Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I haven't been here in a LONG time. Been riding road a lot and got into road racing, which I have concentrated on for the past five years. Because of that MTBing took a back seat. At 43, I've decided to not road race this year as the commitment was somewhat overwhelming. Now that I am not road racing, I have decided to get back into the dirt more. Things have really changed! I have an older Giant Anthem XC race bike with 26 inch wheels. The bike has been great but has always been a little twitchy. I tried a 29'er at Sea Otter a couple of years ago and hated it. I'm, 5'4 and 120lbs. Anyway... I'm liking the 27.5 choice for my size. I've done a ton of research and am really steering toward either the Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 or Anthem Advanced 27.5. There may be another option, which I'd like to get some feedback on...

The Juliana Furtado Carbon 27.5... I may have a good opportunity to get my hands on one for a good price. According to the website, the weight of the bike seems high at almost 28 lbs. Both Giants are significantly lower in weight than this, which appeals to me. Not that I am a total weight weenie but I am a climber and I want a bike that climbs well. We are going to see if maybe we can just get the frame and do a custom build, which might be sweet but not sure if that can happen. Some input on this bike would be helpful from those that have ridden it.

Just so you know, I am not an overly aggressive rider. I do not do anything that is overly technical. No drops, jumps, crazy stuff. Here in So Cal we have a lot of fireroads and some hardpack singletrack. I am really good at climbing and not so good at descending. I'd really prefer a bike that climbs well and inspires confidence on descents. We tend to have a lot of loose /rocky descents here.

Any input is appreciated!

Leslie

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried a couple of new Giant 27.5" bikes this Fall at a demo day and they were a LOT of fun. I rode the Anthem, which for a XC bike was pretty smooth and it cornered very well. I also rode the Trance, which is more of a trail/enduro bike, which is what I was looking for. It rode very well and cornered on a dime! I rode a medium frame (I am 5'9") and it fit fairly well. However, for the componentry that I was looking for, the Trance (Advanced with XX1) was overpriced, IMO and was lacking the fork and shock combo that I wanted.

Overall, it was a great bike and the geometry of the frame was pretty spot on. Giant has invested a lot in the 27.5" bikes and have a great selection to choose from.

As for me, I ended up going with a Yeti SB-75 in a size small. I received it (after 3 months!) last month, but have only been able to ride it twice (I live on the East Coast and it is either 2 degrees with 2 feet of snow or a sloppy muddy mess). So far I love it and it has the componentry on it that I wanted (with a few small adjustments such as the saddle and grips and eventually the wheels). It is a 5" travel bike, but it climbs very well and really inspires confidence on descents (I had a major spinal injury a few years ago on a downhill run and my confidence has been horrible ever since). I highly recommend it (so far).

I have not had any experience with the Juliana, so hopefully someone else has and can comment on that one.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
Cool, I was looking at both the Yeti sb-75 and the juliana furtado and want to learn more. I don't think you can customize the Juliana easily though, I asked the LBS because researchng online the carbon one seemed too expensive and the alum one seemed not quite nice enough parts.

They recommended a custom Santa Cruz 5010, which is same geometry, suspension, etc. as the Furtado, but without the women-specific bars (smaller diameter fr smaller hands), saddle, and name. Another suggestion they had was that for a given dollar amount, I would get more bang for the buck with the aluminum (5010) plus upgraded wheels, rather than spending the same money for the carbon frame and lesser wheels. This would make it climb lighter for its weight, if you know what I mean. If you can get both, all the better.

I hope to try both when it warms up, a foot of snow today and maybe 2 by tomorrow.

Please share what you know or decide, women of MTBR.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK! I got to test ride a Juliana Furtado Primeiro yesterday. I'm used to a XC bike so this ride was different but WOW! lots of fun. I was very impressed. I was really surprised at how well this bike climbed as this is my forte and I was unsure about pulling a 28lb bike up the hills. I LOVED the 27.5 wheels. The bike was like point and go. I am not a great descender and while I didn't take the bike on any crazy descents, I can tell the bike handles VERY well when going down - WAY better than my Anthem 26. I agree that the Juliana is totally overpriced but I have a great offer on the table where I should be able to get one for a very awesome price, perhaps even cheaper than either the Giant or Trance. I may even be able to swap out some stuff to customize it a bit more to make it a little more on the XC side and lighter. I am totally sold on the 27.5 wheels. I am going to try to go and look and some Giants tomorrow so I'll let you know.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just throwing out another idea: Scott has pretty much everything in 27.5 this year too. I just got a 2013 29" Spark (lighter 100m travel) and my husband got the 2014 27.5 Genius (longer travel). When I was shopping I looked at the Giants, but the Scotts had better components for the prices. Both bikes have locking 3-phase shocks which are awesome for the climbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.