing a 2.6 to a 2.8" is a very valid comparo, comparing a 2.3" to a 2.8" is not.

Did you just blast me a few days ago for commenting on a tire that wasn't exactly related to the OP's question.
It's okay for you but not okay for me to give a generalization of an opinion on a topic?

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
You guys have talked me into the double Rekon. My hesitation was the Ikon would break loose and from a review the sidewalls were not great. Both of those were backed up in here. As I originally posted the DHF was a thought but after the experience on the 29er wheels I really felt like it is too much tire. My rims are 45 internal and there is a lot of contact area. After reading everything here and the fact that Santa Cruz sells the bike with 2 Rekons when fitted with 27.5+ wheels, I'm definitely going that route. Thanks for all of your thoughts and experience.
B1ker ripping around on a hardtail! ? When we gonna see some videos??

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I sure hope the new users of Rekon will be nice and offer us detailed reports.
Like i have a Rekon, fr? rear?
what model?
what size?
rim width?
also wich way is it mounted?
I am pretty sure when my front time is done i will be on 2 Rekon 2.8

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've got one ride on my IKON rear paired with the 6 month old Rekon front.
I pinch flatted the rear and replaced it with Ikon (that's what was in stock).

On the one ride, I was riding rocky climbs with a bit of tech mixed into the climb and it seemed okay. I didn't spin the tire at all, even out of the saddle over the techy bits.

The Ikon was lighter, but both the Rekon and Ikon are labeled as EXO.

I try not to take the Chameleon on the most sharp/big rocks but it happens. The low PSI can't handle the rocky stuff too well at speeds. If I do ride the rocky trails I dial back the speed so I can choose better lines or hit the obstacles less abruptly.

I didn't ride very aggressively on that first ride but the trail conditions are slippery from being overly dry and dusty. I wasn't able to skid (for various reasons) but aggressive braking a few times kept rear traction.

Probably okay to run it if you wanted to. I'd probably go with the Rekon/Rekon if you can though, but to save a tad of weight (if 120grams is a big deal to you) the Ikon will track and ride just fine on dry hard pack.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I've got one ride on my IKON rear paired with the 6 month old Rekon front.
I pinch flatted the rear and replaced it with Ikon (that's what was in stock).

On the one ride, I was riding rocky climbs with a bit of tech mixed into the climb and it seemed okay. I didn't spin the tire at all, even out of the saddle over the techy bits.

The Ikon was lighter, but both the Rekon and Ikon are labeled as EXO.

I try not to take the Chameleon on the most sharp/big rocks but it happens. The low PSI can't handle the rocky stuff too well at speeds. If I do ride the rocky trails I dial back the speed so I can choose better lines or hit the obstacles less abruptly.

I didn't ride very aggressively on that first ride but the trail conditions are slippery from being overly dry and dusty. I wasn't able to skid (for various reasons) but aggressive braking a few times kept rear traction.

Probably okay to run it if you wanted to. I'd probably go with the Rekon/Rekon if you can though, but to save a tad of weight (if 120grams is a big deal to you) the Ikon will track and ride just fine on dry hard pack.
After a snowy winter and rainy spring we had a late opening of trails and about 1 week ago they finaly got dry around Montreal, Quebec. That is why i love the Rekon it makes the difference to ride more days in my area. Thanks for the detailed report. Small knobs do work with proper design and compound. Wide rims help also.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Oh forgot....

I'm on the stock WTB 40mm rims that SC equipped the plus bike with.
Additionally, I installed the Vittoria Air-Liner at time of Ikon Install. Now I need to work out tire pressure again. Ugh.

Width across casing:
Rekon=2.795
Ikon=2.775

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maxxis Rekon 27.5" 2.8"

I run Rekons front and rear in 27.5x2.8. The Ikon might be a little faster, but those knobs are tiny. I doubt I'd enjoy riding with that modest a rear tire. Rekon in both ends is great for me, though.
I purchased a 2017 Cannondale Bad Habit Carbon 1 last summer with the stock 3" tires. Pulled them off and sold, went tubeless with the 2.8" Rekon f/r (weigh 780grams per tire) and have never looked back. Upstate NY single track never felt so good. Great Combo!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I am beginning to dislike the IKON more and more as I ride it more often.

Granted the conditions are rock hard dry with a sandy topping...but it seems traction should be better for the conditions.

I am a self-proclaimed crappy tire reviewer. But I usually mention to people "I don't know if I can review a tire well but I'm sure I'd know if I didn't like the tire".

Well that's where I am. I can't really compare. I have the IKON 2.8+, sharp edges and properly inflated, etc. Next bike is 2.35 Purgatory with knobs that are no taller than the IKON -tire is worn out pretty bad.
I think the Purgatory is hooking up better.

It is difficult to get the IKON to grip on the hard tail while climbing. Hadn't noticed it the same with a Rekon. Down a dry hill, with shitty SRAM brakes, I can barely stop. I'm skidding like mad. With the Rekon, I could mash the (weak) brakes and not get a hint of skid when there was a hint of traction.
The side knobs don't feel like they do much either. I did have a wipeout a couple weeks ago so I'm a bit tentative right now, but it feels like it wants to wash if I hint to lean it.

Again, the conditions are super super dry but I feel like should be able to ask more of the tire.

With that said, the Rekon feels a bit more slippy than it was a few weeks ago so maybe it is in fact the ground conditions.

As of right now though, my opinion of the tire is quickly declining.

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
Took me forever to wear down my Rekon 27.5x2.8's, ran a Speed on the rear and Terra out front.
Never felt the need for more tire, never felt the need for lighter or faster rolling tires.
I replaced them with exactly the same tires..

My trails, loose, sandy and some deep, leaves, wet and dry, gravel, lime rocks, shale, roots,
165 pounds of me,
15 pounds of ride gear,
28 pound hard tail,
15 psi rear and 14 front for dry days,
dropped a pound at both ends on wet days,
Tubeless of course..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.