Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too familiar with the trails in SD, but generally speaking and considering the SD terrain, do local riders have a preference for the 26" or 29er for riding local trails (e.g., using a Fuel EX 8 (26" or 29er) for mission trails, noble, BLT, etc)?

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Uhhhh.....Ford no doubt.

I can tell you I just rode out at Big Laguna today and there were alot of riders today. I was on my new Pivot Mach 6 and numerous people stopped to check it out and ask me questions. If I had to *guess*, I'd say that 75% of the people on newer bikes are on 29ers. I find that to be the case in most places I ride but people on 27.5's are coming on strong if you ask me. That doesn't mean you can't have fun on a 26" bike. We had (2) in our group today and (1) of those guys is by far the strongest rider in our group...:)

·
most memberable
721 Posts
I was up at Laguna, too...on a 26er...got there in my trusty Ford as well!

Probably passed each other, too.

I did the Morris Ranch/Observatory TH (nobody was parked there at 10:00am besides me) to Thing Valley to Red Tail Roost (parking lot was almost full) to connector to BLT to El Prado Campground to BLT to Sunset to Chaco Canyon to Gatos Ravine (took one dirt nap going over a quadruple black diamond obstacle) to BLT to Agua Dulce to Old Country Rd to Morris Ranch/Observatory TH.

*I was hoping to see KOP so I can blaze by his 29er with my 26er!

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
I was up at Laguna, too...on a 26er...got there in my trusty Ford as well!

Probably passed each other, too.

I did the Morris Ranch/Observatory TH (nobody was parked there at 10:00am besides me) to Thing Valley to Red Tail Roost (parking lot was almost full) to connector to BLT to El Prado Campground to BLT to Sunset to Chaco Canyon to Gatos Ravine (took one dirt nap going over a quadruple black diamond obstacle) to BLT to Agua Dulce to Old Country Rd to Morris Ranch/Observatory TH.

*I was hoping to see KOP so I can blaze by his 29er with my 26er!
I was busy today Chief. Tomorrow too, so it's the PM urban/trails mix rides for me this week. Not bad, on either my 26er or my 29er. We rode the same trails (not the 11 miles on pavement to the trails) midweek and I used my 26" single speed. Made it up all of the climbs that I do on the 29er, and some even seemed easier. All in all, our ride from OB to Florida canyon and its' trails rounds out to 22.5 miles, and we do it 3-5 nights a week. Almost always the exact same distance, even though we mix the trails up for variety.

Maintaining 20-25 mph on my road bike is not hard, but having to constantly be on guard against potholes, glass, etc. kind of makes for a stressful ride.

I'm sure if I was riding a 27.5 I'd be much faster, though.

Glad to hear you are actually giving the mtb riding a chance. You don't have to hike ALL the time, no matter WHAT the Sierra Klub tells you!

To the OP, ride anything you feel like on the local trails, as everybody else has said, it's entirely up to personal preference.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
RTSO....we always park on Sunrise Hwy at the "bathrooms". That full lot at Red Tail Roost was a birthday ride group from Dirt Treaders dot com.

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
Obama recently signed a bill making 26ers illegal starting today. So, it's gotta be a 29er for SD.
San Diego is Richard Nixon's "Lucky City", so those marxist atheist muslim rules don't apply here.
Besides, Obama only did that so that Repubs, with 'compensation' issues, would get a bone tossed their way.

Ride what you like. Just make sure that whatever it is, the tires get traction on dry powdery trails.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Maintaining 20-25 mph on my road bike is not hard, but having to constantly be on guard against potholes, glass, etc. kind of makes for a stressful ride.

I'm sure if I was riding a 27.5 I'd be much faster, though.
You're pretty fast. I'd consider myself "among the faster of the slow guys" or "among the slowest of the fast guys" and maintaining 20-25 MPH on my roadie is very difficult unless I'm on flat ground with no wind. Even Fiest Island loops, mid day, 20MPH average is a success.

For the wheel size, I've had a bike or two. I couldn't be happier with my FS Salsa for 98% of what SD has to offer.

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
You're pretty fast. I'd consider myself "among the faster of the slow guys" or "among the slowest of the fast guys" and maintaining 20-25 MPH on my roadie is very difficult unless I'm on flat ground with no wind. Even Fiest Island loops, mid day, 20MPH average is a success.

For the wheel size, I've had a bike or two. I couldn't be happier with my FS Salsa for 98% of what SD has to offer.
On a good road bike, 5 good spins of the crank in a higher/medium gear will get you from a stop to 15 mph, pronto. That kind of speed and stiffness is serious liability to me on the pavement that San Diego offers.
I'm much happier slogging around town on my FS 29er, with full meaty tires. I don't ride to get from point A to point B in the fastest time humanely possible, so I figure giving up 5 mph average speed or even a bit less now that I'm riding 6 nights a week (130+ miles ) is an easy trade for not being stressed by the potential for a bike catastrophe.

My average speed for road bike, hills and all, comes out to 15-16mph. My average speed on the 29er comes out to 11.5-12.5 mph. A lot more comfy, fun, and safe.
If you got a set of fast rolling mtb tires, and lights, (LOTS of lights both front and rear) try it out sometime. We ride from OB every night, just about. The homeless we pass in the dark know us well.

·
GONE
25,527 Posts
San Diego is Richard Nixon's "Lucky City", so those marxist atheist muslim rules don't apply here.
Besides, Obama only did that so that Repubs, with 'compensation' issues, would get a bone tossed their way.

Ride what you like. Just make sure that whatever it is, the tires get traction on dry powdery trails.
Obama has just signed another bill into law and you're gonna like this one even less:

ONLY fat bikes with SS gearing are allowed in SD anymore, effective immediately. No more FS or HT 26ers, 650bers, or 29ers allowed...

WOW, I really feel bad for you guys down there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
also if your crossed the border illegal, you get all bikes for free from Obama, 26, 27.5 and a 29er, in Carbon only!

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
Obama has just signed another bill into law and you're gonna like this one even less:

ONLY fat bikes with SS gearing are allowed in SD anymore, effective immediately. No more FS or HT 26ers, 650bers, or 29ers allowed...

WOW, I really feel bad for you guys down there.
That's not so bad....I heard he was gonna push those one-world unicycles on us...I've seen the emissaries, in their blue UN helmets...

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
But if your rich, the Repub's are going to throw down even more money at you( at the expense of the 95% of us), so a gold plated carbon bike would probably be the best bike in either a 27.5 or a 29er.

BTW, is that you DR?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Right on Jeff and very true, if you work the system as a illegal you can get it all hardcore, that is why I work so hard all my life, so I can support this, at the same time I am still riding my Huffy.

Yes this is DR, miss you buddy, see you up in Big Bear soon....thinking about racing again, maybe the Big Bear race and Rim Noric, ready to bang some bars like old school? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts