Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years of steel-only fat bike, I’m looking to get a lighter bike.

I don’t need floatation so ~4” tires would be used. But I’d like 27.5 wheels for better roll over, as I’d be riding through some chunky terrain on occasion.

I’ve looked at a few but the bike I keep coming back to is a Salsa Beargrease XO1. I like the geo and threaded BB.

Any others I should look at? Of course, bike shops can’t tell me when they’ll be available…

· Rippin da fAt
11,977 Posts
After many years of steel-only fat bike, I'm looking to get a lighter bike.

I don't need floatation so ~4" tires would be used. But I'd like 27.5 wheels for better roll over, as I'd be riding through some chunky terrain on occasion.

I've looked at a few but the bike I keep coming back to is a Salsa Beargrease XO1. I like the geo and threaded BB.

Any others I should look at? Of course, bike shops can't tell me when they'll be available…
RSD Sergeant. Versatile design with threaded BB and sliders. Build it as you see fit. Reasonably priced and 83mm BB for a little less Q factor. Clears VH 27.5 early version which were purdy derned fat. ~4" is a non issue and 29+ is easily switched to for a changeup.
My Sergeant is built up with 70mm rims for proper fatness without the circa 1995, stupid narrow rim BS.

· Registered
8,287 Posts
I've got the Beargrease, but the NX version, since it was available. Some Mikesee carbon wheels, a ti post and bars, an X01 cassette, and it is a pretty lightweight rocketship. No complaints here. But....it's my first fattie, so TIFWIW!

· Registered
155 Posts
I've got the Beargrease, but the NX version, since it was available. Some Mikesee carbon wheels, a ti post and bars, an X01 cassette, and it is a pretty lightweight rocketship. No complaints here. But....it's my first fattie, so TIFWIW!
I loved the BG I had, the NX components not so much. I felt NX was just kind of klunky and a bit imprecise. Sram X0 and Shimano XT are both far superior, even though each is really just one step up from NX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.