Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience using a tire this wide and what are the advantages/disadvantages of such a wide tire.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
it really depends on how long the tire has been around. A lot of "2.7" tires that came out 10+ years ago are really quite a bit narrower.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
My 2.5 Muddy Mary is HUGE. Its the same size as a Maxxis 2.7. My buddy runs Maxxis DHF 2.7s front and rear. Another buddy use to run Michy 2.8s front and rear. Many years ago I ran a Gazzo 3.0 in the front Big tires are great, but they are heavy.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
If you want absolute confidence and can give up some rolling speed then they're great!

I think I have a Nevegal 2.7 in perfect shape I'd let go cheap if anyone is interested.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Berkley said:
Advantages: traction, volume, traction

Disadvantages: HEAVY, frame/fork clearance, definitely requires DH tubes.
except for the tubes.
I've never used a DH tube in my DHF 2.7. You can get 2.5" tubes that are regular thickness (presta valve too), mine are Specialized and Continentals.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
fsrxc said:
except for the tubes.
I've never used a DH tube in my DHF 2.7. You can get 2.5" tubes that are regular thickness (presta valve too), mine are Specialized and Continentals.
Well, I basically meant a thicker tube than a standard 1.95-2.125 tube. I consider a 2.5" tube a DH tube. IMO, using a normal sized tube would stretch it too much and be much more prone to pinch flats. Really depends on air pressure and riding style.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
Berkley said:
I consider a 2.5" tube a DH tube. IMO, using a normal sized tube would stretch it too much and be much more prone to pinch flats. Really depends on air pressure and riding style.
good save. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts