Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, after a ride on my Pantera I was looking at the bike & it dawned on me that there was a lot of room in the rear triangle & I wondered if a 29" wheel would fit.

I go home, drop in the rear wheel from my Niner & there's plenty of room (aside from the front derailleur) Since I ride my single speed almost all the time these days I have been thinking of going with a 1x9 set up with this bike anyhow. There also appears to be enough room for suspension travel.

This fine bike is sitting in the garage way too often, so I wonder how well a Pantera 29er conversion would work, or if it would work at all.

Am I the only crazy person out there who's thought of this? Would there be a clearance issue with the down tube & a Reba 29er fork? (it's a 21" frame)

I emailed Sherwood with this question but have not yet heard back from him (he may still be laughing)

So, has anyone heard of a 29er conversion on a Pantera (or any other bike)? Feel free to call me crazy, but be gentle about it

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
It might work, but, but you're raising the front more than the rear. Say, going from a 80mm 26" fork to 29"+80mm, the front raises ~60mm. The rear 31.5mm. BB around 45mm.
29" bikes have the BB corrected for this, so it ends up where the designer likes his BB's.

It it worth that to you? Why not buy a $1700 complete Fisher FS bike, sell the pantera frame+fork and use the parts to upgrade the Fisher?

People have done this with rigid bikes like the surly 1x1, BB is raised by 31.5mm then.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Check for rear wheel clearance through the suspension travel. The tire may hit something before the end of the travel.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I think Cloxxki's right. First you'll be raising both axles by about 30mm. That alone will increase trail, thereby slowing down the handling. But as he mentioned, you'll also be raising the head tube by as much as 60mm, slackening out the geometry and slowing down the handling even more. Finally, again as mentioned, you'll raise the BB by 30mm plus another 12mm or so due to the longer fork.

Could still be worthwhile as an experiment -- as long as you're willing to spend $400 on a Reba for an experiment ... or as down payment on the 29"er you'll probably end up buying later anyway.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, all good points and probably correct. Even if there's no rubbing and/or clearence issues, the bike will end up sitting higher & the handling will likely be effected in a bad way.

I am not worried about spending the money on a new fork and wheelset since I'll need to do that regardless if I try the Pantera conversion or buy a new frame.

Sherwood did reply and told me a lot of the same things you guys have said. He also said he'd stop laughing at me when I swap my Pantera frame for a new Ventana 29er ;)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Tell us that's not what you wanted anyway ;-)
It can be had with 5" rockers now...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cloxxki said:
Tell us that's not what you wanted anyway ;-)
It can be had with 5" rockers now...
Well........what I really wanted was to get a FS 29er frame w/o having to buy one ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts