Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this gets old, but please hear me out. I'm looking to buy my first bike from a shop that a few people have recommended. Before I buy anything I'm going to be fitted for it and I'd like to test it out first. Here's what I'm looking for.

Hardtail, 27.5 wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, preferably lock out capabilities for the front forks.
Cost between $500 - $1300

The only accessories I'm going to add is a water bottle, bottle cage, and pedals.

Paul, an avid mountain biker I met a work, told me about 3 bikes he owns. One stood out to me because of the price point and how highly he talked about it. A giant talon with 29 wheels.

I've already looked at the Giant Talon 27.5 4 I like what I see. But Just because I've seen it on a computer doesn't mean it will be at the store I go to. I'm keeping my options open.

I was hoping some one could help me out with a few suggestions. In the end the one that fits and rides the best for me is the one to buy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,128 Posts
Scott offers the Scale and Aspect in 700 series for hard tails. Generally better geo than Giant. 427 vs 440 chainstay.
You can also get close with a used 26 hard tail with a much better level of components for your money. Look on Pinkbike.
Bikes with a Suntour 'X' series fork are bike path oriented(sport not mt) because of the fork.
Scale 760 is the lowest priced with a usable fork.
Jamis and Kona are others.
When you test ride go in and out of ditches and on the grass for a little more info.
I see you are in NW ON, so it may be a trek to test ride.

I'd look at this Marin Bobcat Trail 29 in your size on ebay.
Shipping from Minnesota is $154. 415 miles for pickup.
2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 17" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Just curious, why are you sold on 27.5" wheels.
Not saying one wheel size is better than the other but there has been a lot of Kool-Aid being served lately on the 27.5 and to be a noob set on the newest wheel size but not a bike, it seems as if you may have drank it.

If you are looking for a budget bike the best route right now is to go with 26" or 29" wheels. If you shop around you can find some really slamming deals on new old stock too.

Here are some examples of 2012/13 pricing available online right now.
Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

·
Registered
467 Posts
I wouldn't say checking out 27.5 is equal to "drinking the koolaide" in my mindset. I had a 29'er and a nice one at that, even as nice as it was it pales in performance to my Giant Anthem Advance 1. The AA1 climbs better, spins up easier and all around performs better than the Spec Epic Comp I had.

I would defiantly see about some demo rides on the trail and go from there. The Giant bikes will not let you down, I love mine. Enough that I am looking at buying the XTC Advance 1 next year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious, why are you sold on 27.5" wheels.
Not saying one wheel size is better than the other but there has been a lot of Kool-Aid being served lately on the 27.5 and to be a noob set on the newest wheel size but not a bike, it seems as if you may have drank it.

If you are looking for a budget bike the best route right now is to go with 26" or 29" wheels. If you shop around you can find some really slamming deals on new old stock too.

Here are some examples of 2012/13 pricing available online right now.
Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
No kool-aid was consumed. Nor am I necessarily sold on the 27.5. I realize 26" is the more common and in expensive of the three tires. A friend, as well as many in the online community, talk highly about the 29" wheels for trail riding. Smoother ride then the 26", better grip because more surface area. But 29er bike will be a larger and heavier frame. I figured the 27.5 would be a half way mark. Not necessarily the best of both worlds. I realize it will most likely have it's own advantages and disadvantages. But my interest is peaked so I'm looking at my options.

If I find an old stock bike 26 or 29 that fits me and I get the best bike for my bike I'll definitely jump on it.

hope I answered your question. Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scott offers the Scale and Aspect in 700 series for hard tails. Generally better geo than Giant. 427 vs 440 chainstay.
You can also get close with a used 26 hard tail with a much better level of components for your money. Look on Pinkbike.
Bikes with a Suntour 'X' series fork are bike path oriented(sport not mt) because of the fork.
Scale 760 is the lowest priced with a usable fork.
Jamis and Kona are others.
When you test ride go in and out of ditches and on the grass for a little more info.
I see you are in NW ON, so it may be a trek to test ride.

I'd look at this Marin Bobcat Trail 29 in your size on ebay.
Shipping from Minnesota is $154. 415 miles for pickup.
2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 17" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
I know the chain stay is part of the frame, but whats the advantage of a 427 vs 440. Shorter chain stay easier to manual??? I'm new to this.

suntour x = bike path, rock shock XC 30 = trail riding?

The giant talon 27.5 2 has a rockshock.

·
Registered
973 Posts
does anybody else feel this shorter chain stay length ditty is like WAY over emphasized...I would just hope that quality XC bikes are not being overlooked due to a somewhat ambiguous frame dimension that the vast majority of riders could not quantify...and yes, that certainly could include me :eek:ut:

Attachments

·
Registered
15,128 Posts
whats the advantage of a 427 vs 440. Shorter chain stay easier to manual??? I'm new to this.

suntour x = bike path, rock shock XC 30 = trail riding?
The giant talon 27.5 2 has a rockshock.
Chain stay length is part of the geo that helps determine how quick you can turn the bike. Head tube angle and fork offset also contribute. But they also contribute to stability at speed going downhill.

The RockShox XC 30 coil spring is at the bottom of usable trail riding forks. The Raidon air fork on the Marin is another step up.
The fork is the most important performance component for trail riding.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree with the fork comment, one of the single most best upgrades other than wheels you can do on a bike that comes with a basic fork. I have rode a spring fork and now have ridden on 3 air forks and will never look back, but then again I am spoiled since the Anthem Advance 1 comes with the Fox Float CTD fork.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I wouldn't say checking out 27.5 is equal to "drinking the koolaide" in my mindset. I had a 29'er and a nice one at that, even as nice as it was it pales in performance to my Giant Anthem Advance 1. The AA1 climbs better, spins up easier and all around performs better than the Spec Epic Comp I had.

I would defiantly see about some demo rides on the trail and go from there. The Giant bikes will not let you down, I love mine. Enough that I am looking at buying the XTC Advance 1 next year.
Where did I say "checking out the 27.5" is drinking the Kool-Aid?

In fact, I even stated that I wasn't saying one wheel size was better than the other.
However from his original post the OP seems to be set on a wheel size without every really trying them all out because if he had, he would probably have come here with a few choices.

No kool-aid was consumed. Nor am I necessarily sold on the 27.5. I realize 26" is the more common and in expensive of the three tires. A friend, as well as many in the online community, talk highly about the 29" wheels for trail riding. Smoother ride then the 26", better grip because more surface area. But 29er bike will be a larger and heavier frame. I figured the 27.5 would be a half way mark. Not necessarily the best of both worlds. I realize it will most likely have it's own advantages and disadvantages. But my interest is peaked so I'm looking at my options.

If I find an old stock bike 26 or 29 that fits me and I get the best bike for my bike I'll definitely jump on it.

hope I answered your question. Thank you for the link.
Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that there is another new wheel option. Choices are great and each wheel size suits somebody better. Maybe the 650b is the best size for you. However being on a budget, it isn't where the deals are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with the fork comment, one of the single most best upgrades other than wheels you can do on a bike that comes with a basic fork. I have rode a spring fork and now have ridden on 3 air forks and will never look back, but then again I am spoiled since the Anthem Advance 1 comes with the Fox Float CTD fork.
So what you're saying is air suspension forks are where it's at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that there is another new wheel option. Choices are great and each wheel size suits somebody better. Maybe the 650b is the best size for you. However being on a budget, it isn't where the deals are.
Yeah I have to agree with you that if I'm going for the best deal that I shouldn't limit myself to 27.5. Like I said it's not the wheel siZe that will determine whether I purchase a bike but the over all fit in finish. I was hoping to see what people think of and would suggest for a 27.5. After reading your first post I thought I probably should have cast the wider net and asked the question of the 27.5 in the thread rather then the title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
happykal, what did you end up buying? (if anything).

speaking of kool aide drinking, I drank the 29er kool aid and dislike it. Roll over don't mean jack if you can't carry that momentum through the tight corners! those 29er's also have much energy in those wheels. So for a budget entry level bike It plays havoc on your entry level Forks.

based on money factors I'm looking at Raleigh Tokul3 $1,099
Raleigh Bicycles - Tokul 3

I was looking at Talon 27.5 based on my experience of test riding XTC. Yet I'm drawn to the trail Geo headtube angles. which include Tokul's, Jamis Dragon, Kona Explosif, Santa Cruz highball 27.5. (possibly more) Yet it seams that Raleigh is the only budget minded 27.5 with slack head tube.
Jamis is $1,300, explosif $2,000 bottom XTC $2,100, Santa Cruz... lol $pipedream

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.