Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drizzle's bike in the "SS Commuters Unite" thread really changed my mind about keeping my old Marin Team a 26" wheel bike. If for no other reason than Deep V's look sweet enough to put on anything.

My only concern is that because my bike is vintage it's go super long rear stays which looks a bit goofy no matter what wheelset is in it. I thought about converting to track drops, but then I risk rubbing.

So lets see some pictures of your conversion.

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
not a convert here (bought a 700c frame to start with) but that bike above is hot!

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
I keep hoping for more photos, but I think it is unlikely. Nice ride though. Out of curiosity I threw my 700c on my 26inch bike and reveled in how stupid it looks. My bike looked stupid to begin with.

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
PaintPeelinPbody said:
Drizzle's bike in the "SS Commuters Unite" thread really changed my mind about keeping my old Marin Team a 26" wheel bike. If for no other reason than Deep V's look sweet enough to put on anything.

My only concern is that because my bike is vintage it's go super long rear stays which looks a bit goofy no matter what wheelset is in it. I thought about converting to track drops, but then I risk rubbing.

So lets see some pictures of your conversion.
Sweet. Looks like you might even have clearance for fenders.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
recently wrote about this build on the VRC forum. It's already in pieces again but it was fun to try building a 26" with 700c wheels. Had to make the front brakes from parts and use a bmx brake for the rear.

Attachments

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
wasn't anything too impressive: I found these new arms in a parts bucket and saw their potential for high pad placement, but they were missing everything like springs, bushings, spring retainers . . . so they were only 3$. I was able to harvest the other parts from an old odyssey a-brake like the one pictured, but I had to machine some of the parts to make them fit. worked very well but with the pads being so high and the canti bosses being so low, the flex was too great and I feel that they would not have lasted very long before something failed from stress.

Attachments

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
There isn`t much meat in those top calipers- they must be for some serious weight weenies! Any idea what make they were? And the rear brakes are BMX? I see Odessy on a lot of stuff that I think if for BMX, but I thought they all used U-brakes or no brakes. I guess not.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
as far as i can tell, the arms are one-of-a-kind. i showed them to several experienced mechanics and none had even a clue of their origin. the fact that they weren't even finished or functional makes me think that they were a project someone abandoned.

bmx bikes have used many of the same brake systems as mountain and road bikes, such as side pull, cantilever, u-brake, v-brake and even some disk brakes. but when i was into bmx, most of us used shoe-brakes, meaning you just crammed your shoe between between the tire and seat stay to stop the bike!

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
i've built many a bike and this was by far the biggest bomb i ever produced. it was almost comical how bad the geometry was and how poorly it handled. my expectations were low going in so luckily i wasn't at all disappointed, i mostly did it for the challenge.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could you explain this in detail a little more?

The stem length and height could have really affected the handling, as well as the fork offset and length.

I've spoken with other conversion riders who say that the handling isn't as bad as some people would lead us to believe, but then they seem to have better conversion as well.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Sorry, let me clarify: I built this mostly out of spare parts and mostly for something to do, so the geometry and handleing were poor because of choices I made and from the strange mix of components I used. For example, the frame was a small even though I ride large, so I had to jack the seat post to it's max. I also used a very vertically short but very horizontally long stem, which made it feel like a pursuit bike. And the rake is adjustable on that fork, which was another thing I could have done to make it more ridable. So, I guess my point is that if I had the inclination, I could have made it a very comfortable bike.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I did the opposite for a while... I was running 26" wheels/tires on my cyclocross bike when I first built it. I was saving for the 29er wheels, and had some slicks and disc compatible mtb wheels laying around. It wasn't too bad to ride, other than an incredibly low BB height. I smacked my pedals on pretty much everything higher than road level, and could not pedal around corners AT ALL. :lol:

·
Off the back...
2,292 Posts
This conversion worked really well:

The handling was basically like a mellow road bike, but still performed well in all conditions, including snow. I've since put a flat bar on it and loaned it to a friend.

That Kona is sweet...

G

·
Try these for V brakes- I've seen them elsewhere for about $20 per,
Let's me run 700 open pro's on a Klein Adroit

WebCyclery :: Brakes :: Misc. Brake Parts :: Mavic Canti Brake Adapter

Mavic Canti Brake Adapter #17608
Mavic Canti Brake Adapter

Click the photo to enlarge
If you have a 26" bike that you want to run with 700c road wheels - you might need this. Sure you could run discs, but if you want to run cantis or v-brakes, this will help.

Max suggested tire size is 700x25 - maybe a 28.

Sold individually.

Details

Price: $ 30.00

Options

Quantity

Add to cart

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its not the best picture, but its snowing out and I am not taking another. Its actually a faded lime green or neon yellow. This bike was set up as a 26 coaster brake. Now is a 700 rear and a 27 front. Built from spare parts this is my current commuter. I didnt work out the brake problem yet, but it is set up fixed and doesnt go to fast, so I am not worried about it.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts