Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sirs,

I would just like to know your opinions, I believe that I am very weak in climbs. I just want to know which is easier to pedal going up a 26 inch or 29er. Let say the scenario would be you have a long road road 25 degrees incline to climb from a full stop no momentum used, which will be easier to pedal up a 26 or 29er.

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
The tires get a bit more grip with the 29er, and the wheels roll over obstacles that would normally put a slight stop to a climb - thus causing lack of traction on a 26er (with less grip). So yeah, 29ers are better at climbing - IF we're talking about extreme climbs where traction is the issue.

But, the 29er is heavier usually, and less nimble at super slow speeds, so it might not accelerate as easily as a lighter weight 26er - might not, there are slow to accelerate 26ers and fast to accelerate 26ers...

Here's one factor though that most people will neglect to mention. 29ers do not like to do wheelies - on super steep climbs that's a really big issue. No wheelies on climb + more rear wheel traction available. I'd say it's pretty obvious that the 29er is hugely useful for climbs, especially if they are intensely steep.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
thanoz said:
Here's one factor though that most people will neglect to mention. 29ers do not like to do wheelies - on super steep climbs that's a really big issue. No wheelies on climb + more rear wheel traction available. I'd say it's pretty obvious that the 29er is hugely useful for climbs, especially if they are intensely steep.
As someone else considering a 29er I see that a huge negative. Not be able to pop the front wheel up and over obstacles on technical climbs would be bad. Something I need to remember to test during a trial ride of a 29er.

·
Registered
655 Posts
depending which 9er u get wheels can be hard or they can be just like any other bike
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=186151

Edit: I also "pop" my front wheel over obstacles all the time.... still trying to work on manuals though :/

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
mikeg19 said:
Sirs,

I would just like to know your opinions, I believe that I am very weak in climbs. I just want to know which is easier to pedal going up a 26 inch or 29er. Let say the scenario would be you have a long road road 25 degrees incline to climb from a full stop no momentum used, which will be easier to pedal up a 26 or 29er.

Thanks
Neither will make as much of a difference as going out and riding your bike for an extra couple hours a week.

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
Rivet said:
Neither will make as much of a difference as going out and riding your bike for an extra couple hours a week.
+1

26ers are a bit better in some situations for climbing, 29ers are better in others. either way, the bike is not where i'd focus my attention if you're struggling on climbs. get in shape. a good rider will smoke you up climbs with 24inch wheels or 30inch wheels. once you're a bit stronger, then you can figure out the nuances of which bike better suits your climbing style/needs.
by the way, you begin your thread with "sirs" as though only men are on this board and/or know how to answer the question of a neophyte. my guess would be that my girlfriend would crush you on any ride, on any bike, anytime. just sayin'.

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
44gnats said:
+1

26ers are a bit better in some situations for climbing, 29ers are better in others. either way, the bike is not where i'd focus my attention if you're struggling on climbs. get in shape. a good rider will smoke you up climbs with 24inch wheels or 30inch wheels. once you're a bit stronger, then you can figure out the nuances of which bike better suits your climbing style/needs.
by the way, you begin your thread with "sirs" as though only men are on this board and/or know how to answer the question of a neophyte. my guess would be that my girlfriend would crush you on any ride, on any bike, anytime. just sayin'.
that response was a bit rude; sorry. you have a right to ask such a question, particularly such a humble one, without me taking a jab at you. guess i'm cranky that it's so cold that ridin' my 29er today will mean freezing toes and fingers once again. my bad. good luck.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
As I posted similarly on the last thread about climbing 26vs29, the OP might like to know that when you run 29" wheels on the same drive train as 26" wheels, your gears effectively get steeper. The granny on the 29er will feel like the 2nd cog on the the 26er, and so on. Some folks don't miss it, others (like me) install a 20T chain ring to get the lower gearing back. A 12-36 cassette is another possibility.

Myself, I climb better on my 29er 98% of the time. Once in a while I miss the greater flickability of the 26er. And I descend better 100% of the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently got a 29er and feel I climb much better on it than I ever did on my old 26. It is true that the front wheel is a bit harder to pull up, but not markedly so - just work on your upper body a bit. The 29er just rolls right over stuff making it easier to climb without some of the nuisance hang ups.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I was riding a 26 single speed a few years ago and rode with some guys on 29er's and i was able to keep up with them and eventually pass all of them. I had never ridden a 29er so i started talking to them. We took a break and i was asking a bunch of questions and they just laughed and said,

"You have the motor to push big wheels, go get one."
So i got one and yeah... Love it!!

On steep climbs the bike seems to hook up better and has better traction. Think of a automatic transmission in drive compared to 1st gear.

I could tell that the 29er did not come up to speed on climbs as fast but once you got it there it seemed faster because it kept the momentum. Once you get strong enough to keep that momentum climbing it seems to be an advantage. That is just my opinion though, i have been smoked on climbs by dudes on 26 wheels many of times but the wheels were not the reason, it was the rider.

Once again it all comes down to the rider like many other people have mentioned. If you think the 29er is too slow on hills, eat better, take an extra spin class, blah blah. Or just stick with the 26

·
Leg Shaver
563 Posts
more of the same from the patronizing crowd who know everything on here and were here first and discovered 29ers first and are true kore riders...bla bla bla. "search....shut up and ride.. balh blah bla" ..".I read all the posts so should you.".."ride don't post" blah blah blah bling weenies" no help dweebs :madman: doing wonders for the sport btw

post what you want my brother dont worry about koredude because he is the first to post his color coordinated flicker chick bike and a pics of him getting air.....

My answer is it depends and this is just my experience and I am not able to prove anything and don't feel compelled too. Traction is better on the 29 for me. Momentum and wheel roll size and surface area allow for better flow and roll over stuff at a slower speed for a guy my size. however getting to speed is not as quick as short burst like a quick transition up and out of a section. That can be answered with better prep trade off either way

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents, and think I'm a strong climber. I have a FS 26er and FS 29er each spec'd nicely. The 29er does weigh about 3 lbs more, which is DEFINITELY a climbing issue. I recently upgraded the 29er wheelset which makes a nice difference.

Short answer: it depends on where you ride. I'm not going to try to break that down, everyone needs to draw their own conclussions...

In my experience:

Upside: The 29er really excels in the loose stuff, the traction is WAY better than a 26er. I also like how my front end stays planted on the 29er. I am more stable on the 29er and feel a little more balanced. Also, for what it's worth, I like riding the 29er more! It's just more fun for me and I get a lot less beat up on my rides. 29ers do rule...

Downside: Somewhere in this thread I read the word "flickability." This is so true. I can flick my 26er around much easier. This makes a huge difference in the tight, steep sections. For this reason I grab the 26er when we're doing AM type of stuff, and usually when I go with the advanced group.

Something I've found (and this is probably due to the extra 3 lbs on my 29er): I train on the 29er. This really helps me when I switch back to a 26er for an AM ride with a group. It has made me stronger.

Conclusion: In 90% of my riding, the 29er does climb better. This percentage would go up if I could shave 3 lbs off the 29er.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
29er problems and climbing

Negatives:

1) bikes are typically heavier mostly due to heavier wheels
2) Taller gearing due to bigger wheels. I have heard 11 percent taller.

Positives:
1) Fit better for bigger riders
2) Each crank revolution pushes the bike further due to taller gearing. You need to be strong.
3) Of course it rolls over obstacles better due to bigger wheels.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
A 29r really isn't harder to lift the front wheel it just doesn't lift unintentionally as much. Maybe it's a hair harder but I don't notice it much. Someone told me this was a negative and after I got mine I went back and told him he was full of crap. I climb much better than I did on a 26r. On fire roads a 26r has the advantage but the trade off isn't worth it.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
mikeg19 said:
Sirs,

Thanks
Neither... if you're a weak climber - hell, if you're a strong climber - you're not going up a long 25* anything on any size wheel.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think there are so many things to take into consideration to compare both in climbing but I was able to climb stuff on my rigid Mamasita that I never cleared on my 26" FS XC bike

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.