Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Well duuuhhh

no nope uh uhh. you may want to clarify what your concern is exactly. does your back hurt or are you having a hard time handling the bikes on terrain?:confused:
Different size wheels. Agreed. It's seems like a non problem to me. OP should get rid of one or the other wheel size bikes. No problem. Or just ride them each on apropriate terrain that suits them. Again, no problem. I have 26 and 650 ht and fs, 29 ht and soon a 29 fs. Mix it up.

·
aka "SirLurkAlot"
624 Posts
I have only owned 29ers for about 5 or 6 years now. When I went back to trying to ride my 26er it was a big adjustment for me. I didn't like it but that's just me. Sold the last 26" wheel bike and never looked back. FWIW they were all SS's and I also noticed the differences in accelleration and momentum. For me, I prefer 29ers but I don't think one is better than the other. It's just what I like and I didn't like the difference in feel. It bothered me.

YMMV :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am in the market for a new mtb. I currently ride a 26" and would consider going with a 29'er even though I have never ridden one. I apologize if this would steal the thread, but what are the pros and are there any cons to going full suspension 29'er? I currently ride a Specialized Epic.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Snosaw,
Depends on a number of factors, type of trails, your size and style of riding. If your taller and ride on stuff that requires rolling over big logs or rocks then there is only the 29er. However, if your shorter and lighter and you ride on smooth tight twisty stuff you might consider a 26, although the 29ers have come along way in this department. I'll never go back to a 26 though if that helps.

·
Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help to those who helped. Others should.... i don't know.
I think i'll sell the Niner and leave the big wheeled biking to those that can't ride a 26er anymore.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Back to the original question: For some reason when riding my 26er I feel like I'm moving faster...I know it's accelerating faster. When riding on the same trails my 29er is slightly faster in the end (Garmin doesn’t lie). As most have already point out, the 26" frame feels more like a BMX after riding my 29er. My primary ride is the 29er...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Do a search

Anybody making 29'ers that will fit a 5'5 rider? At this height is it generally just best to stick with the 26?
Subject has been beaten to death.

In short... yes. You can fit a 29er. The real question is, does it fit what you like? It might. I know folks shorter than you that changed to 29ers and would never go back.

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
I am coming around to the conclusion that they are just different tools to get the same job done. I don't necessary think one design is "better" than the other in all areas. I love my 29er but still have fun on my 26. Different feel, different ride; times are close.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have been riding 29ers all year and switched back to a 26er hardball. I absolutely love it! Accelerates much quicker, nimble, blah, blah! I am only 5'7" and I find I fit 26ers better. More stand over. I work at a bike shop and I feel that 29ers are better suited to tall guys. As well, I think you get get away with less skill on 29er and ride faster. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. You can just get up and go, the corner, the descending, climbing is all easier on a 29er. If I could find a 29er that is like my Ibis Tranny, with some Easton haven carbon wheels I would be interested! Bottom line is ride what you have and have fun!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have been riding 29ers all year and switched back to a 26er hardball. I absolutely love it! Accelerates much quicker, nimble, blah, blah! I am only 5'7" and I find I fit 26ers better. More stand over. I work at a bike shop and I feel that 29ers are better suited to tall guys. As well, I think you get get away with less skill on 29er and ride faster. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. You can just get up and go, the corner, the descending, climbing is all easier on a 29er. If I could find a 29er that is like my Ibis Tranny, with some Easton haven carbon wheels I would be interested! Bottom line is ride what you have and have fun!
No kidding. I just picked up a Tranny (that dosn't sound right) after 3 years of only riding 29ers, and yeah I wish I had done it sooner. It's pretty incredible. I think it's nice to have a choice between 29" and 26".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.