Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Meatpuppet
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I can buy into the legitamacy of the 29r
flipping through the June moutain bike mag, page 34 for those following along.
Vicious cycles has ccome out with a 27.5 inch wheeled bike, stating that "several tire companies are planning to offer off-road rubber later this summer".
Now as I understand it, theres not a huge selection of 29 in tires
Seems like marketing is at a new level
thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
27.5's = 650B, been on road bikes for a long time now... That said, in between wheel size that offers more contact patch then a 26", but yet "almost" the same acceleration as a 26" wheel. I for one would be willing to give it a go. Then again if its got 2 wheels and pedals I'll ride it.
I've read a couple of reviews in Dirt Rag/ MBA/etc... interesting concept, but yeah... lack of tire selection is gonna suck

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
27.5"? You've gotta be kidding me! How many of you are going to make the switch just like you did to 29'ers? :confused:

While we're at it, how about a 1 3/16" headset? You know to fit the nitch of riders who want something bigger than 1 1/8" but don't wanna go to 1.5" headtubes.

Oh and what about 11mm axles with 143.68mm hub spacing. That would be sweet.

I'll stick with my tried and true 26" wheels and leave the marketing gimmicks to someone else.

Have fun on the new 27.5r forum! :D

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
im with eabos. while im not a 'tried and true' mtn biker, i do consider myself a 'rider', and IMO everyone with a 29'r Rigid SingleSpeed is just looking for abuse (i thought the point was to make things easier).

Since most 26" bikes have dual suspension (or hard tail)
And most 29" bikes turn out to be rigid (for whatever reason)
will the 27.5" bike turn out to be a soft tail / hard fork???
i know that sounds stupid, but after all, its the only combination left...

G

·
eabos said:
While we're at it, how about a 1 3/16" headset? You know to fit the nitch of riders who want something bigger than 1 1/8" but don't wanna go to 1.5" headtubes.
Have you not seen the new Trek's with the 1.5 bottom and 1 1/8th top headset?:skep:

650B is just dumb, with fat enough tires, I can be running 27.5's too, on 26" rims since most people are trying to fit 27.5's into 26" frames, they end up running low profile tires anyways...:rolleyes:

I say screw any wheel that starts with a "2" its time to move on into the "3's"

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
"im with eabos. while im not a 'tried and true' mtn biker, i do consider myself a 'rider', and IMO everyone with a29'r reference deleted Rigid SingleSpeed In the valley (or pretty much anywhere in Arizonais just looking for abuse"

... There fixed that statement for ya' :)

and for everything else... of course its all market hype. They have to do something to make everyone "want" to go out and spend $$ for the "Next Big Thing" <NBT for short>, thats what market types/bean counters are for... that what they do in life. I'm happy riding my 26" Singlespeed w/ a NON RIGID fork, in fact i love it... (although I do want to try a 29'r w/ a Lefty fork ) :) I don't think we will be seeing 27.5/650B bikes outside of Boutique makers anytime soon.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Have you not seen the new Trek's with the 1.5 bottom and 1 1/8th top headset?:skep:

650B is just dumb, with fat enough tires, I can be running 27.5's too, on 26" rims since most people are trying to fit 27.5's into 26" frames, they end up running low profile tires anyways...:rolleyes:

I say screw any wheel that starts with a "2" its time to move on into the "3's"
Wow 666, that is the most ridiculous bike I have ever seen! Anyone notice how the big wheeled bike "revolution" came around at about the same time as the 20", 22", 24" and getting bigger car wheel fad?

Anyone besides this guy put spinners on there bike yet?

Tire Wheel Cap Automotive tire Rim

G

·
eabos said:
Wow 666, that is the most ridiculous bike I have ever seen! Anyone notice how the big wheeled bike "revolution" came around at about the same time as the 20", 22", 24" and getting bigger car wheel fad?

Anyone besides this guy put spinners on there bike yet?

View attachment 370062
I've always thought 29er's to be the DONK's of the bike world...

Well, until I saw that 36er...

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
dirtrodr said:
Vicious cycles has ccome out with a 27.5 inch wheeled bike, stating that "several tire companies are planning to offer off-road rubber later this summer".
thoughts?
OMG, when will it stop? Next thing you know, they will be coming out with "700ccers."

I'm trading my 29er in for a friggin Huffy, and getting back to when things were easier.

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
eabos said:
27.5"? You've gotta be kidding me! How many of you are going to make the switch just like you did to 29'ers? :confused:

Oh and what about 11mm axles with 143.68mm hub spacing. That would be sweet.

I'll stick with my tried and true 26" wheels and leave the marketing gimmicks to someone else.

Have fun on the new 27.5r forum! :D
Fox is coming out with a 15mm thru axle for those not yet ready to make the jump to a 20mm in 2009. Yee haw. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
dirtrodr said:
thoughts?
Yeah...what about the car tire? Horses for courses. Don't like the size? Don't use 'em.

As for bikes, there are already 20", 24", 27 1/4", 700c, etc. 650b has been around for about 50 years. It's not like it's new.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
empty_set said:
Yeah...what about the car tire? Horses for courses. Don't like the size? Don't use 'em.

As for bikes, there are already 20", 24", 27 1/4", 700c, etc. 650b has been around for about 50 years. It's not like it's new.
you forgot
12"
16"
18"
22"
26 1 3/8
26 s6
etc.

·
Rhino
567 Posts
I don't understand why people complain about new products (650B). It's not like they are getting rid of 26ers. If you don't like a product don't buy it and the consumer demand will dictate the future. What's with all the hate?

That being said... I'd like to try a 650B on the rear (if I can find a free demo). I'm also one of those wack jobs that runs full rigid 69er SS.

·
Meatpuppet
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
urbanseeds said:
I don't understand why people complain about new products (650B). It's not like they are getting rid of 26ers. If you don't like a product don't buy it and the consumer demand will dictate the future. What's with all the hate?

That being said... I'd like to try a 650B on the rear (if I can find a free demo). I'm also one of those wack jobs that runs full rigid 69er SS.
Whos "Hatin"?

Simply stating the facts, and my opinion that its all marketing.

Buy and ride what you want, I'll still talk about it.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
It's not hate, its just an observation that every time I open a magazine I'm reading some article about how company X has solved the mystery of life and has reinvented the wheel (no pun intended) in such a way that will bring zen to the my world of riding. Meanwhile, these great "innovations" involve moving a shockmount 1/2" forward, making a part 5 grams lighter, or making a wheel 1.5 inches larger. I love that the vehicles of our sport keep progressing but the hype behind it reminds me of teenage girls trying to keep up with the newest most popular boy band.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
urbanseeds said:

I can see where you are coming from, but I have a slightly different opinion, and maybe I am just thinking all jacked up. It should be known that I own a 26er, and a 29er. I don't think that the 650B standard is really beneficial in the whole big picture. I am going to have a hard time believing that 1.5" in wheel diameter will have enough of an impact to really provide a substantial improvement over a 26er. A 29er on the other hand has a large variation which does provide and advantage in areas, as well as equal disadvantages.

But here is what i think ends up happening for the consumer.
1. This creates far more confusion about which bike to buy. Maybe not for those of us who are immersed in the industry, but new comers. This might be so confusing, they just leave the shop. Who wants to spend a large amount of money without being sure what they want?
2. Product development and quality - I think this is huge. First, manufactures will now have to develop products for 3 tiers of bikes. Lets take a look at WTB for example. They will have to build a new model tire that will work on all 3 wheel sizes. So either they take the time and R&D a product for each size which equates to a higher price to you and me, or they build 1 design and produce it for all 3 sizes. Now each size will have a compromise as no design will work perfectly on all 3 sizes. I see forks the same way. And they can't just throw new lowers on there. There is a bunch of development that is required. Sure currently 650B have been using 26er forks, but if it takes off, manufactures will have to build specifically to the wheel size as to avoid any liability.
3. At what point will it end? Will we have a 26.5?, an 27er? I guess I am the type of person that thinks there needs to be a significant change for it to be worth it. I am glad that stems come in 10mm increments, enough to make a noticable change. I can't say I have ever wished I could get that 83mm Thomson stem.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I love my HT 29er and my 7" 26er. They are both simple and do just what I want them to do. I think Frame design, wheel size and suspension design need to take a back seat and MTB componetry needs to be focused on.

rear der's: cables fray, break, stretch, entire mechanisms get torn off routeinly.this sounds silly, but wouldn't it be awesome if rear der's were more protected or radio controlled? it wouldn't be hard to do and probably would weigh much more.

rear hubs: what's the big delay on manufacturing strong lightweight internal gear rear hubs?

Tubes and Tires: I can't beleive people have been mountain biking so long and the Stan's tubless kit is the best innovation that people have to work with it's a totally messy pain in the ass. Where are all the rubber engineers?

Perhaps we'll have to wait until the year 2000 for these innovations.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
chongoman said:
or maybe we all need to toughen up and ride what we got like Mary on the OR forum does. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=423859
make sure to scroll down to see all the photos. I love the ones of Mary getting rad on her Raleigh Hybrid bike.
Mary rocks! :thumbsup: Inspirational to see people of that age still riding around, having fun, and challenging themselves. Many people seem give up their hobbies the moment they feel old. Mary is still out there riding down stairs though, awesome!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.