Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
The one that I was using daily would get stuck in the down position (this started occurring this past winter), and I've had to replace the cable twice as it began shredding near the thumb lever.

I took it apart and re-greased the internals, and it's as good as new. It's a pretty good dropper for the $80 I got it for two years ago.

It can be had for $120 now, but I feel the Tmars Gravity dropper is a better purchase for around $80. It takes some getting used to, but the people I know who have that one love it.

If you're not limited to 27.2, the KS E-Ten dropper is pretty good as well as DNM if you're looking for something that won't break your wallet.

This is like the 3rd bike I've moved the dropper to. I ride it to work daily and drop it when going down stairs, up stairs, the few jumps on the dirt path on my way home.

It's too bad they aren't $80 anymore.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would check the reviews for the 27.2 specifically, sounds like it may not have user adjustable air pressure and the return speed may be like the Hilo, which I have and I think sucks. Bad. I have friends with a LEV in the larger diameters and they rock, I was excited to see the 27.2 become available, but some research last night led me to reconsider for the time being.

As much as I hate the look of the Gravity Dropper, it really seems to be the only consistently positive 27.2 option. Otherwise I would have to buy a new frame to use a better dropper seat post, and that doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
this is also my opinion

the 27.2 specifically does not have nearly as many happy customers as 30.9 and 31.6. i have used the 31.6 for over a year and it's great. i would like a 27.2 for my carbon frame but have held off for just this reason

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hey all, I've seen a need for quality 27.2 dropper posts so I started selling my own. $259 for 80mm travel, cable, lever and free shipping. Check them out: Rainier Dropper Post, 80mm travel, 27.2mm diameter ? PNW Components
this has me interested. were you able to source one of the better taiwan factories to make these? rebuildable? if this is indeed a quality knock off design and you're able to buy direct and sell something comparable to the lev for that price simply by eliminating the middle men this is a good buy. i just would like to know more about this design and serviceability. also cable routing is not pictured nor is the remote

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey there, sorry for the delay I didn't see your reply right away.

Yes, we are using one of the top manufacturers in Taiwan and this is not a knock off. The internals use a sealed alloy cartridge so in the off chance something happens, it's an incredibly simple rebuild. No open bath to deal with or small parts falling out. Myself and the team have decades of experience in the bike industry so we have strong connections which has allowed us to bring great stuff to market and we sell direct so we've simply eliminated the middleman.

And thanks for the feedback about the photos not showing the cable or remote. I'll get those in ASAP. Just as an FYI, if you visit the product page you'll see additional photos showing the lever and the post uses an external cable so service and swapping of cables is super easy. No fishing cables through tubes in the frame. I hope you give us a chance, I think you'll be very pleased! Rainier Dropper Post, 80mm travel, 27.2mm diameter ? PNW Components

this has me interested. were you able to source one of the better taiwan factories to make these? rebuildable? if this is indeed a quality knock off design and you're able to buy direct and sell something comparable to the lev for that price simply by eliminating the middle men this is a good buy. i just would like to know more about this design and serviceability. also cable routing is not pictured nor is the remote

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Skipping past that last post...how are the cheaper KS droppers?
My Trek Cobia needs a dropper and I'm not paying over $300 for what will eventually be my backup bike.
Does the e-ten do a good enough job?

Sent from my R2 unit
Keep a watch on Amazon, save it in your cart, whatever.
I caught a 27.2 Lev for $275.
Very slow return in sub-freezing temps, once had to be banged on to get it started, and has stopped shy of full return a few times, but I expected that from the reviews. It works perfectly above ~35F(though the return is always going to take a second), so I haven't been disappointed.

Edit: If you're out below freezing a lot, I'd skip it, though. Even though it still functions, I timed the return at ~4 seconds one morning in the 20s. That would be frustrating to deal with on a regular basis.

Oh, btw, I have a Cobia with 17.5" frame and am 5'7" with a 30" inseam, but relatively long torso. Keep an eye on the specs while shopping droppers if you happen to be in the same boat. I only had enough exposed seat post for a 3" Gravity Dropper according to their site, so it would have been a rude awakening if I'd blindly ordered the 4" only to have it be too long to work for me.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Based on reviews I've read over the last few weeks I just purchased a X-Fusion HiLo 27.2 dropper. I got it from Jenson USA for $170 after a 15% discount, and I'll get another few bucks back from Active junky. The post is back-ordered and should ship early next week. Can't wait!

·
This place needs an enema
17,696 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Nothing better for peace of mind than hearing real user reviews. Thanks!

Did you do the install yourself? I'm going to install mine. I have watched the videos, and it seems much easier than installing a fork, and I was able to do that without too much pain.

Super easy. Toughest part is figuring how picky you want to be with the cable routing. I moved mine about 3 times after install. Basically i have the guide it comes with zip tied to the post keeping it close and tidy, then i go down thru the small triangle behind the seatpost so the cross bar keeps it away from the tire when down. Then zip tied it to my brake line carefully and followed up my front shifter cable loop off the frame.

Works well if you keep it at the right psi

·
Registered
978 Posts

Super easy. Toughest part is figuring how picky you want to be with the cable routing. I moved mine about 3 times after install. Basically i have the guide it comes with zip tied to the post keeping it close and tidy, then i go down thru the small triangle behind the seatpost so the cross bar keeps it away from the tire when down. Then zip tied it to my brake line carefully and followed up my front shifter cable loop off the frame.

Works well if you keep it at the right psi
You're exactly right! I moved mine three times while I was installing it! I have a Nite-Rider light mount on both sides of the stem that were doing battle with the cable coming out of the bat lever. Overall the install went smooth and I finished in just under an hour. The video on YouTube was easy to follow. My only struggle was getting the dust cap off the bottom of the post. WTF? There has to be a better design! I put a few scratches on the inside of the post while prying it up, which made me aggravated.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You're exactly right! I moved mine three times while I was installing it! I have a Nite-Rider light mount on both sides of the stem that were doing battle with the cable coming out of the bat lever. Overall the install went smooth and I finished in just under an hour. The video on YouTube was easy to follow. My only struggle was getting the dust cap off the bottom of the post. WTF? There has to be a better design! I put a few scratches on the inside of the post while prying it up, which made me aggravated.
Ah yea, that thing. I left mine off. Glad it worked out, you had a chance to try it?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.