Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm running 26" x 2.1" Maxxis Ignitors with tubes. The current tires I have are about 6 years old, so they need to be replaced. I'm looking for something with a little more bite and mud shedding ability.

The type of trail riding I do is mostly hard packed dirt/clay, with about 30-40% grass. I generally try to not ride when the trails are wet, but running in to mud is inevitable, so I'd like a tire that sheds mud reasonably well.

Any recommendations on what tires I should get? I'm not sure what other information is needed to make an informed decision, so just let me know.

Thanks.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,457 Posts
Sounds like you need a sort of "all rounder" with a more open tread pattern for bite on the grass and also to help shed whatever mud you encounter. CST Camber, Maxxis Advantage, Ignitor, Kenda Karma, Honey Badger, Geax Barro, WTB Bronson and Weirwolf, Conti Mountain King II. Go for a 2.1 - 2.2" size IMO. You don't need huge volume and extra weight for hardpack unless it's choppy and rocky or you are a heavy rider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current tires are Maxxis Ignitor's - I wasn't happy with the way they didn't shed mud - though maybe I just don't have experience with tires that are truly bad at it.

I've heard good things about the Honey Badger.

Thanks for the quick reply.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,457 Posts
Ignitor can be a love / hate tyre it seems. Some folks don't like the profile up front and find it skatey in loose over hard. Others love it. It does tend to run a bit narrow in my experience. There are also different mud recipes too, not all mud is created equal. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just got a set of continental x-kings to replace my high rollers for the summer on my single speed. they roll pretty fast and im surprised how well they shed mud. i have the 2.4s but they come in a 2.2 as well. might be worth a look at

·
Registered
967 Posts
I second The Captain, at least as a front. Decent allround xc tyre with a wide range of use. I've settled for a 2.2 on the front with a 2.2 Fast Trak as a rear. They both have a tall, kinda rounded profile that offers a lot of volume but still rolls fast.

The Captain sheds mud very well (apart from the narrow, tightly spaced row of centre knobs), and has decently sized sideknobs for cornering. The intermediate tread is nicely spaced from the edge so transition from centrer to edge is smooth and forgiving of poor technique. Wet boulders and roots are it's weak point though, at least with the cheap sport version I own.

The Fast Trak is excellent as a rear, esp. in hardpack and medium conditions, but can slip in real mud. Grippier than it looks overall (as long as you don't put too high a pressure), effortless rolling and completely silent on the road. I used to be a fan of tall knobs before, after the FT I've changed my mind.

My terrain consists of everything from edgy rocks, small boulders, loose over hardpack, loose over rocks, hardpack, even some road riding to/between trails. All of the above mixed with mud in the winter. I rarely encounter the kind of gloopy mud that stops the wheels turning, but you need something special for that kind of conditions anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.