Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im really interested in getting another hardtail and going SS or 2S. and im real interested in a 29'r.

so my question is this, is it possible to go back and forth from a HT 9'r and a DS 6'r?

ive never ridden a 29, so this is the reason i ask. a lot of what i read is it's the ****, and im worried that i wont want to ride my trance after i get one!

what say you?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I own a SS 29er and a 6" FS 26er.

I ride my 29er most of the time. The 26er is for longer rides, downhill, or geared rides.

I would not own a "XC or Trail" 26" bike and a HT 29er, simply they over lap too much and one bike can do a trail equally as well as the other. A trance and a HT 29er might be too close.

If I had the money my stable would be my SS 29er, a Niner RIP 1x10, and a 6-7" 26er for Downhillish. So there would be enough variety in the bikes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Any bike with suspension is going to be more comfortable than any bike without suspension. A hard-tail is a hard-tail. I own a Pivot Mach 4. I went to a Pivot demo and rode: the Mach 5.7, Firebird and the Mach 429. The demo was on rocky trails. The Mach 5.7 was way more comfortable than the Pivot Mach 429. I own a Specialized RockHopper and have ridden the same trail, so I know what each bike feels like.

Anyone than makes statements that a hard-tail 29r is equivalent to 4" 26r is full of $hit, or they ride really smooth trails.

My two cents.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Don't sweat it. Different horses for different courses. Or different horses for the same course to spice things up a bit. Remember, the formula for how many bikes one should have:

N+1 (N=the number currently possessed)

I do it with me blur & my GT & my Cobia all the time.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,557 Posts
I do.

I have a rigid 29er and a 5" 26er. I ride the 29er almost all the time, but if I'm going to be on a slower ride, or if I want to really rail some DH's (which are few and far between in Ohio) I'll grab the 26er. But the 29er can go anywhere the 26er does and I can ride it just as long as the 26er for days in a row. It helps that both bikes are set up similarly, although the 29er is a bit more "XC". It comes up a little short on really nasty, rocky DHs, so that's where the 26er picks up the slack. Riding the 29er on nasty descents is the same thrill, though, just at a slightly lower speed. But I get super lazy on the susp. bike - 5" forgives a lot of stupid moves.

-F

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Is it possible to switch between bikes with a 71 degree head tube angle and a one with 68 degrees? Is it possible to switch between a bike with a long travel fork travel fork, and a rigid fork? Is it possible to own both a geared bike and a single speed? Is it possible to own a road bike and a mountain bike?

Bikes come in a thousand flavors. Enjoy them all.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Frozenspokes said:
Remember, the formula for how many bikes one should have:

N+1 (N=the number currently possessed)
Hilarious! Reminds me of the answer to the spouse's question of "How many pair of skis do you need, anyway?" Answer: One more pair!

OP, the comment that anybody that says a HT 29er is like a 4-inch FS 26er is spot on. That just isn't true. I think you'll enjoy both bikes, but what happened to me is that within several months of getting the HT 29er, I started scheming to turn the FS 26er into a 29er!

Preference depends so much on where you ride. My home area ranges from kind of rough to really rough, and I'm never sure why I even own a HT (except for a winter road bike). OTOH, my wife and I travel to Bend, Oregon several times a year, and I find myself thinking I could probably get by living there with ONLY a HT (but I'd still prefer not to).

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree with the poster above. It's where you ride that determines what you need. Here in Southern California about half the places where I ride are technically challenging. I'm sure there are people who hit the rock gardens on a hardtail 29er but I'm definitely not one of them nor would I want to be. If you have rock gardens and technical descents I definitely wouldn't want to ride down in a hardtail. For very tight terrain a 29er can sometimes be a pain because it just isn't as manuverable as a 26 inch bike. Of course if you have a long descent no will can touch you on a full suspension 29er. I recall one descent in particular I was riding with someone who knew this horsetrail/fire road better than me and I was actually able to pull out nearly a minute on him on my FS 29er.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'm surprised you got such a balanced response so far. This forum is usually full on 29er zealot.

I've got at Trance X and few other 26er FS bikes plus a Anthem x 29er and 29er hard tail. They all get used. I should cut back a bit. The Anthem x 29er overlaps the 29er hardtail and Trance X. I use the hardtail SS and 1 x 9 for xc racing. I use the AX 29er for marathon and xc racing and some trail. I use the Trance in rougher marathon courses and some trail work.
Ax 29er carves single track better than the Trance X which is a bit frantic and twitchy in comparison. I still prefer the way a slack angled 26er fs carves though.A 29er takes the edge of the smaller stuff but in the rough stuff with vertical drops, 5" 26er is still plusher[especially in the front] than a 4" 29er and a hard tail is still a hard tail even with 29" wheels.

If I cut back I would probably keep the Ax 29er and a slack angled 140mm or 150mm 26er FS. I still like to SS so I would probably still squeeze in a 29er hard tail too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.