Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't belive the initial reports... this place is great!

Went there this weekend and had a blast. If you fancy yourself as any kind of decent descender you owe it to yourself to give this place a try. Jump on it now before the lift lines are 100 riders deep next season.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

The Good:
How's 10,000ft of descending on a lazy sunday sound? Even if the hill's only 400ft and sometime you have to wait a few minutes on your bike this was easily accomplished.

The best trails there combine fast narrow benchcut with wide open tables, and steep switchbacks. By the end of the day i could feel my skills had improved alot, even on my last two runs i was trying new stuff. The hardest parts of the day were stoping for lunch and knowing when to go quit before i hurt myself.

So much more fun and such a better deal than skiing or snowboarding in this area. Beats paying 40 bucks to wait cold in line with a bunch of people from florida just to slide sideways down some man made ice.

The Bad and Ugly (meant only as positive, constructive criticism);

- Many of the trails still need alot of work. The left side had alot of potential but was a good bit slower and stayed wet. Widening the trail and shoring up a few areas would help alot.

-The main slope is begging for more features. Not neccessary anything massive, just some berms and tables and more stuff for intermediates and beginers. The entrance tunnel would be the perfect place for a wallride.

-Some tech features, pump track or 1/2 pipe would be cool at the base, so you could keep moving while waiting on the shuttle or friends.

Anyway i understand the area has basically been built by a handfull of people mostly by hand so most of my grievances will work out over time. Keep up the good work. I'll definately be back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We were also there this weekend and had a blast as well. Because I'm a downhill newbie and it had only been my 4th ride since starting back up this year in 5 years I found it quite challenging at first. I think the place has great potential. Some beginner and intermediate terrain were a little more technical than had anticipated but the learning curve increased every run. I agree with Moheinous definitely much more bang for your buck than sliding in the winter season!

·
Philosophizer
483 Posts
I met up with Jim311 for some fun on Sat.YoB is really starting to shape up. It's open all the way to the bottom now.

Jim on Yo B

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Thanks for being my ride guide Andy, and throwing those pics up! I had a good time up there. I will definitely come back and I can't wait to see what the trails are going to look like once they get a little more worn in. I think some of the awkward spacing on some of the jumps will start to smooth out and flow better also once they see some more traffic. Hopefully business will pick up at the park.. there was zero waiting so it was easy to get in lots of runs. Good times.. if anyone is on the fence about showing up to check it out it's definitely worth your time and money!

·
Philosophizer
483 Posts
Jim311 said:
Thanks for being my ride guide Andy, and throwing those pics up! I had a good time up there. I will definitely come back and I can't wait to see what the trails are going to look like once they get a little more worn in. I think some of the awkward spacing on some of the jumps will start to smooth out and flow better also once they see some more traffic. Hopefully business will pick up at the park.. there was zero waiting so it was easy to get in lots of runs. Good times.. if anyone is on the fence about showing up to check it out it's definitely worth your time and money!
I had a blast. It was a good time fer sure.
Check your PMs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks great form the pics I've found on here and ridemonkey.com, plus several other web pics/video. To keep this place open it sounds like we need to spread the word. Plastering the web with more photos and more video would help plus going there. I plan on being there over laborday. But really am kind of wondering if it's worth the trip from Indiana. Any other places around Ashville worth riding, any freeriding or jumps anywhere else?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Asheville area is a riders paradise! Great mountain biking all around. Pisgah Forest for long 7mi.+ rides some very technical, Dupont forest has rides to lots of waterfalls. Bent Creek has something to offer for everyone and Asheville is a great city. Be prepared for some climbing if you're not out at 26 West. We have lots of mountains:) Here's a site that can give you options for rides other than 26 West.

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/index.html

Hope you make it out here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.