Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree

Unless your trying to make something work cause you aren't able to buy something different I think your best bet it to get a 26 bike and keep it.

Your question brings up a thought. If your wheel is 29in and you then put on a 26in. That is roughly 3 in smaller. That would mean you would need maybe, let say, a 140 mm length crank?

Not a good idea in my mind to make the swap. If unsure, just try it.

good luck.

Rob

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
happymeal said:
I would think the wheel will be 1.5" shorter overall if measure from the hub and I was hoping it wouldn't effect other parts or the performance of the bike.
Since 26" wheel are really ~26.5 on average, you're looking at a 1.25" drop in BB height.

That's A LOT.

Your bike would be almost unrideable off-road on anything but fire roads and smooth singletrack.

Sell it and get something that fits.

·
Team Captain
1,322 Posts
I say get some 26" inch wheels and see if it works for you, maybe with some 165 cranks. Worst that could happen is you sell your 29" bike, and you already have 26" wheels for your new bike!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Is your bike too tall as in, you can reach the ground with both toes when seated?

That's a common problem, but it's never the bike. You need a road bike, they're much better for that ;-)

Seriously, Fisher 29"ers used to be really low before they got really tall. For 2008, that a bit moderate now. Do tell which bike you have, we've not heard it here before. Is it even supposed to run 29" wheels?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
That's a trekking bike that fits some 29" tires.
Explains it perhaps. Some trekking bikes get the same BB drop as a 26"er, for all the most stupid reasons. Not sure about yours, perhaps take measurement to check waht they did? Line through the axles, and see how much above the centre of the BB that is.

But really, off-road bikes are supposed to have taller BB's. It's one of the few things actually thought-through properly on most of today's MTB's.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes I can reach both sides of the ground when seated.
i cant put both my feet flat. and my bike fits me fine. unless you want a cruiser, comfort bike, something to ride to the store, etc, you probably have your seat too low. mountain bikes (and road bikes too) are sposed to have saddles high enough that you have to get off of them when you put both your feet on the ground. and even though you bike is hybridish, i suspect its supposed to be set up the same way.

and while riding, if you feel comfortable sitting in the saddle and reaching the handlebar, then the bike probably fits you fine, you just need to get used to riding with that seat up higher. basically, starting and stopping while off the saddle.

on the other hand, if your bike really is too big, youre gonna be better off selling it and getting a different bike, 26 or 29, that fits you right. change the wheels and cranks, and youll only make your ill-fitting bike ride and/or fit worse. if youre not sure about the fit and raising the saddle, take it to a bike shop and ask them to help you.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
happymeal said:
Its Specialized Crosstrail. Yes I can reach both sides of the ground when seated.
i can't do that on any of my bikes, 26 or 29, and get proper leg extension from the saddle to the pedals. what makes you think the big is too tall for you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I mean I can reach the ground by the top of my toes when seating in the saddle.

Anyway I took some measurement today , the lowest point of the Bottom Bracket from the ground is about 304mm and on the website it says B-B Drop is 65mm. I have no idea what that means. The paddle at its lowest position from the ground is about 5".

I would really like to know will I have enough ground clearance to drop down wheels size to 26". Thanks

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
happymeal said:
I mean I can reach the ground by the top of my toes when seating in the saddle.

Anyway I took some measurement today , the lowest point of the Bottom Bracket from the ground is about 304mm and on the website it says B-B Drop is 65mm. I have no idea what that means. The paddle at its lowest position from the ground is about 5".

I would really like to know will I have enough ground clearance to drop down wheels size to 26". Thanks
Your bike is fine. I don't understand why you are thinking it's tall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.