Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying my first 26" wheeled singlespeed I was surprised at how good it felt, agile, sharp handling and lots more fun than id anticipated. I've got a rig at the moment and Im looking forward to getting a ferrous soon but i was taken aback at the ride, admittedly it was a carbon frame, but it was *gulp* fun. Has anyone else been tempted to join the ranks of the dark side or should i keep my feelings secret?

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
nothing wrong with having both, I will be a 'grey side' rider as of today when I pick up my Mary SS

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
fontmoss said:
After trying my first 26" wheeled singlespeed I was surprised at how good it felt, agile, sharp handling and lots more fun than id anticipated. I've got a rig at the moment and Im looking forward to getting a ferrous soon but i was taken aback at the ride, admittedly it was a carbon frame, but it was *gulp* fun. Has anyone else been tempted to join the ranks of the dark side or should i keep my feelings secret?
Something must be seriously wrong. There's no way a 26" wheeled bike is more fun than a 29" wheeled bike. That extra 3" is everything, man. Changes the experience to something on an entirely different level.

Its not even like riding a bike anymore once you get the big wheels. You corner 28% faster, climb 17% faster, theyre endo-proof, roll better, better traction, brake better, accelerate just as fast as their lighter, smaller counterparts, jump better, better for short and tall people, just as agile as their lighter, smaller, less gyroscopic counter parts, etc.

Plus they use that size on road bikes, and you know thats proven. Look at all the Tour de France wins on 700c wheels!

·
Registered
215 Posts
fontmoss said:
Two kinds of bike, two kinds of fun. I like the 29er ride because it's all about momentum, baby, but I've always appreciated the flickability of the smaller hoops/shorter wheelbase, too.

This "dark side" nonsense is just insecurity-fueled ego-tripping on the part of the zeolots.
Any rider worth his salt knows that mountain biking has long been a "quiver" sport, and that different jobs call for different tools.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
I have a 26" SS and a 29er SS.

The 26" bike is fun, but when the trail becomes anything more than flat, a fully rigid 26" bike becomes a pinball compared to a fully rigid 29" bike.

At least that is the way it is for me.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
FODM said:
This "dark side" nonsense is just insecurity-fueled ego-tripping on the part of the zeolots.
Any rider worth his salt knows that mountain biking has long been a "quiver" sport, and that different jobs call for different tools.
Those of us who've been on this forum for any time know that much of the "dark side" nonsense that shows up here is meant tongue in cheek, as in fillet-brazed's post. I see ironic posts of this nature more often than I see serious ones. Except for a very small handful of frequent posters, much of this board's famed "reputation" for zealotry is fictitious.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
GlowBoy said:
Those of us who've been on this forum for any time know that much of the "dark side" nonsense that shows up here is meant tongue in cheek, as in fillet-brazed's post. I see ironic posts of this nature more often than I see serious ones. Except for a very small handful of frequent posters, much of this board's famed "reputation" for zealotry is fictitious.
Be afraid... Be very afraid.

:devil:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Last year I went from 26er geared HT to 29er Inbred SS and had never looked back. Love the SS, love the 29er, love the rigid!
But... about a month ago a friend of mine pulled an old 26erTrek 800 out of trash somewhere around his neigborhood, and gave it to me, I cleaned it up, replaced the trashiest parts with ones from my parts bin, it turned out to have magic ratio of 32X16. It's heavy, it's rigid, it's 26er, but I rode it couple of times, and each time had tons of fun.
It's fun to be on a bike, they are all different. All sorts of different kinds of fun. Good to switch things around sometimes, to clean and freshen the pallette!

·
time to climb
239 Posts
Endo Proof ?

I disagree with Fillet-Brazed's comment that 29ers are "endo-proof". Although I don't think anyone saw it, I can tell you from experience (and prove it by the 3/4" depression in my helmet) that it all depends on what you're tires are rolling up and over and/or off of, and also distance between rubber and the next piece of ground. 29ers are a blast to be sure, but not "endo proof".:nonod:

Attachments

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
Paulie said:
I disagree with Fillet-Brazed's comment that 29ers are "endo-proof". Although I don't think anyone saw it, I can tell you from experience (and prove it by the 3/4" depression in my helmet) that it all depends on what you're tires are rolling up and over and/or off of, and also distance between rubber and the next piece of ground. 29ers are a blast to be sure, but not "endo proof".:nonod:
If you read it carefully, Fillet-Brazed actually said that 29ers are NOT endo-proof.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.