Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to double post but someone from "What bike to buy" suggest I look to the other big boys/girls. I'm only 5'10".....and a half:rolleyes: but just a hair over 260lbs. My biggest questions are how much does my weight factor into travel and how important the rear lock out ability is? (strange grammar!) Here's my post in the other section.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=261005

Thanks guys!

Matt

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Soar Thumbs said:
My biggest questions are how much does my weight factor into travel and how important the rear lock out ability is?
I'll preface by saying that I'm just getting into the dual suspension game myself, so take my $0.02 for what it's worth.

I don't think your weight factors into how much travel you need. Get the amount of travel and the type of bike that matches your intended use. Shock sag can be set to the appropriate level with the proper air pressure (or coil spring rate if it's a coil shock). It's not like heavier guys need more travel than lighter guys. However, we can be harder on equipment so it's likely that we need a strong enough frame and sometimes stronger components.

In comparing the Enduro to the Stumpjumper I'd look first at what kind of riding you want to do. The Enduro has more travel so will probably be more forgiving on the rougher downhills and has the capability to take bigger hits (drops and jumps). On the other hand, the Stumpjumper is probably lighter weight and a bit more efficient pedaler. Still likely does OK with technical riding with 5" of travel, just not as well as the Enduro.

I demo'd the Enduro Expert and I really liked it. Well, had a little problem with chainsuck but I think that was a dysfunctioning chain tensioner. But the bike pedaled nice and handled the mildly technical sections well. There was a several mile mild road climb on my demo route and I didn't notice any bobbing or any loss of efficiency compared to the HT that I normally ride. I've never ridden the Stumpjumper, can't supply any info on that.

I just noticed that the Enduro Elite has less travel than the Expert and Pro models. There's only 18mm of travel difference between the Stumpy and the Enduro Elite. My opinion would be if you are more XC oriented than go with the Stumpy. However, if you are planning to do some more aggressive riding, with more technical downhills and maybe jumps and drops, then go with the higher end Expert Enduro to get the additional travel and better componentry. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points. What I want is great bike going down hill that won't make going up hill too difficult. The problem is I haven't ridden in over 10 years. I'm trying not to be too picky and Idealistic. Thanks for the help! I'd hate to get a stumpJ and have it bottoming out, and I'd hate to get an Enduro and find myselt struggling up hill. Though, it doesn't sound from people reports that that'll be the case.

Matt
Thanks again!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Soar Thumbs.

I'm 250lbs and have an '06 SJ. I'm pretty hard on my equipment, but lack of skill limits me to small drops and jumps. I've never had a problem with the Stumpy bottoming, and I'm still to find it's limits on difficult descents.

I find the 'lock out' on the Fox Triad virtually useless (seems to be a common feeling), but in the propedal mode, don't find myself wanting for it.

Not surprisingly, I get dropped by my mates on the ups, but they generally weigh 20 to 30 kilos less than me, and I'm not that far off the back. I'm sure it's not the bike holding me back.

Having said all that, this years Enduros look great, but look a lot more bike than I need.
Depends on what you want.
Cheers.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but the enduros of the past had a lot of frame issues.:nono:
Not sure if they've been fixed with the frame redesign in '05, but I bet it was done for a reason.:skep:

We are pretty hard on bikes and frame warranties down here in Austin. Hard rock and all.:madman:

There are quite a few of us who have broken Enduro frames time and time again.
I'd have to dig around to find it, but I do have a write up of all the failure points with pictures from some folks in Austin/San Antonio, if interested ping me.

I'm 6'6", 260+ in gear. I broke mine ('04 Expert) on the chain stays and I was like you, just starting out and not doing anything too crazy. Not big drops or anything too agressive. :eekster: Just a newbie.

They were great with the warranty, but still....once you have a frame failure, it's kinda hard to have confidence in the frame going forward. Something you don't want to lack when you're trying something new or riding somewhere in the back forty. Would really suck to have to walk out a busted frame a few miles. I was lucky to only be a mile in when I broke mine.

Just remember, factory bikes are NOT typically made for people of our stature and weight. So you have to shop accordingly.

I thought I was "over buying" with the Enduro and I was wrong.

So I've switched all my parts over from the enduro to my Titus and LOVE IT!
Upgraded a few along the way.

I've done way bigger :thumbsup: and more aggressive :thumbsup: and stupid stuff :eek: on the Titus.

On your shock, the lockout is nice if you ever want a hard tail. Folks have remote switches and it seems to help when they need it. I'd lock mine out when I rode street to keep in shape.

I currently have a manitou 3 way swinger and haven't been too impressed with that.
I'll be saving up for a DHX 5.0 Coil.

Buy Big, Buy Strong, Buy right the first time and you'll save, save, save in the long run.

Seriously people. If your budget is $2000, ditch the starbucks or whatever for a few months and save up a few extra $$$.

In Austin, the big names for bikes are Titus, Ventana, and Ellsworth. Most people break other stuff and then migrate to one of those frames.

Not to bust Enduros too badly, I did really like it when I had it. It was a great frame...until it broke.

Save yourself some trouble and go straight there, if you can. Well worth it, in the long run.

Just my $.02.

Carry on....:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good reply! Thanks! I'm pretty sure they did make a chassis change for '06.....anyone comfirm?? And I think '07 is the same chassis as '06. Good points though, more research to do. I'll check out Titis, Ventana, and Ellsworth. Thanks again bud!

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.