Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I wonder what the design purpose is? Rather than just another shoe to buy. Maybe to replace the Larry which is getting long in the tooth.

You know what I would really like to see? A fat 29er. And no 3" is not fat. Maybe 3.4" with a 32+ diameter. Maybe too heavy but who knows until someone tries it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WHere do you think this will fit in with the Nate and HuDu? Any mention of availability?
No--no mention of availability.

My guesses:
Knard v. Nate: Knard will be lighter, faster rolling, less aggressive. Better for dry, worse for wet. More predictable when banked over, and narrower.

Knard v. HuDu: This will be an interesting one to see. Knard will be narrower, but I wonder how the rolling resistance and traction will compare.

·
Registered
404 Posts
No--no mention of availability.

My guesses:
Knard v. Nate: Knard will be lighter, faster rolling, less aggressive. Better for dry, worse for wet. More predictable when banked over, and narrower.

Knard v. HuDu: This will be an interesting one to see. Knard will be narrower, but I wonder how the rolling resistance and traction will compare.
What makes you think the Knard will be narrower?

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Knard is a 3.8, by label. I'm guessing it's on the same casing as the Larry. HuDu is 4, by label.

HuDu is significantly wider than Larry.
At first I saw this and thought big deal. But then I realized what this meant. I'm looking to replace my Larry. A 32" Knard would also require a whole new wheel. A Husker Du or this 26" Knard would be the cheapest and easiest upgrade.

I wonder if the Knard will be less than the $150 Husker Du, and when it will be available...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Knard is a 3.8, by label. I'm guessing it's on the same casing as the Larry. HuDu is 4, by label.

HuDu is significantly wider than Larry.
I'm sure there are other numbers out there but what I could find searching the forums is HuDu on a 80 mm rim 95.25 mm and Larry on same rim 96mm.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure there are other numbers out there but what I could find searching the forums is HuDu on a 80 mm rim 95.25 mm and Larry on same rim 96mm.
I don't have the mm measurements in front of me at the moment, but as tried, back to back, on my 82mm Rolling Darryls, the HuDu was appreciably wider than a 3.8 Larry.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I find Larry and HD basically the same and Nate wider. Haven't seen BFLs.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I think the 29x3" Knard will be around 850gms, and I think the 26x4" Husker Du is closer to 1200gms.
Right. 1200 1250. Still pretty light for the size. I'm really liking the HDs.

I've been riding a motorcycle again recently and I've started unclipping form the pedal and sticking my root out and to the front on a bike too in some turns. Really helps with weight distribution and cornering traction. Plus you have a foot there if you slip. I'm much better on the left than the right. Same way on a motorcycle : /

·
Nemophilist
1,873 Posts
Hey;

This may have been found by others here searching the Frame Building forum, but I thought I would toss it in here anyway, for the sake of this forum. There is a thread in that forum that I started that has a small list of some Fatbike tire profiles, useful for frame building purposes.

This is the spec I measured for a HuDu on the GRF/RD 80mm rim. This was while they were stretching at 40psi.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 93 Posts