Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1796 Posts

·
AKA Mr.Habanero
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy the 29er chinese carbon rim thread but l didnt see anything for all mountain chinese wheels or rims. I'm looking for some 26in carbon all mountain rims that need to be wide, pretty light and strong to go on my Tracer2. Going through all the Asian carbon stores is big undertaking. That, and l dont fully understand everything about wheels. Are all the rims pretty much for xc if not can someone point me in the right direction

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well the company that everybody is buying the wheels from in the 29er thread also makes 26er carbon rims as well.

26er MTB carbon MTB rim clincher - light-bicycle

That is the regular 24mm wide 26er. They are also in the process of producing a wider 26er that will come in at 30mm wide (external), 23mm wide (internal), and 23mm depth...which is wider than the ZTR Flow. Not sure on the weight of the wider rim since I'm still waiting for a reply from Nancy.

·
meh
1,213 Posts
they will be ready around the end of the month, this is the profile of the similar 29er rims...id imagine the 26" will be identical

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
Suitable for DH?
Impossible to tell, as these are not in production yet. However given that a Mavic 823 weighs over 600g, it's a bit hard to imagine that a sub 400 carbon rim is intended to compete in that usage category.

Check the 20 page thread in the 29er section for some short term ride reports.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah, I have been, I actually want to build up a set of normal 29er rims for my 29ers

But currently I am planning to build a set of DH rims with Stans Flow or DT swiss 500, so I wonder if these would work. The real question is what would happen if you hit something hard enough that would normally dent a aluminum rim.

·
meh
1,213 Posts
well, pound for pound, properly laid up carbon will be stronger than aluminum in pretty much all aspects, too many variables here to know though if these will adhere to that, i dont think id risk it on DH as the risk far outweighs the reward...light-bikes can build the rims up beefier for heavier riders upon request, so that might be an option if you are brave
enve has a DH rim coming out soon that has been quite durable in testing, much moreso than aluminum DH rims and weighs in around 475g...they will assuredly be better than these chinese rims, at a major cost penalty
Enve DH

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,392 Posts
I have seen Enve rims fail. One rim that a pro DH rider was using broke, with the bead hook chipped off. An AL rim would have bent at that spot. Granted, this was at Bootleg, so not too many rims last there.

Enve DH's are $1000 per rim. It's a joke.

For DH, if you are going to use light rims, you are better off using something cheaper like Flow and replacing it every season or more.

·
meh
1,213 Posts
read the article i linked about the testing they did, may be one you were talking aobut:

During the 2010 season, the Syndicate’s first on the carbon rims, they replaced 53 wheels, which was down from a reported 180 wheels per season when the team was on alloy. In 2011, the team had to replace just 11 wheels.

Of last season’s 11 broken wheels, not one lost air pressure or warranted their rider to slow before the finish line. “They were cracking hook beads,” said Schiers of the failures

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah ENVE, is a little too pricey for me. I love high end stuff, but when cost is 1000% ($600 vs. $60) greater then a comparable aluminum rim that weighs about the same, I think there is a better way to go.

But like it has been said, if the carbon fails it's one of 2 ways, it's a crack and it's not a huge deal, or it is a fracture, and all hell breaks loose in your world at that moment.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Here is what Nancy sent me for the wider 26er...she also mentioned that the weight will be right around 370-380g.

That profile doesn't look like it'll be tubeless compatible at all. The profile looks exactly like their current narrow 26 rim profile and the current rim is not tubeless compatible according to Nancy when I inquired about them.
I hope they make the profile like the wider 29er rim.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Per Nancy just a few minutes ago:

"Hello sir,

It is tubeless compatible,but we are doing the strength testing & also the outlook checking. To make them perfect.

Thanks,
Nancy"

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
well, if thats the case, the rim profile she sent you is incorrect...
Agreed,
I have the popcorn and wine in hand watching this thread. If I could get a sub 400g 23mm wide (internal) rim for my new Lefty build I'd be thrilled. I'd even go as high as $200 for it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Looks like March 5th is the ETA for the wider 26er. Nancy is checking back with the engineer to get me an up-to-date cross-section.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,273 Posts
What's the profile of their XC rim? At 330gr, it could make a killer rear wheel.

1 - 20 of 1796 Posts